PDA

View Full Version : Should I do a DL tour?

arpinl
05-04-2005, 03:43 PM
My first ever trip to DLR will be later this month, and I can't decide whether it makes sense to spend several hours doing one of the DL tours. I will have three full days for the theme parks, and originally my thinking was, "Hey, it's my first trip, I want to focus on seeing as many attractions as possible. 'A Walk in Walt's Footsteps' might be nice for another time."

But now I'm second guessing myself. I'm 21 and traveling alone, so I will be pretty mobile/flexible/etc. I'm wondering if the new 50th tour, in particular, would make sense; I would love to avoid fighting crowds and/or showing up incredibly early to get good viewing for the Parade of Dreams, and I'm thinking I may have time to do all I want, anyway--even with 3 or so hours spent on a tour.

Cost is not an issue. And while I realize that no one has actually done the new 50th tour yet, I would love to get some feedback on my situation in general.

Thanks!

Niwel
05-04-2005, 03:49 PM
I love tours -- I've done several tours solo and they are tons of fun! I think you will enjoy taking one (you will find reviews of all but the new one in the MousePlanet archives -- the new one should hopefully be there next week at the latest). Since it is your first trip, you might like Welcome to Disneyland -- if you are up for a little more advenuture I would do Walk in Walt's Footsteps or the new tour (especially since it is for a limited time only). The 50th tour (based on when you go) includes prime viewing for the parade or fireworks -- plus a ride on some of the park's best attractions). :fez:

bradk
05-04-2005, 03:57 PM
i don't know if anyone of the tours qualifies as being 'several hours,' the longest run about 3 1/2 (4 if you include the perks the 50th tour offers) and with 3 full days, as long as you're going by memorial day weekend, you'll be plenty fine making up for any potentially lost time.

most of the tours get you on attractions with priority access via the tour. the welcome to disneyland tour which is fairly basic will also give you bonus fastpasses and priority seating for something (probably aladdin). if you want content, the walt tour will offer you a bit (a lot of people seem to like it, although i've heard from one unimpressed person who advised me all the content is stuff that can be found through a little bit of research or reading a book or two). hopefully we'll get more details on the 50th anniversary tour tomorrow since MP fully booked one of them. i booked it myself, quite honestly, for the sole intent of the priority viewing of the afternoon parade. i probably could have done without the tour (in a parallel universe, i was also contemplating the welcome to disneyland tour because i felt the 4+ fastpasses you get from it make up for the time and the $25).

Mooshu
05-04-2005, 05:42 PM
I feel if you are going on the weekday, less crowded, lines will be shorter and you will have more free time. The special 50th tour seems like the best choice at this point because it would focus more on the special events happening at the park and will probably point out some of the special features they upgraded.

The Walk in Walts footsteps tour is EXCELLENT. I loved that tour!! It was longer than normal and had more of the history of Disney.

I would recommend a tour if you are going on the weekday.

HAVE FUN!!!

arpinl
05-05-2005, 04:14 PM
i don't know if anyone of the tours qualifies as being 'several hours,' the longest run about 3 1/2 (4 if you include the perks the 50th tour offers)

Well, I was using the standard definition of "several"--as in "more than two or three but not many." Plus I would imagine that I would be asked to show up 'x' amount of time early for any tour I reserved.

Be that as it may, thanks to everyone for the feedback!

bradk
05-05-2005, 04:17 PM
you do have to pick up your ticket in advance which i guess essentially lets them know you're there. i believe you can show up at the scheduled time (altho early never hurts). i think they'll wait up to 15 minutes for people who haven't yet showed.

mkcbunny
05-06-2005, 12:19 AM
Bucking against the trend here, I do think you should wait. The tours can be outstanding, but I really think you get more out of them when you know a little more about the park. That way you can ask questions. And I do think it's better to experience the park "on stage" first, to form your own magical view ... before you go backstage and see the normal, everyday stuff behind it all.

But that's just me. It took me about six years to do a tour. And I should say that the one I did was well worhtwhile. Just be sure to pick a tour that sounds really apppealing to you. [There are some that are very kiddie-oriented, which may or may not be your thing.]

OK, last posting before going offline. Won't be back until AFTER my trip to DLR next week. Woooo Hooooo!!!!

05-06-2005, 02:42 AM
And I do think it's better to experience the park "on stage" first, to form your own magical view

Well said.

CrazyTrain
05-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Well, I was on thr 50th tour and I liked it. AVP is organizing reviews of it, so pretty soon you'll have some first hand accounts of it. But the parade seating was great, and we got on three attractions (well, more or less). I knew some of the stuff our guide told us but a lot I didn't. (Like how one of the towns that Main. St. was modeled after was the town I went to college in!!).

It was my first tour ever, and I think a tour (that or the other!) would be beneficial! :)

HskrShelby
05-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Can anyone give me an idea of how many tours there are? I'll be there in July and have never taken a tour before. Thanks!

bradk
05-06-2005, 12:44 PM
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/parks/listing?name=DisneylandParkToursListingPage

the page says there are 5, although it only lists 4 and one of those is the VIP personal guide option. the missing one is the 50th anniversary tour.

HskrShelby
05-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Thank you!