PDA

View Full Version : $30 dessert plate?

Pages : [1] 2

arpinl
05-06-2005, 02:26 PM
OK, I have read mentions here and there of a "$30 dessert," and there are three choices, and there is some sort of special plate, etc. But could someone fill me in on the details (or point me to where I could find them)? Like, where can you buy it, what does the plate look like, and so forth? Thanks!

bradk
05-06-2005, 02:31 PM
the 2:20 pm update here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm050504asb.htm) answers all that

DisneyBubbles
05-06-2005, 02:33 PM
$30 for a desert is a bit ridiculous to me. At least they could have done $30 for an entree for crying out loud! :rolleyes:

RStar
05-06-2005, 02:43 PM
$30 for a desert is a bit ridiculous to me. At least they could have done $30 for an entree for crying out loud! :rolleyes:
What gets me is the "buy a $6 desert for $30, and get a free gift!"

Are they kidding? FREE??? Sounds like they are charging $24 for those ugly plates if you ask me.

PirateSmile
05-06-2005, 03:01 PM
:confused: Wow. That's possibly the biggest rip off I think I ever have seen.

bradk
05-06-2005, 03:03 PM
as funny as it sounds, i'm sure they're doing it for legal reasons, either something related to the tax code or some sort of sales law. i can't imagine anyone is obligated to pay $30 for a dessert if they don't want the plate.

and really, ~$25 for a plate is not a ripoff.

biolabetty
05-06-2005, 03:19 PM
I got my plate on the 4th. I think they are very nice, not in my favorite colors, but I liked them enough to get one. Since it was the first day, the servers were confused on how the promotion was supposed to be implemented, and we were too after we had read the sign on the display. I don't usually collect plates, but they were so different, not your typical Disneyland looking stuff, and they come in a nice box for storage. Hopefully, they will iron out the problems soon.

sami869
05-06-2005, 03:21 PM
What gets me is the "buy a $6 desert for $30, and get a free gift!"

Are they kidding? FREE??? Sounds like they are charging $24 for those ugly plates if you ask me.
:eek: That's terrible. Please tell me these are super nice plates and not cheap plastics ones. Even if they are, I still think I'll pass. That's just crazy.

biolabetty
05-06-2005, 04:05 PM
The way it worked was you paid $29.99 for the plate, and you got your dessert free. There have been better gifts (speaking of the dessert), but I don't think that $30 is too much for a commemorative plate, yes it is glass. I've spent the same to buy a shirt at Disneyland. :)

lisap
05-06-2005, 04:50 PM
I'm curious--was there a date stamp on the back of the plate or some sort of logo? I have not seen a closeup shot of it yet. Do you have a digital camera, BB? I would love to see a detailed picture of it. (I'm actually going on Sunday, so I guess I can see it for myself then. :rolleyes: )

biolabetty
05-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Sorry lisap, no digital camera. On the back it says: Special Collector Series, then there is the 50 Disneyland mouse ear logo, Dessert Plate, 1 of 6, Kimberly Irvine's signature (she designed the castle crowns that are now on the castle, the plates are each of one of the crowns that celebrate an era of Disneyland), D which is the logo for Dudson, Disney, and then Made in England by Dudson China.

Included in the box is a copy of a letter from Kimberly Irvine explaining what each of the plates symbolize. I think it looks very classy, and so different than anything else I've seen for the 50th. It is understated and doesn't cry out "I am from Disneyland". This plate is for 1955-60 which is to represent the "Mouseketeer" mouse ears from the old Mickey Mouse Club show. They are hidden well at the base of the crown. The colors are green, blue, and a type of gold. I think you'll like them lisap.

lisap
05-06-2005, 06:51 PM
I think you'll like them lisap.

Oh, I'm all over them. :~D

Thank you for the description, BB. They sound really nice.

Shortiemetoo
05-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Can you pick which plate you want? Or do you have to order 6 times to get plate number 6 for example? Thank you!!!

biolabetty
05-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Currently only plate 1 is available. I was told plate 2 comes out July 17th.

KarenW2
05-06-2005, 10:56 PM
When the four of us were paying for dinner at Storyteller's on Wednesday night, I asked about the dining pin. She said it came out the next day and she couldn't give us any that night, even tho we spent way more than the minimum. Then she went on to tell us they would also be starting the plate promo, but that started on the 5th as well.

The info she had was that the dessert cost $20, but the plate was a "free" gift. We all thought it was a ridiculous price to pay for a dessert worth less than $10, but it was an obvious way to make the minimum needed to get the dining pin, if they let you combine promos.

Seeing and hearing that it's $30 makes it that much more ridiculous! It hearkens back to the 50's, when people used to buy detergent or whatever, just to get the towels, china, etc. that came inside the boxes. I'm sure we won't be adding any plates to our Disneyana collection at this ridiculous price!

arpinl
05-07-2005, 04:24 AM
The info she had was that the dessert cost $20, but the plate was a "free" gift. We all thought it was a ridiculous price to pay for a dessert worth less than $10, but it was an obvious way to make the minimum needed to get the dining pin, if they let you combine promos.

