PDA

View Full Version : TDA Executives -- They still don't get it

tod
05-07-2005, 04:49 AM
I was reading this article (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-disney6may06,1,5195772.story) in the L.A. Times ths other day and this comment struck me:

The fan outpouring appeared to take Disney executives a little by surprise, even though they had been planning the celebration for more than a year.

Spokesman Rob Doughty, who has worked for such companies as United Airlines, Gillette and PepsiCo, said, "I've never seen this kind of loyalty and passion to a brand."

And this guy is a professional corporate spokesman, used to ladling out nonsense like "Name-of-company has great customer loyalty because we're always taking our service to the next level."

He doesn't get it. And he's supposed to make other people get it.

--t
disgusted

Klutch
05-07-2005, 07:00 AM
In Doherty's defense, perhaps he was saying that he hadn't seen such loyalty at his previous companies; United, Gillette and Pepsi.

Overall, tod, I think you're right. Although, things have improved greatly. When I first started lurking on the Mousepad, almost every post was negative, "The park is dirty, the entertainment is lame, Tomorrowland is pitiful", etc, etc.

I think we should also consider that TDA people are business-types. It's hard to stay in a consistently magic mood when you're crunching numbers, squinting at spreadsheets, trying to get the trash taken away and pulling your hair out over workman's compenstation costs. We should be thankful that people are willing to do that stuff in order to make a clean, happy park. I certainly wouldn't want to do it. :eek:

Maybe we should start a TDA appreciation campaign. Maybe they could use a little magic these days. :confused:

SCUBAbe
05-07-2005, 07:47 AM
or maybe he does get it. It seems no matter what they do good or bad disney fans still pour in. Where would be the incentive to keep improving the park when the pour in regardless. It would be surprisng...especially if he is aware of any complaints about the park.

Alex S.
05-07-2005, 07:51 AM
Oh, he gets it. That is just a backhanded supposedly humble way of saying "we're the greatest." And the crowds wouldn't have been a problem (there were a lot of people but nothing they dont see for most of the summer) if they hadn't messed up the machinery by giving the press control over everything all day. Friday had almost as many people in the park and things were going very well for people (according to various people I talked to while camped out for the fireworks, most of whom had been there the 5th and 6th.

sediment
05-07-2005, 08:31 AM
Every time a new Pepsi product is introduced, I'm right there first in line at the plant.
Gillette Company has a restraining order, though.

tod
05-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Maybe I was too hasty. Maybe.

I remember the near-universal outrage at John Lennon's remark "We're more popular than Jesus" because the printed word didn't convey the disgusted way he said it.

Absent context, I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

--t

TikiGeek
05-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Every time a new Pepsi product is introduced, I'm right there first in line at the plant.I thought that was you!!! I also noticed your sardonic wit on the PepsiPlanet.com message board :D

Osky
05-07-2005, 11:01 AM
I'm just waiting for Pepsiland to open to show my true loyalty to Pepsi...

sriggins
05-07-2005, 11:27 AM
I'm just waiting for Pepsiland to open to show my true loyalty to Pepsi...

Its a world of hiccups, a world of tests as you decide which soda is best, put your blindfold on to see if you really prefer Pepsi its a carbonated world after all.........

Osky
05-07-2005, 11:46 PM
nice!