PDA

View Full Version : Taste Pilots Grill

Pages : [1] 2

Rallymonkey23
01-19-2002, 03:24 PM
Whats the deal with everyone saying how good this place is??!! I ate there the other day thinking with all the hype I should try it at least once. Needless to say, I was very dissapointed. I had the Blu Cheese Burger thingy. And it just, well, how do I put it, SUCKED! Can someone please tell me why everyone raves about this place?

HBTiggerFan
01-19-2002, 05:13 PM
Taste Pilots is normally excellent. Their burgers and fries are HUGE. I have tried the bleu cheese burger, and their normal cheese burgers and they were really really good. I think your experience is more the exception than the rule.

As far as I know its the best burgers behind any gate...save burger invasion (McDs)

JoeCanadian
01-19-2002, 06:02 PM
I managed to squeeze in a bite to eat at TPG on my trip a while ago and wasn't impressed either. I'll stop short of saying it "sucked", but it definetely wasn't mind-warpingly good considering how expensive it was.
We had ribs, a kids meal that came with two quarter-sized hamburgers and smiley-face potatoes, and chili fries.

Good - The chili fries. They were huge.

Bad - The kids meal. Pretty lame, really. Like I said, the burgers were the sizer of quarters.

socabch
01-19-2002, 06:03 PM
My kids love the burgers but don't like the cross-cut fries. I happen to like the ribs. Very tender!!! When we go to DCA my family always asks to eat there. Maybe it was an off day (different cooks?).

JoeCanadian
01-19-2002, 06:08 PM
The ribs were definetely good.

I guess it's just the kids meals I'm miffed about :)

socabch
01-19-2002, 06:17 PM
I have heard sucky things about the Kids meal burgers. That's why my kids starting getting the adult burger. But then they are 12 & 14 year old girls. Kind of outgrown the kids meals (boo hoo) now it cost me more to feed them. Oh well.... at least they eat it. Someone told me I could subsitute the cross cut fries with regular. Next time I'll do that.

tikiboy
01-19-2002, 06:48 PM
Is it just me or do the hamburgers at Taste Pilots grill and Hollywood and Dine taste a little funny?
They just don't taste like the hamburgers you find over at Hungry Bear for instance.

Rallymonkey23
01-19-2002, 06:53 PM
Well, maybe my visit WAS an exception. Or maybe it was that awefull "Group 66" that threw my tastebuds off quilter. :)

2CN
01-19-2002, 06:56 PM
I had that blu cheese burger as well, and I thought it sucked- I think if it had just had blu cheese dressing on it, and not blu cheese and bbq sauce, it would've been better... but also even if it had had less blu cheese on, I may have liked it more.. just way too overpowering with the huge chunks of blu cheese. My friend had a regular cheeseburger, and she said it was very good- and she is a VERY picky eater... when we hang out someplace, its hard to find something to eat with her. I did like the fries I got with my burger- I cant remember if they were the crisscut fries or not.. anyone know?

LIMANDL4EVA
01-19-2002, 07:37 PM
i know the mousekameals are supposed to be for kids 9 and under, who cares am i right, anyways, CHICKEN POPPERS are the best food i have ever had ever, the burgers are great too, but everything is top quality, not a bad price and huge serving, plus the themeing in there isnt bad either
A- for me

SpazRobot
01-21-2002, 01:55 PM
TPG is gross as hell. The only place to get a decent burger in either park is at the Tomorrowland Terrance.

hbquikcomjamesl
01-21-2002, 03:20 PM
The only place to get a decent burger

I can't remember ever finding a truly good hamburger in any theme park anywhere. If I want a decent hamburger, I go to In-N-Out. If I want decent theme park food, I look for someplace that has either table or "buffeteria" service, and serves something that requires a plate.

Incidentally, the acid test of a good hamburger isn't the condiments or toppings (although the option of grilled onions helps). The true test is how it tastes completely plain.

EandCDad
01-21-2002, 03:34 PM
Gotta agree with James that any burgers in either park are going to pale in comparison to In-N-Out.

Taste Pilots Grill burgers are probably the best in the resort at a non-DTD restaurant. Much better than Hungry Bear, Tomorrowland, or Village Haus. I haven't tried the blue Cheese but the plain and Cheddar burgers are pretty good. The chicken poppers seem to satisfy my fairly picky young ones.

2CN - the fires that come with the Adult size burgers are the criss-cut fries, they are good. Most people complain about the happy face potatoes.

tjrj
01-21-2002, 03:40 PM
We thought our burgers-regular for husband and son and blue cheese for me-chicken poppers for the younger one-were excellent-especially liked the condiment bar where everyone could add(or not) what they wanted. May have been an off day...and yep, the kid meal happy face potatoes are not a favorite-substitute the regular ones.

Not Afraid
01-21-2002, 03:43 PM
I've eaten at TPG twice now. Both times I had the Bleu Cheese Burger and found it to be very good - not great - but very good. (My dad used to make bleu cheese burgers to die for.) I need to add that both times I've eaten there I have been absolutely STARVING - I wasn't going for gourmet, just FOOD.

The burger I had at the Hungry Bear was also very good. But the same scieniero existed at that time.

I guess the moral of this story is that I only eat burgers when I'm very, very hungry and then I'm not very pickey.

hbquikcomjamesl
01-22-2002, 12:58 PM
EandCDad mentioned "plain" hamburgers at TPG (or considering the theming, shouldn't they be "plane" burgers? ;) I don't recall seeing them on the menu at the door. Do they indeed offer a truly plain hamburger (i.e., just the meat and the bun, as in the acid test of whether a hamburger is any good)? And do they offer any sort of bun other than sesame seed (which I'll tolerate, if I'm having lunch on a train and there aren't any other buns on board, but I don't particularly care for)?

