PDA

View Full Version : Hiring Freeze

Pages : [1] 2

WizKidRyan
01-19-2002, 06:52 PM
Does anyone know when the hiring freeze at the DLR will end?

Also, does the resort let you request an attraction to work? Or do they pick for you?

tikiboy
01-19-2002, 08:04 PM
If you are assigned to attractions, you will be in either Disneyland attractions or DCA attractions. You can ask to work a certain attraction but whether you get it depends on what it is. There are certain attractions that EVERYONE wants to work on. The most popular are Matternhorn and Pirates. I'm surprised because I always though the monorail would be the coolest.

But it all depends on what they need. The schedulers do their best to get you what you want, but if there isn't a need on that particular attraction, there's not much they can do.

bluepearl
01-20-2002, 12:13 AM
WizKidRyan, did you start a thread like this a few weeks back? I can't remember if it was you.

I would highly suggest just going to the Casting Center to see what they're hiring for. I went in there and got hired for Store Ops. I really wanted to do Attractions, but I have experience with retail so I guess I would fit in there (though I want to try to transfer if/when I can). They have papers there that say what they're hiring for. And I guess it wouldn't hurt listing attractions, even if it isn't on that paper.

WizKidRyan
01-20-2002, 08:25 AM
Who knows, I probably did start on :D
Thanks for the help though, both of you :)

Upanova
01-20-2002, 10:38 AM
Hey, the hiring freeze seems to be over now. Tourism is picking up...slowly....but we'll see in the next few months.

Went in to fill out my paperwork again and get my ID picture. This week the Casting Center was in overflow status. People were even sitting outside filling out applications. My guess is, that they need more bodies to fill more spaces. Attractions took me back and I go in this next Feb. 2nd for orientation, and Attractions and You on Sunday....

Should be cool to go through that again, but I really want to get right back into the thick of things and get on an Attraction again.

Yes, most people ask for popular attractions to work on, though you may want to think about other "supporting" attractions to work on too...smaller rides offer a bigger chance for you to hone your guest relations skills, as well as the big ones.

Mansion and Pirates are asked for almost 9 times out of 10...if not, a good way to get into the area were you would like to be working on is another way to get the ride that you'd like. Okay, so see that Matterhorn is full up, well then, ask for something near that location, like Monarail or something....If you would like Jungle Cruise ask for Indy, or Tiki Room. I would like to be near the area when Pooh opens so I may ask for Splash...that's one way to get known to the area lead....

It all depends on what's open at the time....

Hope you get what you are looking for! I'll see you all at the Park!

Upanova

BELLEH5
01-20-2002, 11:51 AM
To work at the DLR what kind of experince or background do you need to have be able to work at your dream job? For instance a Tour guide or a princess?

bluepearl
01-20-2002, 10:20 PM
Upanova: I SOOO want to work in Attractions over at DCA! I'm tired of working retail and want to try something else! But ah well; I'm not going to complain since I got the job! I'll just have to work on looking to transfer to Attractions!

BELLEH5: I'm no expert, but I would imagine some sort of experience in stage work may be a nice addition to your application if you'd like to be a princess. I wouldn't know if it was required, though. My dream job, actually, would have to be somewhere in HRM at TDA or something!

MonorailMan
01-21-2002, 08:44 AM
My Top 5 List Of Where I Want To Work At DLR:

Disneyland:
1. Monorail (Main Station)
2. Monorail (DTD Station)
3. Conductor On DL RR
4. Ticket Taker
5. IASW Boat Launcher. (I Lovvve to come up with crazy spiels)

DCA:
1. California Screamin'
2. Mulholland Madness
3. Ticket Taker
4. SuperStar Limo
5. Sorin' Over CA

DLR In General:
1. Ticket Seller
2. Tram Annouser
3. Parking Person
4. Fastpass Person
5. Sweeper

tabacco
01-21-2002, 02:02 PM
Well, you're in luck. 1 and 2 on your disneyland list are the same :)

From what my friend on Monorail has told me, both stations are just part of the same rotation.

WizKidRyan
01-21-2002, 08:06 PM
I always thought it'd be fun to sweep water :)

DisneylandBoy
01-21-2002, 08:18 PM
I REALLY want to work on the Jungle Cruise! I would LOVE to take the boats around and give that spiel! As an actor- that's perfect for me!

Is the Jungle Crusie a hard ride to get hired onto?

bluepearl
01-21-2002, 09:19 PM
Another question about the Jungle Cruise to add to DisneylandBoy's question: do they audition for that position like they do for Innoventions? I was looking at the Disney website and was really surprised to read that they audition hosts for Innoventions (though I won't complain because some of my favourite CMs do a great job in that place and at Drawn to Animation). Today I was on the Jungle Cruise and our guide looked like one of the guides from the canoes. Just wondering!

