PDA

View Full Version : Tiny problem with the 1955 Disneyland model...

Pages : [1] 2

tod
05-09-2005, 07:58 AM
Something looked wrong in the model, and after a minute it came to me...

The Tomorrowland buildings were reversed.

The Plaza ends were facing into Tomorrowland, and the Tomorrowland ends were facing into the Plaza. Have a look. These were not the sides that faced the Plaza.

--t

tod
05-09-2005, 07:59 AM
And these aren't the ends that faced into Tomorrowland, either.

AVP
05-09-2005, 08:09 AM
I was trying to figure out the exact same thing!

CrazyTrain
05-09-2005, 10:40 AM
I have no idea, but, what are those white things?

tod
05-09-2005, 11:26 AM
I have no idea, but, what are those white things?

Shade structures, if memory serves.

Lani
05-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Shade structures, if memory serves.They look like humongous deck chairs -- LOL!

Alex S.
05-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Well, at least the 1955 Tomorrowland at least correctly predicted that in the future our butts would be bigger.

Crazy4DL
05-09-2005, 12:11 PM
Well, at least the 1955 Tomorrowland at least correctly predicted that in the future our butts would be bigger.

:eek:

LMHO!! :D

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Who would make such an error? You would think they would sure check to be positive it is exact!

JCLowesman
05-09-2005, 01:03 PM
As noted on another site by smd4, the railroad siding at Main Street Station is wrong; the siding was placed next to the station instead of away from it, and the tunnel between Tomorrowland and Main Street was also missing.

Someone wasn't doing their homework! :eek:

Ghoulish Delight
05-09-2005, 01:06 PM
As noted on another site by smd4, the railroad siding at Main Street Station is wrong; the siding was placed next to the station instead of away from it, and the tunnel between Tomorrowland and Main Street was also missing.

I don't think there was a tunnel between Tomorrowland and Main Street in 1955

Opus1guy
05-09-2005, 01:08 PM
You would think they would sure check to be positive it is exact!

I'll say. The whole thing is so tiny...the average guest would be hard-pressed not to crush the entire park underfoot!

:)

tod
05-09-2005, 01:41 PM
the tunnel between Tomorrowland and Main Street was also missing.

Actually, the tunnel between Tomorrowland and Main Street -- with the Grand Canyon Diorama in it -- wasn't built until 1959.

--t

Crispy
05-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Looks like whoever assmebled the model must've swapped the buildings and put the north building in the south spot and the south building in the north spot.

sleepyjeff
05-09-2005, 08:23 PM
Or maybe the model is a copy of the original model..........much of the original artwork is backwords so maybe the original model was too ;)

Laffite
05-09-2005, 08:52 PM
There are plenty of things "incorrect" with that model.

Disney Vault
05-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Someone on another board is saying the model is correct and those buildings were changed a few years later. I have no idea if that is true. Are you sure they model is wrong?

TP2000
05-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Someone on another board is saying the model is correct and those buildings were changed a few years later. I have no idea if that is true. Are you sure they model is wrong?

Here's a link to a 1955 postcard image showing the entrance to Tomorrowland. http://www.disneylandpostcards.com/tl_clock.jpg

Clearly the model makers at WDI made a big goof and simply installed those two Tomorrowland buildings backwards.

The suggestion that the actual full size buildings were somehow reversed after July 17th, 1955 and that the model is indeed accurate is beyond funny. The model was built backwards, and I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't fixed in the next few weeks. Someone at WDI is probably very embarassed right about now.

tod
05-10-2005, 05:15 PM

I'm looking at my DVD of Dateline Disneyland with Walt with a mic in his hand, standing in The Plaza, with Tomorrowland in the background.

Yes, I am saying the model is wrong. Not just from my own memory of the Character Shop facade from my childhood, but also from the photographic evidence that I am looking at, right now, thanks to the miracle of DVD technology, specifically the PAUSE button. :D

--t

Disney Vault
05-10-2005, 05:47 PM
That just seems so strange they could make a mistake like that. I hope they fix it soon.

tod
08-07-2005, 09:25 AM
The suggestion that the actual full size buildings were somehow reversed after July 17th, 1955 and that the model is indeed accurate is beyond funny. The model was built backwards, and I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't fixed in the next few weeks. Someone at WDI is probably very embarassed right about now.

That was May 10. It is now three months later, and the screw-up still hasn't been fixed.

--t
wondering how long it's gonna take for the sharp-pencil boys in TDA to finish their cost/benefit analysis before they call in Imagineering and have them fix the damn model

fjhuerta
08-07-2005, 10:34 AM
IIRC correctly, the plaque on the model states that the model was built from photos and memories of people who were there. I remember it because I was suprised that they didn't simply use the blueprints for Disneyland.

Maybe there weren't any to begin with, and Walt built the whole thing based on a master plan that suffered countless modifications... which ended with the buildings being reversed and such a thing.

coronado_g
08-07-2005, 10:41 AM
If the problem gets corrected, will you have to send the entire model back or just Tomorrowland?

tod
08-07-2005, 11:43 AM
IIRC correctly, the plaque on the model states that the model was built from photos and memories of people who were there. I remember it because I was suprised that they didn't simply use the blueprints for Disneyland.

Maybe there weren't any to begin with, and Walt built the whole thing based on a master plan that suffered countless modifications... which ended with the buildings being reversed and such a thing.

I don't care how hazy people's memories are, or how much the plans changed between design and execution. A few minutes of searching on the Internet scared up this site (http://www.disneylandpostcards.com/Tomorrowland.html#pre1967), filled with Disney-sanctioned postcard images of the place.

What we're dealing with is résumé-padding MBAs who couldn't care less, screw up royally, and then make excuses for their inaccuracies rather than fix things.

FWIW, Walt would actually fix mistakes. Like the too-low tree in the Tahitian Terrace. Or stocking the Rivers of America with catfish. Or the Circus, or Holidayland, or the Phantom Boats.

These guys make excuses.

--t

SCUBAbe
08-07-2005, 12:09 PM
i didn't even notice the error....and I don't care if it is wrong. Maybe they figured it wasn't cost effective to fix something only a handful of people would notice ...when thousands think it's fine..:)