PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report and thank yous!

Gramiangel420
05-04-2005, 12:46 PM
:) I want to thank everyone on the boards that gave tips to me. We arrived at GCH on Saturday, March 19th. It is so awesome. We had a room with a DCA park view and it was a terrific room. Some people had mentioned that the rooms are small, but we had a two bed room and it was fine. It was my two daughters and my grand daughter. DGD wanted bunk beds but it was not to be.
We left our stuff and went to DTD, where our first stop was at Libby Lu's to make reservations for DGD. They didn't have anything until Monday. We made the reservation. (Thanks to all of you who said this was a good idea) Then we walked all over exploring the shops and such.
We had dinner at White Water Snacks. The prices there were higher than I thought from what we had read here, but the food was fine. We got the chocolate tuxedo strawberries that were under $2. That was a better price than elsewhere in the park.
The next day, Sunday, March 20th, we had a 8am preferred seating at the Princess breakfast at the Plaza. We got in line around 7:15am and were surprised to see how many people were already in line.
We actually were the third group in our line, but soon the lines were very long.
It was a special radio promotion day or something. As the clock clicked just past 8 we heard the band and saw Mickey coming toward the gates with the band and Danny Bonaduci.
A family must have won the previledge of opening the park with Mickey, the band and Danny as the family that was at the head of our line joined them and they pronounced the park open.
Before we entered my DGD was hollering hi Mickey and my DD#1 was yelling, "Danny,Danny" :rolleyes:
When we went in DD#1 took pictures of DGD with Danny. Then we hurried to the Plaza. We waited a short time and were let in. My DGD had worn her princess Aurora dress and tierra. (After reading here we opted for tennis shoes with the outfit and carried a change of clothes.) We all had a wonderful time and the food was terrific. We loved all of the character interaction. We mostly stayed at our tables and waited for the characters to come around, as we were told to. The beast could not come where we were so DGD and her mom DD#2 went to him. Everyone was so nice to us and signed my DGD book and took pictures and we thanked them each and every time. Bert in his dressy best was there with the penguin. They chatted with DGD and took pics and signed the book.
On the way out Mary and Bert were sitting on the porch and DGD went over to get Mary's autograph and photo. Bert said"Well, well, well if it isn't Michele" She was very excited.
Next we went straight to the Buzz Lightyear ride. I liked that we could email the photos to ourselves. On later rides during our days there something was wrong with the computers and though we got our pictures it showed us with 0 as our score no matter what it had been while we were riding. Looks like we were terrible shots. :p
We went to our hotel and DGD#1 changed into her shorts and t-shirt and we went back to DLR. At the shady tree as we entered we noticed Bert and Mary were greeting people, now they were dressed in their regular nanny and chimney sweep clothes. DGD#1 wanted to wave at them, so we did from a short distance away. They smiled and waved and Bert said to Mary, "Why it's Michele" and Mary said, "Oh she has changed out of her princess dress." Michele was very excited, they made her day by remembering her name. It was very sweet. :D
I will say we had a lovely weather. On Sunday night we were joined by my son, daughter in law and DGD#2 and DGS. DGD#2 is around 18 months and she loved the Pooh ride, we did this one around 3 times waiting for everyone else to ride Splash Mountain.
Then we headed for Haunted Mansion and Pirates, while Fatasmic was on. We went right on the rides. In fact we rode POTC twice.
The next day we went to CA and looked for the Incredibles. We searched and searched, especially the back lot, but no luck.
DGD#1 went for her appointment at Libby Lu's. They did not have her at her listed time. They said that whoever typed the list must have skipped her name. Lucky for us they worked her in. She picked the princess look, of course and was thrilled with the hair and the shiny stuff. They did not put alot of makeup on her so she didn't look like some of the posts had warned about. :eek:
While they were doing Libby Lu, DD#1 and I went on TOT. I wasn't sure I would have the nerve, but I LOVED it. We did not have a very long wait, about 15 minutes. The line kept moving along. We were in the back row. When we got out DD#2 and DGD were waiting for us. DD#2 wanted to go on TOT, but DD#1 said once was enough. So while DGD and DD#1 went to look for the Incredibles, DD#2 and I went on the TOT. This time we had a front row seat. It was so much fun, but DD#2 said that once was enough.
We met up with my son's family and rode soaring over California. We had a baby pass for my Daughter in Law, so when we got off she went with her son, so he was excited to ride it again.
For dinner that night we went to Goofy's kitchen. It was fun and the DGKids loved it. They got to sing and dance and characters came to our table. My DGD#2 kissed Minnie on the nose and we didn't have the camera, but she loved the characters. The food was ok, but the fun was the best.
We all rode the monorail for the first time, that was fun. We do have a monorail here in Seattle, but it doesn't take us to the happiest place on earth. ;)
My DGS liked the Buzz ride the best so we did that a bunch, he is also a train nut so we rode the main train and Casey JR. DGD#2 did not want to leave the carosel, luckily it wasn't crowded and she was able to ride a couple of times before her mom made her get off.
Back to the HM and POTC while Fantasmic was on.
The next day we rode the Sun Wheel, the jelly fish, Mullholland Madness(sp), looked for the Incredibles, Bugs life and all of the rides in that area. We went to Ariels Grotto for lunch. We had a great time. The characters are so funny and the food was off the menu, where at the other two character meals we went to it was buffet style. It started to rain and I bought ponchos, I didn't do what people here said and get the two for $1 ones at the dollar store. I will next time.
DD#2 took DGD#1 to find the Incredibles and they did. Wow finally.
I am almost done but I will have to wrap it up tomorrow as I have to run now.
If you made it this far you are amazing. :D

Mermaid
05-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Great report so far!! Keep it coming!