I'd really like to work at the Hyperion Theater at DCA so I could get to see the show all the time or talk to people about the show.

tabacco
01-21-2002, 10:21 PM
You don't have to audition for Jungle or Canoes. I know there are at least one or two Canoe CMs who are cross-trained on Jungle, so that probably explains it. There's also at least one who's cross-trained on Storybook Land :)

bluepearl
01-21-2002, 10:30 PM
A canoe guide cross-trained for Storybook? I would LOVE to see that! Last time I went on Storybook (which was a few months ago, and has never given me the urge to go on it again), we had a dull female guide. No offense to her or anything, but she just went through the spiel like she was reading it off a book - in a monotone voice. Well, actually, it sounded like bored sarcasm. I haven't come across a really funny female guide on JC or the canoes yet.

But there are a few canoe CMs that are absolutely great and we had this really funny CM for JC a while back (whose name I can't remember). I don't think I could hang as a JC or canoe guide; I don't think I have the sort of charisma or such to do it!

mrfantasmic
01-21-2002, 10:32 PM
For the Jungle Cruise, if you have a lot of experience in theatre, will you get considered more?
I love giving speils (i work at an art gallery) so would love the chance to entertain people here!

tabacco
01-21-2002, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't mind canoes (although I don't like the costume ;)), but I couldn't do Jungle. Jungle's spiel is too tightly controlled. Canoes get more freedom in what they can say.

My personal contribution, used a couple of times by a friend on Canoes: "Ladies and gentlemen, legends say that this river holds many mysteries. Fortunately, most of them have dissolved by now but we'd like to ask that you keep your hands inside just in case."

Disneylandman
01-23-2002, 10:19 AM
Yeah, if you want to be hired in any position you should write it down on your app. I went to the casting office and saw that the sheet didn't say attractions but I put it down anyway and I got hired on the spot! I think it helped a lot that I worked at Legoland before, but even if you don't have expierence you should put what you want down. You never know what will be open. I go to orientation on the 2nd and 3rd.

Upanova
01-23-2002, 11:31 PM
I'll see you there! I have Orientation and Attractions and You Feb. 2, and 3rd. Heh, look for a gal in the black duster, with Nightmare pins on her green backpack. What are you asking for in Attractions?

"Welcome to this Happy Place we call, Disneyland!"

Upanova

Disneylandman
01-24-2002, 12:48 AM
Yeah, I do have orientation on the 2nd and 3rd. I know I have Disneyland attractions and I think I'm going to request indy. I would of requested splash but it is down now so I don't think that will work out. What about you? Yeah I will look for you. Cool, now I will know someone there!

Ryan

BELLEH5
01-24-2002, 10:11 AM
I'm so jealous of all of you who just got hired at the Happiest Place on Earth!!! I's not fair!! I wish I could get a job there, but no I live in Northern CA about 7 hours away!!! Good Luck guys and have fun!!! See you next year when I move down...

........ a dream is a wish your heart makes....

.....when you wish upon a star.......

I guess I need to start wishing or praying.!!!

bluepearl
01-24-2002, 11:21 AM
Alright, I'm going to throw a hissy fit. I wanted to work in Attractions but it hadn't occurred to me at the time to list it in the position I wanted. :lol: Well, not necessarily a hissy fit, but I really wanted to work an Attraction at DCA or something! I'll just have to wait to try to transfer.

I have training this weekend for the general orientation and Store Ops on Sunday. I'm a bit nervous and excited at the same time. And I just recently saw a sign for the Cast Blast at TDA...anybody have any words on that?

BELLEH5: Are you going to be going to school down here?

2CN
01-24-2002, 02:19 PM
Anyone know the age minimums for the differnt areas at the resort? I'm thinking of going over, and wan't to be prepared to know what I could be hired for.

BELLEH5
01-24-2002, 02:43 PM
Pearl- Yes I want to transfer to a community college down there. Then try to a UC. Do know any good community colleges there?
I just started school again. What area are you working in?

WizKidRyan
01-24-2002, 03:18 PM
About 20 minutes from DLR is Mount San Antonio College... www.mtsac.edu

bluepearl
01-24-2002, 11:45 PM
BELLEH5: Sounds like a good plan. As for recommending some CCs, it all depends on where you want to go, where you want to live, and what you want to take. Like say if you wanted to go to UCLA, I have had many friends go to Santa Monica Community College and transfer to UCLA. I've had friends transfer from Glendale CC as well. If you want to be a little closer to DLR, there's always UCI. I go to another UC school nearby, so my drive is about 30-45 minutes, depending on traffic and speed. If you'd like, you can PM me if you have any questions about my campus (most people have a negative view of it, but it's not that bad of a school). Also, I'll be in DTD, hopefully transferring into DCA.