PDA

View Full Version : Jobs @ DLR

DisneyBob
05-06-2005, 10:49 PM
My friend is thinking about going to casting to interview for a job at Disneyland... He is really interested in attractions. Does casting give applicants the opportunity to list what position/job type they want?

PirateSmile
05-06-2005, 10:59 PM
I think they ask you what positions you would like to be in, not positive though.

Maybe look here? (http://www.mouseplanet.com/kevin/jobs.htm)

MyBeast
05-06-2005, 11:44 PM
Yup, they have a list of available positions and you can list like your top three. Tell him to dress nice cause a lot of times they give interviews the same day. And to above all, be himself.

SilverStyle
05-06-2005, 11:50 PM
Yep make sure he list Attractions has his 1st. Like MyBeast said be himself

ToursbabeC3po
05-06-2005, 11:58 PM
My friend is thinking about going to casting to interview for a job at Disneyland... He is really interested in attractions. Does casting give applicants the opportunity to list what position/job type they want?

I asked of custodial and I got attractions but I was happy I went to attractions. My advice for anyone wanting to apply at DLR.
Just be prepared that Disney is not the happiest place to work. All though many people think Disney employees get good pay and are treated well this is far from true. I think if you go in with the attitude you are going to have fun and you will be there for a short period of time it is a good job but anything long term is out with the new Hour cuts for full time employees that are going to pass on the new contract. This has happened in foods already 40 hour cast member only are garmented 30 hours and to keep benefits you have to work 28 hours. I think this is a real low time for cast members as well so the morale is bad. But I hope this changes for the guest sake.
So if this is a college job go for it but don't look for a future working at Disney like the old days.

disneygalforlife
05-07-2005, 04:34 AM
Most people have a desire to live out their retirement years somewhere and watch the world go by. My 401K money? I am putting it away so when I retire from my career I can work at Disneyland!!!!!

Wesley815
05-07-2005, 07:53 AM
All though many people think Disney employees get good pay and are treated well this is far from true. I think if you go in with the attitude you are going to have fun and you will be there for a short period of time it is a good job but anything long term is out...That is just your POV however and you no longer even work there... I actually have to strongly disagree with you, we are paid fair for what we do (just like any other "only high school education"/entry level job), I am treated well and I *DO* have fun everyday at work creating magic for guests and managers respect me. I've moved up pretty quickly and am happy with that. Again, I guess each CM (or ex-CM in your case) has a different view of things but everything is going great for me.

If you do want to advance in your job with Disney you can't just sit around and say "this place sucks"... you have to talk to managers, and really show that your interested in things. Disney isn't for everyone but it can be a great place to work if you really want to and put your heart into it.

Disney Acrobat
05-07-2005, 08:54 AM
I love to work there... i have never had such a pleasant experiance at a job in my life. yet i have only worked there for a short while... i dont intend and leaving anytime soon. i love the job, the people, the enviorment. i have to agree on one part is that some are under paid, but i live with it cuz i have such a great time at work.

PhilMP
05-07-2005, 03:15 PM
Honestly. I wished I stayed at ODV rather than went to Attractions. I found it boring, repetitive, and Guests are much less smart when loading a vehicle than when buying a churro, and after a time I stopped dealing with Guests altogether, a much better prospect than being an Attractions lead and just putting up with complaints. Just a though. :)

The real reason I stayed with the park for so long was because of the people I worked with. After a time most CMs stopped coming because they wanted to make magic, they came to work so they can spend 8 hours hanging out with their friends and getting paid for it. Sorry to say it, but it's the truth. Most new hires come in all enthusiastic about working and making a Guest's day...3 months later they've admitted that they come to work because they have fun with friends.

Oh, and the new Foods Union, HERE Local 50, is an absolute waste. They should've done the union split AFTER contract negotiations, and have another 4 years to prepare and bring in experienced people from the national level. This went about in entirely the wrong fashion.

Phil

Tambour
05-07-2005, 04:26 PM
I have to whole heartedly disagree with ToursbabeC3po and agree with Wesley815. You really get out of it what you put into it. It's completely about the Cast Member's attitude.

My own experience has been so wonderful since the day I arrived. I moved to CA from several states away specifically to work at Disneyland. I started in an entry level position making next to nothing and working 80 hours a week. Being a new-hire I was usually only scheduled for 20, but I begged and pleaded other CMs for shifts they didn't want. My name was on every bulletin board and written in everyone's address books. It didn't take long for schedulers to know me as 'willing and able' to take the extra shifts, and hop-to-it when there was a call-in or no-show. So inside of 3 months I was always scheduled for at least 40 hours. I never sucked up or kissed any butt, I just did my job with genuine enthusiasm. I really did love every second of being at work.

Along the way I've encountered people at every level of enthusiasm. From the first day you start you will run in to people who hate everything about their job and complain about everything, and others who have been around for many years and still love what they do. The difference between the two is the latter don't lose sight of what it's all about. Every person who works for Disney really can create amazing memories. Things that seem so simple to CMs can make or break an entire guests experience.

What you find out right away is that there is really no such thing as an entire bad day. There are extremely challenging moments, but the nature of working in a place that welcomes thousands of people per day is that those moments don't last long.

When a company employs more then 20,000 people at one site there is just no way someone can expect attention and recognition to come to them. You've got to work hard and keep you're eye on the prize. Let people around you know what you are interested in, and let your managers know where you want to go in the company. Most of the management actually started the same way... right on the parks with everyone else. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

Normally people who make it past 5 months have one of two stories: 1) they love what they do, and they are willing to work past the challenges to make good memories. 2) people who don't like what they do but are too intimidated by a big change to get out. They sit back and complain and infect others with their bad attitude.

You'll find that there are still plenty of people around who love working for Disney, have many many great friends, and really don't let all the junk get in the way of doing great things.

Send me a PM if you want to chat some more.

Ulysses
05-08-2005, 01:38 AM
Tambour is 100% right. The CM attitude is everything. Yes, there are some sucky managers and job politics just like at any job. But in my experience (3+ years in DL stores) the CMs who truly understand and embrace the Disney attitude are the ones who advance in the organization. They are also the ones who have fun.

If you are a good CM with a good attitude there is nothing to stop you from becoming a trainer or lead, or both, within a year from your hire date. Many managers started as part-time CMs. There is an "emerging leaders" development program specifically designed to move interested and motivated CMs into management.

DL is my second job; I don't have the time or energy for a leadership role at DL and am content being a cog in the enormous magical wheel that is Disneyland. But I have been asked and encouraged by management to take these roles and I know any CM with the "right stuff" can move up.

I speak of stores only; foods is another story as others have noted.