And (again referring to my previous comments) do they perchance have, dare I ask, GRILLED onions? (Incidentally, I've been known to bring my aluminum skillet to church picnics, just so I can have grilled onions on my hamburger.)

tjrj
01-22-2002, 01:40 PM
hbquikcomjamesl-yes, you can get a burger with nothing on it-no cheese, etc. then you can wander over to the condiment bar and add(or not) the condiments of your choice. I only noticed the sesame buns. As for grilled onions-I can't remember.

Ghoulish Delight
01-23-2002, 07:15 AM
Okay, here's the deal with TPG. First off, if you don't really really like bleu cheese, don't get the bleu cheese burger. And I don't mean the dressing. I mean the cheese. You've got to love it. Otherwise, forget it.

Second, it all depends on what kind of burger you like. If you're looking for fastfood style, thin pattied, greasy burgers (and I mean that in an entirely descriptive way. I love 'em), In-N-Out is definitely the place for you. But if you're looking for a thicker, less greasy, meatier burger, then the ones at TPG are quite good. Personally, I appreciate both. Just depends on my mood. I will say this., I can't stand the burgers at Village Haus and Tomorrow Land Terrace. Blech. They've got some weird flavor to them that reminds me of the burgers at my elementary school cafeteria. And I haven't tried a Burger Invasion burger, but if it's standard McDonald's fair, count me out.

hbquikcomjamesl
01-23-2002, 07:46 AM
Actually, my definition of the "acid test" (i.e., it has to taste good plain) sums up my opinion, whether the pattie is thick or thin, panfried or charcoal-grilled. Personally, when I'm getting ready for the annual church picnic, I make up fairly thick 1/4 to 1/3 pound patties of the best ground sirloin I can get, season them with salt, pepper, onion powder, and seasoned salt (Lawry's, of course), then let them sit in the refrigerator overnight, and when I cook them, I turn them frequently, add a bit more salt and pepper while cooking, and try to catch them just as the last bit of pink is going away. If I get it right, the result is extremely juicy. The thing about In-N-Out is that they, too, use a good grade of meat, season it while it's cooking, don't overcook, and serve it extremely fresh. (And am I the only one drooling on my computer keyboard?)

Cadaverous Pallor
01-23-2002, 10:58 AM
Mmmm.....food.

I can't go to lunch yet! :crying:

My 2 cents on the topic - I had the chili burger and that was really good. I'm not a fan of bleu cheese.

Oh, and I really don't like the burgers at DL - Village Haus, Tomorrowland, etc. All of the food at DCA kills the stuff across the way. I bet they get a lot of park hopping around lunch time.....

tinkfreak
01-23-2002, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of any of the burgers at the resort. They just lack flavor. However, in a pinch, I will eat them, especially lately 'cause everything else is closed!

About TPG...

My boyfriend and I decided to try it one night and we were sorry. He had just gotten his two park premium and he was paying for the meal with his credit card. We were both unsure of the food discounts since both of us had only had the basic anual pass before and I had been signing us in as a CM for about a year after that. (I don't work in foods so you can't get me there!) Anyway, we were just asking about, not expecting the discount. The CM at cash was SO rude. She rolled her eyes and told us loudly that they did not offer a discount. We HEARD her. My boyfriend, still fumbling with his wallet hadn't put his AP away yet. She inturupted my ordering, stuck her hand out, and said "I SAID NO DISCOUNT!". EEww. What a hag. The CM that got us our food was not much better. She practically shoved the one CM who was trying to offer guest service out of the way and told us we would have to wait since we ordered something with chicken. (The nasty chicken salad thing.)

The Cm expierience aside, the food was HORRIBLE! The chicken in the salad was edible, but the dressing was sour and the lettuce was soggy. My boyfriend got the cheddar-burger. The meat tasted so bad. I tasted it - it tasted just like metal.

Needless to say we went to guest relations on this one. I realize I'm a CM but I was still a guest that day and so was my boyfriend. We made sure the manager at TPG knew what awful performances his CM;s turned in and we told him about the quality of the food. He seemed much more shocked about that. We made sure he knew that we weren't after free food or anything. We just wanted him to be aware of the situation.

I will NEVER, NEVER eat there again!

EandCDad
01-23-2002, 11:52 AM
That's interesting about the discount. I also asked if they had a discount. Asked, mind you, I didn't demand. It was an inquiry. The CM at the register, while not as rude as the one TinkFreak described, was not exactly friendly in her response. It was a curt "No". Its hard to describe in writing but it was almost like she thought I shouldn't have even asked.

Maybe they have had some problems with other APs on this issue. I don't memorize the list of where you get a discount, I generally count on asking at the register.

MickeyD
01-23-2002, 01:23 PM
I am so glad I'm not alone in this. I didn't read this thread before because I thought everyone would be talking about how great TPG is. Well, I didn't HATE the cheeseburger that I had, but I just thought it tasted really weird, like it had a strange seasoning, or was not beef. It tasted strange enough that I haven't been able to bring myself to give TPG a second chance.

Horace Horsecollar
01-23-2002, 01:39 PM
i can't speak for DCA, but the only good burger I've ever had at Disneyland was at the old Tahitian Terrace back when it used to be open for lunch--juicy, car-broiled to perfection, plenty of tasty fries. It's too bad they closed that place way back when--it was the best-kept lunch secret in the park.

Mouse
01-23-2002, 06:15 PM
I refuse to eat hamburgers at Disneyland. They are all slightly too gray and a funny shape that reminds me of a elephant foot print (like they have elephants stomping the patties flat or something...). DCA hamburgers are better and the best by far is the DCA Cast Cafe hamburgers.... which is not all that important to most of you guys.:rolleyes:

The one time I went to taste pilots grill I found the food relatively good considering it was theme park food.