Seeing and hearing that it's $30 makes it that much more ridiculous! It hearkens back to the 50's, when people used to buy detergent or whatever, just to get the towels, china, etc. that came inside the boxes. I'm sure we won't be adding any plates to our Disneyana collection at this ridiculous price!

I'm surprised by how many people seem to find the price for this promotion so outrageous. The dessert by itself would be around $6, right? So you're paying about $24 for a Special Collector Series plate commemorating the 50th anniversary of Disneyland. Assuming you like the way the plate looks, is $24 really that high in the context of a theme park in which a 20 oz. Coke costs 250% as much as it does in the 'real world'?

bradk
05-07-2005, 05:54 AM
if the plate was free, i'm sure we'd still have no problems finding someone willing to complain about it.

lisap
05-07-2005, 06:00 AM
I'm surprised by how many people seem to find the price for this promotion so outrageous. The dessert by itself would be around $6, right? So you're paying about $24 for a Special Collector Series plate commemorating the 50th anniversary of Disneyland.

That's right--you're paying for the plate first, then dessert. I think it's outrageous that people spend five hours in a line for a piece of metal with a rubber backing, but I don't collect pins. It's all in the significance you put on the item. I collect plates, so I don't think it's outrageous at all.

Earkid
05-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Agreed LisaP,

Collector plates, a la Danbury mint, are typically priced over $60.00 plus S&H. And they don't offer dessert with their plates. :p :D

RStar
05-07-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm surprised by how many people seem to find the price for this promotion so outrageous. The dessert by itself would be around $6, right? So you're paying about $24 for a Special Collector Series plate commemorating the 50th anniversary of Disneyland. Assuming you like the way the plate looks, is $24 really that high in the context of a theme park in which a 20 oz. Coke costs 250% as much as it does in the 'real world'?
Don't get me wrong, I know $24 is not too much for a collector plate. Most of the ones fro Bradford run more than that. I don't like the graphics at all, way too plain and bland colors. And the subject matter of the five turrets is not very exciting. And other than the last one of the full castle you don't even know it's about DL. But that's just my opinion.

The problem I have is charging the $30 for the desert, and then saying the plate is free. I'm sure you can find a $30 desert on the menu at high-end resturaunts, but other than club 33 it's not want you would find at any of these resturants.

EandCDad
05-07-2005, 01:27 PM
The problem I have is charging the $30 for the desert, and then saying the plate is free.

It's kind of cheesy marketing. However, if you mainly look at it as desset and a plate for $30, it's a pretty good deal (if you collect plates, which I don't (at least not voluntarily.))

Hakuna Makarla
05-07-2005, 02:08 PM
If they were pretty colored plates maybe but I do not like the look so I would not buy. If the price was 30 dollars and they were colorful plates maybe, but not for those!

AVP
05-08-2005, 09:36 AM
Here's some more information on the plates, from an upcoming MousePlanet article:

A new anniversary dessert is available at select dining locations. The mouse ears-shaped truffle is filled with chocolate and raspberry mousse. Most locations offer it for $6.99, or you can pay $29.99 at select restaurants and receive a "free" souvenir plate. This may make no sense upon first reading, but stick with us. Imagineer Kim Irvine, who designed the crowns used to decorate Sleeping Beauty Castle for the anniversary, provided artwork for this series of 6 collectible plates. Five of the plates each feature her design for one of the decorative crowns, the final plate will feature the decorated Castle. The back of each plate is hallmarked with Irvine's signature.

The plates were created for Disney by Dudson, (http://www.dudson.co.uk/index.asp) the company that also provides fine china to the exclusive Club 33. So you can consider it a $29.99 dessert with a free gift, (as Disneyland is marketing the promotion), or a $29.99 plate with a free dessert. Either way, the plate is not terribly overpriced as such things go, and plate collectors will certainly want to snap up the entire set. The promotion is offered at Plaza Inn, Carnation Cafe, Rancho del Zocalo, Blue Bayou, French Market, River Belle Terrace (all at Disneyland), Ariel's Grotto, Vineyard Room, Wine Country Trattoria (these last three are in DCA), PCH Grill, Yamabuki (Paradise Pier Hotel), Hook's Pointe, Granville's Streak House (Disneland Hotel), and Storytellers Cafe (Grand California Hotel).

MammaSilva
05-08-2005, 09:38 AM
AVP....another ? can you choose which plate to purchase each time? Or are you limited to the one they are offering? I'd hate to go do this and have 3 of ONE plate and not get another of the six.

AVP
05-08-2005, 09:46 AM
AVP....another ? can you choose which plate to purchase each time? Or are you limited to the one they are offering? I'd hate to go do this and have 3 of ONE plate and not get another of the six.They are released one at a time, in order. The current one is the 1950's / Mickey Mouse plate.

AVP