PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Block Party bash

Pages : [1] 2 3

DCADude
05-07-2005, 08:40 PM
I just wanted everyones opinion on Block party bash cause I watched videos of both and the only thing I like in parade of dreams was the anamatronic characters. other than that it was blaw. Now Block Party on the other hand I thought was AMAZING! I watched the videos over over. judging by the audiences reaction this is really going to be a hit.

Disney Acrobat
05-07-2005, 08:48 PM
what anamatronic characters??? most of them are puppets...and the specialty of parade of dreams is amazing, not blaw

Disney Show Member
05-07-2005, 08:51 PM
ONLY THREE ARE AA!!! Lol. Catapillar, Lumier and sebastion. 8 puppets, 10 puppetiers all together :p haha

Disney Vault
05-07-2005, 09:01 PM
I like parade of dreams better. But block party bash looks like a lot of fun.

Disney Acrobat
05-07-2005, 09:08 PM
i believe that Block party bash is a very exciting and fun thing that will hopefully get people to actually go into dca. it is very interactive and fun...i have several friends that participate in that event. Parade of dreams is more beautiful than fun, and it shows the best of what disney is all about, all the magic. i guess you just have to be a fan of disney to appreaciate it...

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-07-2005, 10:18 PM
i believe that Block party bash is a very exciting and fun thing that will hopefully get people to actually go into dca. it is very interactive and fun...i have several friends that participate in that event. Parade of dreams is more beautiful than fun, and it shows the best of what disney is all about, all the magic. i guess you just have to be a fan of disney to appreaciate it...

I am a huge fan of Disney. I appreciate Parade of Dreams, but felt it was short. The floats were amazing, with so much detail.

As for my opinion on Block Party Bash, I thought it was awesome. I don't think video could do it justice, nor could video do Parade of Dreams justice. I am sure when we go this fall, my kids will love Block Party Bash. I thought it was entertaining and energetic.

Wendi
05-07-2005, 10:25 PM

I agree, I am a Disney fan, and I do appreciate the shows they put out for us. I think that PoD was a little short, I would've rather had a shorter show stop, but more floats. The show stop was a little too long for me to sit with one float, but then everything else passed by and it was just over.

Block Party Bash was high energy and I appreciated it, but again, the show stop felt too long, I would've rather seen a shorter act, then another stop later down the line. My three year old would have LOVED BPB (more than I did... but that is perfectly alright with me).

a hyperbole
05-07-2005, 11:11 PM
I went to see Block Party Bash on Friday, mainly expecting it to entertain my 9yo daughter. To be honest, after seeing pictures of the Rainbow Brite look alike costumes, I was expecting to be underwhelmed at best.

Boy was I surprised! Not only did my daughter absolutely LOVE it, but I did as well! I found myself laughing, clapping, and screaming right along with the performers. It was so unique and energetic it was hard to not be caught up in the performance. The stilt-jumping guys were amazing. I thought the Army Guy pre-show was awesome too. Really funny.

On a side note I attended with some friends and their almost 4yo daughter. She enjoyed the pre-show, but was a little intimidated by all the action of the actual parade. She enjoyed it, but was too overwhelmed by the performers to participate. Just something parents with younger children might want to keep in mind.

MyBeast
05-07-2005, 11:56 PM
I work at the park, usually around the parade route and everytime I've seen it (around 10 times so far including rehearsals) I still get into it. My favorite is the army men, they crack me up. So if you see a cast member dancing around in the crowd, it may be me!

DCADude
05-08-2005, 07:13 AM
even though some still pick parade of dreams over Block party bash, it still seems people are way more enthusiac about Block Party Bash. POD is like soarin' over california, really breathtaking but not thrilling, Block Party bash is like screamin' and indiana jones, energetic and fun and whips u all over the place. I also defiently love the song choices for Block party bash. I think they did a really good job. shake shake shake, shake shake shake, shake your booty! shake your booty!

evrythngwmn
05-08-2005, 07:59 AM
I like them both. Parade of Dreams speaks to the nostaligic side in me. I was so excited to hear about the return of some of the elements of past favorites: Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid. Block Party Bash though is what the title suggests, a party. It's fun. It gets you moving, kids and adults alike. I plan to see both of them again repeatedly. :)

Photographer
05-08-2005, 08:11 AM
I applaud the CMs in Block Party because it takes an awful lot of energy to do that show. It just wasn't my cup of tea. It reminded me of cheerleaders, I don't like cheerleaders. I also don't like having a "megaphone" put in front of my face and be expected to scream. I don't scream. The characters were great, I loved see Boo and Walking Stick. So I'd say for me it's :| I just want to see the characters.

DCADude
05-08-2005, 09:47 AM
that okay photographer. Id say about 90+ % of the people so far enjoyed it so thats good enough for me.

Darkbeer
05-08-2005, 11:35 AM
that okay photographer. Id say about 90+ % of the people so far enjoyed it so thats good enough for me.

How do you come up with these numbers??/ You haven't even seen the "event" in person... I have seen it three times now, along with three showings of the Parade of Dreams, and far more people are lining up and watching the Parade of Dreams, and enjoying it. I have have heard many positive comments about it...

