PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Matterhorn Rock in Commemorative Box LE 1000

Osky
05-05-2005, 09:26 PM
On ebay they are auctioning of 50 of the 1000.

Here is a snippet:

Own a piece of your own cherished vacation memories and a genuine piece of a classic Disneyland attraction with this authentic Matterhorn rock from Disneyland in Anaheim, California. Chipped away from the great mountain during a renovation of Fantasyland's Matterhorn Bobsleds attraction, the rock — presented in a special display box bearing the park's 50th anniversary "Happiest Homecoming on Earth" logo — is a Disney Auctions exclusive in a limited edition of 1,000 pieces.

In case anyone is interested: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6530517058

RemainSeatedPlease
05-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Thats pretty cool! Thanks for the link...imagine a matterhorn pet rock! :D

itig
05-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Sorry, but that is so ridiculous. It's a blob of concrete...I just read this to my wife and she said it's sad that they are selling their garbage instead of hauling it to the dump. What's next...

"For the first time ever, Disney Auctions is pleased to bring you commemorative, petrified chewing gum pried directly from the walls and tunnels of the beloved Pirates of Carribean ride!"

Disney Show Member
05-05-2005, 11:11 PM
Sorry, but that is so ridiculous. It's a blob of concrete...I just read this to my wife and she said it's sad that they are selling their garbage instead of hauling it to the dump. What's next...

"For the first time ever, Disney Auctions is pleased to bring you commemorative, petrified chewing gum pried directly from the walls and tunnels of the beloved Pirates of Carribean ride!"

lol. I agree on u with that. It iz just concrete but...ouu...matterhorn concrete az appose to....street...concrete. U dont get street concrete in a devorative box though!!! Wut do u tell people when they see that piece of concrete in your house.
-"I bought that off ebay, its from the matterhorn!!".
-"Uh huh...and u paid $25 for sumthing that broke off the mountain that they were just gonna throw away?"

Osky
05-05-2005, 11:26 PM
I thought it was silly too, but undoubtedly people will want it.

sdfilmcritic
05-05-2005, 11:27 PM
Does anybody have a block of cement I can chip a fist size rock from and claim it's from the mountain?

itig
05-06-2005, 08:12 AM
I thought it was silly too, but undoubtedly people will want it.
You're right...I bet they sell all 50 without a problem.

Disneyfun
05-06-2005, 08:18 AM
I personally think this a hoax. Just my thought

AVP
05-06-2005, 08:56 AM
I knew I should have kept that branch of the treehouse.

AVP

outlaw8
05-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Isn't this like the LIGHT BULB from Electric parade? "Get one before it goes away completely"...People bought those and now it is at DCA...

Andrew
05-06-2005, 09:41 AM
"Get one before it goes away completely"...People bought those and now it is at DCA...
That's "glows away forever". It sure glowed away forever, didn't it?

I've yet to see "Disney's Electrical Parade" at DCA. I am not sure if this is a deliberate "I'm not gonna see it until it's back on Main Street where it belongs!" or just not having been in DCA at the right time.

Opus1guy
05-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Someone from Imagineering packaged up small pieces of the last slabs of the old Disneyland parking lot (where the Grizzly icon would be) and offered them up for free. To say the line went around the block would be an overstatement, but they were extremely popular.

I gotta 1 foot square hunk of Pluto's pelt somewhere. And several other of what some would call "strange" and unmarked pieces of Disneyland history. :)

tod
05-06-2005, 10:43 AM
I bought this old cigarette butt that somebody picked up from in front of the Firehouse in 1959 on eBay for $1500. ($1526.91, to be precise, plus shipping.)

Walt did smoke Virginia Slims, right?

--t

Opus1guy
05-06-2005, 11:03 AM
I bought this old cigarette butt that somebody picked up from in front of the Firehouse in 1959 on eBay for $1500. ($1526.91, to be precise, plus shipping.)

Is that your Starting Bid, Reserve, or Buy It Now price? :)

I've seen tons of folks scoop up confetti off the ground and put them in their purses or wallets or bags or envelopes...at various Disney theme park celebrations around the world. It's just common unmarked tissue paper confetti. Nothing to really indicate it was from Disney.

Some folks just like to collect things as personal remembrances. Many never consider selling them or their future marketability at the time.

Heck, I know people that work for Disney and either purchased or were given at demolition/relocation or "pinched" a seedling or two right from onstage...plants, flowers and trees for their home gardens...just to be able to say to themselves (and perhaps a few friends), "That came from Disneyland!"

Personally I don't think I'd pay for a hunk of the Matterhorn. But if I were, I'd probably only do it direct from Disney (like this eBay auction item) to somewhat assure I wasn't just purchasing a hunk of concrete from some old demolished freeway offramp!

If a friend Imagineer offered me up a small piece for free...I'd probably keep it just for fun, even if it did not come with any certificate of authenticity or other "proof" of what it was. :)

Mermaid
05-06-2005, 12:02 PM
I might be in the minority here but I don't think its that bad! If someone wants a piece of the park but doesn't have the $6000 to spend on a Mr Toad vehicle (yes, that is the current price) then it serves as a nice alternative. At least it beats breaking it off and stealing it!!

Mermaid
05-12-2005, 06:41 PM
ummmm... wow- 50 people bought this for $101.00. Okay- I didn't think $25 was that much, but 100 is a little rich for my blood!!

Mickeyslittlehelper
05-12-2005, 08:21 PM
The good news is they have 950 left somewhere, maybe saving them for July?

You could always take a rock chipping tool to DL...... :~D
But I would never do that.... :eek: