PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report May 5-6

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-08-2005, 10:41 AM
I flew to Phoenix, without kids (YEAH) on May 4th. I fly standby since I fly for free (perk of being married to a pilot), but the flight I wanted to take, at 10am out of Boise, was full. So I ended up leaving home at 5:15 am to take an earlier Southwest flight to Salt Lake, we live 3 hours from the airport. Then I connected to an America West flight in Salt Lake, and got in to Phoenix at about 1pm. My mom picked me up and we did a little shopping. We met my stepdad for dinner at Cheesecake Factory (yum) then went home to get to bed early. I had to be up at 3:30 am to be sure to get to the airport in time for my 6:10am departure. The flight attendant showed up 20 mins late, so we boarded 30 minutes late. Wendi's flight was getting in at the same time as mine, to LAX, so I knew she would be waiting. Then the pilot told us that the fog had settled in on the aiport, because I was flying on America West Express, a 50 passenger airplane, they have lower minimums than America West (who my Dh flies for) and would need an alternate arrival city if the weather was to bad. GREAT! Alternate was Burbank!!! NO!!!
Thankfully we made it in to LAX fine, an hour late. I caught the shuttle over to Enterprise where Wendi was waiting, singed up as an extra driver on the rental car and away we went. We arrived at the Hyatt, which is very nice, comfy beds etc., about 9:30am. We checked in and took the 10am shuttle to the park. Headed to the main gate, not to bad of a line. Attempted to take some photos of the beautiful flowers and Mickey in the front entrance and made our way to Main Street. I immediately heard Michale Eisner talking. Then we got stuck. Tried to get around the crowds by going through the shops and made our way to the spot we were stuck at until the 10am celebration ended. We couldn't see a thing. To me this was not very well planned out, and unless you were in the front, it was a waste of time. Fireworks went off, doves were released and we were on our way. Headed over to Blue Bayou for our 11:30am priority seating reservation. I could not believe all the people standing around, trying to get reservations, they were booked. The standby line was so long, they were telling people it could be 2-3 hours, just for a CHANCE to get to eat. Sorry but I would never stand in line 2-3 hours to eat, let alone just a chance to eat there. We were seated first and got a great table by the water. Our waitress was WAY to happy, but very sweet. I had the Monte Cristo. We enjoyed our lunch and watching people on POTC and we were on our way. We headed over to Haunted Mansion, hadn't been on it when it was decorated for the holiday in a while, it looked great. Line said 40 mins but I bet it was only about 20. We took the train over to Tomorrowland station, I have to be honest, I forgot to even check it out. oops! We wanted to get fastpasses for Buzz. There was a HUGE line to get in to the pin trading store. We were shocked. Got our Buzz fastpasses and headed over to Jungle Cruise. Line was not even 10 mins!! It great. The new effects were neat and it all looked so bright! Our CM was funny too. We met Jen and went to view the first 50 magical years show! Brought tears to my eyes! It was great. Looking at all the old stuff was neat too. After a little more shopping, it was time for the Parade of Dreams.
Rode BTMRR. We grabbed dinner at Stage Door Cafe, had the shortest line, although we had planned to eat Rancho, no clue why it wasn't open!
Grabbed Indy fastpasses and did Buzz. Rode POTC, 5 min wait. We shopped in between and picked out things we needed to buy later. I exchanged my broken bracelet and picked up one of the 50th music double CDs. It is great, listened to it on my 3 hour drive home yesterday.
Found our spot for the fireworks, right in front of the castle. They were incredible.
Made our way over to see the 2nd performance of Fantasmic! after the fireworks were over. Go a GREAT spot!
Our Indy fastpasses were for 10:05 to 11pm so we ran over there after Fantasmic!. Got there at 10:59, hehe.
Looked up where our Happiest Faces pics were and tried to find the one I had on Steamboat Willie, it is WAY at the top.
Caught our hotel shuttle and crashed when we got back to the room.
Woke up leisurely the next morning. Got ready, checked out and headed over to park at DLR. Now this is weird. You enter off of Harbor, pay and get a map which takes you clear around DCA and in to the Mickey and Friends parking structure. We got on the tram and decided to eat at Whitewater Snacks before going to DCA.
Went in to DCA and shopped. Then I needed a cookie. We did single rider for Soarin', waited a while for that. Watched Golden Dreams, which I had never seen and was impressed by. Next we headed over to the Route 66 shop to get our name badges engraved and took a ride on Screamin'. After Screamin' we did the bakery and tortilla factory tour. The we were hungry again (do you see a pattern, eating and shopping? lol) so we ate at the Mexican food there, near the tortilla factory (can't think of the name). Left there and headed over to DLR. Did some more shopping, rode Matterhorn and went over to check on the line for Splash. 65 mins. Nope. So we headed back to DCA to catch the Block Party, shopped a little more and it was time to leave. Headed back to the parking garage and to make our way to the airport. Somewhere we made a wrong turn and were headed in the complete opposite direction of the airport. Thankfully Wendi is an experienced California driver, and got me to the airport in time for my flight.
It was a great trip. Enjoyed not having to worry about the boys. I wouldn't have wanted to have to deal with them or the stroller on the 5th, just way to many people. I can't wait to take them in November!

Mermaid
05-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Great report!! Sounds like you guys had a great time!

Hakuna Makarla
05-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Thank you hon, sounded buisy! Glad you had time with out kids, like me it was so much fun to just not have to use stroller or deal with kids :) Oh and the free flights, just real nice ( lucky girl!!

Faith Trust & Pixie Dust
05-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Sounds like an awesome time--thanks for sharing! I love going to Disneyland with my kids, but I also love it when it's just me and my girlfriends. Glad you had a great time. :)

justlittleoldme
05-08-2005, 08:31 PM
It was great meeting you and Wendi! Sounds like you guys had fun without us ;)

sriggins
05-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Sounds awesome :)

Disneyfun
05-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the report I was wondering how your trip went!