On the other hand, I have heard a lot of not-so-good comments from those who have seen Block Party Bash.....

I am glad to see DCA get a daytime parade again... but I think that they could have done a better job coming up with an "event" that did a better job of reaching all ages, not just the kids.

FantasmicFanatic
05-08-2005, 12:21 PM
How do you come up with these numbers??/ You haven't even seen the "event" in person... I have seen it three times now, along with three showings of the Parade of Dreams, and far more people are lining up and watching the Parade of Dreams, and enjoying it. I have have heard many positive comments about it...

On the other hand, I have heard a lot of not-so-good comments from those who have seen Block Party Bash.....

I am glad to see DCA get a daytime parade again... but I think that they could have done a better job coming up with an "event" that did a better job of reaching all ages, not just the kids.

Well of course more people are going to be lining up for POD, it's in Disneyland, the park with many more people! As far as feedback, based soley on messageboards, I seem to be seeing more negative comments on POD than BPB. I love both parades, but BPB is something new and fresh, that could never be pulled off in DL. I am 20 y/o and I very much enjoyed BPB. I was shakin' my booty and clappin' right along. Can't wait to see both parades again!

FF

DCADude
05-08-2005, 01:04 PM
I totally agree with you. of cousre everyone wants to see POD because its in the park with all the action right now. and also I have heard way more good things about Block Party bash than POD. people just want to love POD because its in their favorite park.

socaltexan02
05-08-2005, 03:36 PM
I seem to be in the minority but I wasn't overly impressed with it. Maybe it was just our vantage point. We went on 5/5...we first parked ourselves at the last "party stop" - towards the end of it (actually we were originally past where the blue "party zone" flags are) - but a CM told us we would still be in the "zone". LOL Then, after waiting for about 20 minutes, a different CM said that if we moved we'd be in a better spot, so we did. Well...when the parade stopped I don' think we had the greatest spot after all - and I think if we'd stayed put it would have been better. From what I could tell had we stayed there, Woody and Jesse would have been right in front of us, which my daughter would have been excited about. So, that might have tainted my opinion. My 3 year old thought it was fun, she participated, jumped, screamed, etc. - but all in all it wasn't my favorite (or hers, either). That said, we'll probably see it again sometime - maybe picking a better spot - but I don't think we'll be scheduling our day around making sure we see it. Don't get me wrong, it was fun enough...but I was just not overly impressed. But clearly lots of other folks out there loved it, which is great! Just my opinion. :)

DCADude
05-08-2005, 04:53 PM
hopefully darkbeer will see this he doesnt believe when I say that it looks like people in the audience are having a good time (like you said the people were when you were there)

spectromen
05-08-2005, 07:05 PM
They are both good but I prefer parades that have an emotional element to make you tear up which neither one does. The Bash is great and much needed at DCA (although personally I still miss and prefer Eureka) but I just wish they had spent the money to have some original new songs created just for the parade instead of borrowing from the 70s. That's OK though, it should be a hit anyway judging by the reaction on May 4th.

DCADude
05-08-2005, 07:08 PM
at least they re-recorded them.

Disney Vault
05-08-2005, 07:17 PM
at least they re-recorded them.
Do you work at DCA because you sure seem to promote it a lot.

DCADude
05-08-2005, 07:45 PM
nope I just like it alot!

Mommy2NicknMax
05-09-2005, 06:48 AM
I saw Block Party Bash twice on the 4th. Wow! Those CM's are amazing! It wasn't my favorite parade or anything but the energy was great! The Cast Members really make that parade. I'm sure my kids will love it when we go back in August.

olegc
05-09-2005, 08:53 AM
In today's MP update it shows a photo of how BPB is sparsely attended - particularly near the Pacific Wharf area. I think it's a great show but I believe it's going to suffer from the negative thoughts folks have with DCA.

The park is still fairly new compared to it's older sister across the way so I can imagine that early on the Disneyland parades were not crowd-builders as much as they are now either. People have habits and those habits die hard - so my guess is that folks say "DCA is, is... ...is bad" (mark mcguire inside joke) and tell their friends. So a lot of folks don't go.

This is unfortunate since I think BPB is a great piece of entertainment to get EVERYONE involved with the whole family - which is one of the ideals that Walt had with Disneyland. There is no way to fix this until Sully and Mike to the Rescue and TurtleTalk comes in to draw folks. Then they will see the BPB and hopefully spread the word.. But - this repair of perception seems like it will take a heck of a lot longer than anyone anticipated.

The Lovely Mrs. tod
05-09-2005, 10:26 AM
I was unimpressed with BPB. I am, as always, tremendously impressed with the performers in it, such energy, they're really putting their heart and soul and everything else into it, like they were in the Eureka parade. I always watched that one, the performers were terrific.

Sort of like winning an Oscar (r) for a brilliant performance in a so-so film.

It's the bash itself I found unimpressive. On the other hand, having seen some advance things about Parade of Dreams I expected it to be overblown and ended up being very impressed with it.

Of course, comparing the two is like trying to compare apples and oranges.

-TLMt