PirateSmile
05-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Sounds like lots of fun :D Keep it comin' please!

Hakuna Makarla
05-04-2005, 04:45 PM
sounds great!! ok, keep it coming :)

Gramiangel420
05-05-2005, 08:41 AM
When the rain started getting really bad my son took his family and went back to their hotel (not GCH) to take naps. My DDs and DGD#1 went to the animation place at CA. We found out who we were in the Beast's library. I think I was Cinderella. We put our voices to the cartoons and we watched the Walt movie. Even the 7 year old was facinated by the history of Disneyland. I fondly remember Walt Disney opening the Wonderful World of Disney every Sunday when I was young.
We went back to the GCH and rested. My DDs went shopping and came back with Golden Mickey ears for me with my name on them. It was a good souvenir to have of the 50th birthday. :D
My DD#2 went with me to use our Grizzly fast passes. It was still pouring down rain and very dark by now. We did not have to wait at all or use the passes. I guess the rain does scare people inside.
This ride was less scary than I had anticipated. Next time I will try to encourage DGD#1 to try it. It was fun and we did get wet, but we were already wet from the rain. :)
My DDs and DGD#1 went to the TIKI room, it is very nice since the restoration. Unfortunately the food stand was closed.
We all headed back to the POTC and tried to phone DS. We got them and asked where they were and before they could tell me I looked up and they were at the Churros cart over looking Tom Sawyer Island and between POTC and HM. We all did Haunted Mansion again and POTC. No real wait on either ride. Of course due to the weather Fantasmic was down, :eek: I shouldn't have waited until the last night to see it. LOL! I have seen it before, but I will have to plan more carefully in the future.
DD#2 was tired and took DGD#1 back to go to bed. The rest of us went to Buzz again. DS and DGS and I also went on Star Tours and we went on Autopia for the 3rd time. We had a great trip and I forgot to list all of the Fantasyland rides we went on, but we did. I did eat the bbq chicken kabobs in adventureland. Next time I will try the asparagus spears, the chicken was tasty, but very, very dry.
We had a bunch of magical fun and cannot wait to go back. In fact DD#1 is going with friends around July 17th, which is her birthday. She loves to be at Disneyland to share her birthday with the Mouse.
Small regrets:
I tried to get honey popcorn, but everytime I went to the cart it was a 30 minute wait, I always seemed to miss it when they still had some.
I never stopped to try the corndogs.
No BB and monte cristo sandwiches. (or anything else)
Missed the parades, my DS is a night person and that is when his family rode most of the rides and I wanted to be with them.
No matterhorn, either side.
No Indiana Jones, I tried to go as a single rider, but they weren't offering that at the time I went and the ride was over an hour wait. My DDs did not want to go on this ride.
Aladin Show, no time this time and I was sick last year when my family went.
:crying:
Things I am looking forward to doing again:
California Screaming, I did go on this and it is my favorite ride at CA, but almost tied with Soarin'.
TOT, wow, I thought I would hate this one, but I loved it.
I guess I am really looking forward to everything. If I lived closer or won the lottery I would have an AP and be there all of the time. You can never get too much magic. :D

So thanks for making it all through this late report. I enjoy this board so much and you all helped make our trip the best one yet.

One last thing, I loved the GCH, but next time we will return to the hotels on Harbor Ave, because as it has been said here before, how much time do we really spend in our rooms? I am not sorry we stayed there and if we save enough money we may one day try the Disneyland Hotel, but for the near future it will be crossing the street with the crowds. :)

Thanks again!

Crazy4DL
05-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Thank you!! fun report! Glad you and your family had such a good time.

From one 50ish grammy to another, I am impressed that Screamin' is your favorite, wow! I did that one once and then felt sick for 3 hrs. after. I LOVE Soar'n :D I am bound and determinded to try TOT in August - you have given me more hope I CAN do it, I can, I can ;)

yellowrosedtxn
05-05-2005, 11:02 AM
Thank you for posting this report. I really enjoyed reading it and I loved the fact that Bert remembered your DGD's name. I am sure that made her feel so special!

Gramiangel420
05-05-2005, 11:10 AM
:) Crazy4DL
I never liked rollercoasters and only rode CS because I wanted to see if I could. The adreniline rush made me feel very happy. Tower of Terror is different but it was fun, so try it at least once.
I forgot to say, because I had posted earlier in April or something that all of my DD#1's film did not come out and we didn't have any of Princess breakfast pictures or the Incredibles that we hunted for, for soooo long. :crying:
My son did take pictures at the other character breakfasts and we had our Buzz pics, even if they made us look like horrible shots. :rolleyes:
Thanks for reading the report and I look forward to reading ones from all of you!