PDA

View Full Version : When to go in December...

momtotwins
05-08-2005, 07:51 PM
I've got two choices...take the kids out of school (it will be kindergarten) for a week and go December 9-13 (M-F). Or, we could go when they are out of school (Dec. 19-23), when I suspect most of California is also out of school. The prices at DLH are exactly the same for both weeks, so that's not a factor. I would prefer the later time, but I have a strong aversion to big crowds. Are there big crowds that week? Are we better off pulling the kids out of school instead? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

(This is a great forum for Disney fanatics like me! It was a wonderful resource in narrowing down my hotel choices!).

Wendi
05-08-2005, 08:55 PM
If you don't want to hang out with the crowds, go the first week.

Monte Cristo
05-08-2005, 09:02 PM
I'd say the first two weeks are fairly safe in terms of crowds. Be aware, however, that either the first or second week the park will close at 6 pm on two weekdays for cast parties.

Disney Vault
05-09-2005, 02:36 PM
December 9th - 13th for sure. That is about when I went last year. I have never been a better time of year and I think we will be going back that same time this year too.

socaltexan02
05-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Well, I hate to be one to tell you to pull your kids out of school :geek: BUT...the crowds will be a lot thinner the 9th-13th!!!! ;)

itig
05-09-2005, 03:02 PM
This is our favorite time of year to visit the park -- we usually go the second week in December and the crowds are usually not too bad. Last year, for some reason, they seemed a bit heavy to us and I don't know why. Nothing like summer crowds of course, but more than we like :)

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
05-09-2005, 03:31 PM
This is our favorite time of year to visit the park -- we usually go the second week in December and the crowds are usually not too bad. Last year, for some reason, they seemed a bit heavy to us and I don't know why. Nothing like summer crowds of course, but more than we like :)

The crowds might have been heavier due to the torrential rains and cold the first week in December.

SCUBAbe
05-09-2005, 05:03 PM
whatever you do do NOT go when the have the candlelight thing going on. It was such a madhouse.....I think it was the first weekend in december.

itig
05-09-2005, 05:21 PM
The crowds might have been heavier due to the torrential rains and cold the first week in December.
Oh...I think you're right. I forgot about that.

stinkerbell
05-09-2005, 08:50 PM
We're going December 9-14, too! Gosh, I hope that's not Candlelight weekend....I'd better check on that! Thanks for the reminder!! :eek:

rentayenta
05-10-2005, 05:35 AM
I've got two choices...take the kids out of school (it will be kindergarten) for a week and go December 9-13 (M-F). Or, we could go when they are out of school (Dec. 19-23), when I suspect most of California is also out of school. The prices at DLH are exactly the same for both weeks, so that's not a factor. I would prefer the later time, but I have a strong aversion to big crowds. Are there big crowds that week? Are we better off pulling the kids out of school instead? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

(This is a great forum for Disney fanatics like me! It was a wonderful resource in narrowing down my hotel choices!).

Those are the exact same dates that I was mulling over too. We chose Dec 9-13 for a few reasons:

Much less rush to get back in time for Christmas. We drive from Utah and like to stop in Vegas on the way out and home.

My DD doesn't want to spend her birthday in DL again like last year. I know she is a weird kid. ;)

U2 is Dec. 17 and I will need a full day to recover from the joy of the situation! :D

My kids are off track so school wasn't an issue but I would have pulled them from school if I needed to.

I think the CP is the first weekend in Dec. which is the 3-4.

We went last year from Dec. 19-26 and it was crowded. Crowds don't really bother me as long as they are moving (unlike the crowds on May 5).

The park was gorgeous and I am looking forward to this year's trip! :)