PDA

View Full Version : Jungle Cruise Soft Opening Tuesday 5/2 (SPOILERS)

SteveK
05-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Went to the park tonight and walked by the Jungle Cruise just as it opened around 6:15. Got on the second boat out and all I can say is wow...they really did a nice job upgrading it.

Spoiler Space
Here's what I remember.

First up is the "amazon rainforest". Lots of heavy mist through this area, you will get slightly wet. Alot of little cosmetic changes and additions here and there. It seems like they added alot of alligators on the shores through this area and just as you enter the temple area, you'll notice some very large spiders now adorning the archway.

The elephant pool seems to have alot more elephants. I don't remember if it was there before or not, but there is a large elephant toward the back that's scratching his belly on a rock. In General, everything throughout the ride looks much nicer...they really cleaned up alot of the "animals".

Again, lots of little changes along the way and then you have the two most significant changes. The Gorilla area now has one gorilla holding a pistol and shooting it all over the place. You can hear the bullets clanking off stuff on the shore ala Pirates of the Caribbean. In addition, there is now a large explosion in the middle of the river that sends a giant plume of water in the air. I believe this is the part where the gorilla is throwing dynamite into the river. In any case, the effect is very cool and adds alot to the ride.

Next up is the last part just past the back side of water and just before trader Sam. There are several new paintings of pirannahs on the rocks which sets up the next area. Suddenly, the water all around the boat begins to bubble violently. Next thing you know, there are pirannahs jumping around in the water all around you. They're actually on some type of wheel that rotates them in and out of the water. As they spin, they spray water out of their back ends and into the boat. You can get fairly wet here. The effect is again very well done. Last up is trader Sam. He looks different to me for some reason and he now has a small elephant in front of him.

All in all, some great changes/enhancements to the ride. I'm really happy that they're making changes that enhance the rides but don't take away too much of their original charm. Great Job on this one Disney.
-Steve

blueckles
05-03-2005, 10:31 PM
Sounds cool. I can't wait to go on it. It's weird how you don't realize until you can't go on a ride, how much you really miss it. Thanks for the update!

sdfilmcritic
05-03-2005, 11:11 PM
Sounds awesome. Thank you for the report.

RemainSeatedPlease
05-03-2005, 11:16 PM
oooooo :eek: ...i want too go even more now.... -thanks! :D

millionairegirl
05-04-2005, 05:19 AM
Is the backside of water ok? I heard the waterfall collapsed during refurb.

sdfilmcritic
05-04-2005, 05:20 AM
Is the backside of water ok? I heard the waterfall collapsed during refurb.Yes, it collapsed due to old age, termites, and what not. It has been fixed and repaired.

05-04-2005, 05:22 AM
SteveK, thanks! Great report.

bradk
05-04-2005, 06:29 AM
actually, what i heard is that while the front side of the waterfall is still okay, there may be some functional problems with the backside of the water.

(yes, kidding).

nursemelis374
05-04-2005, 07:46 AM
This sounds great! I love hearing positive things about DL. My only concern is about getting wet. I hope it isn't too wet!

KeithOfTerror
05-04-2005, 07:51 AM
Sounds cool, and I'll definitely hit it up tomorrow when I go.

Do the skipper's still keep their cheesy spiel, though?

SteveK
05-04-2005, 07:55 AM

Yes the Cheesy spiel is still intact. The only real changes occur where the ride has been changed.

As for getting wet, it's not too bad and I quickly dried off. People were really suprised by the new effect, that's for sure. I wondered why the seats were all wet when I first sat down...now I know.
-Steve

amarvel
05-04-2005, 07:58 AM
Sounds very cool, thanks!

sunfun94
05-04-2005, 09:37 AM
ok, heres a newbie question for you...how in the world do you find out whats up with the spoiler box?? I know I missed everything that was actually a spoiler in that original post and for the life of me I cant figure how to look in it! lol...*screams help as if on a mtn top* :D

Earkid
05-04-2005, 09:39 AM
The easiest way to see the spoiler is to hold down the CTRL key then hit the A key.

sunfun94
05-04-2005, 09:42 AM
The easiest way to see the spoiler is to hold down the CTRL key then hit the A key.

Ha! How cool! Thanks! (wow, I feel like a dork for not realizing that one!)

*edit...cool update thanks! I cant wait to see it tomorrow!:)

Disneyfun
05-04-2005, 10:00 AM

I will be not far behind you in line !!! It sounds great!!!

wishIwasthe_Mouse
05-04-2005, 12:37 PM
I just heard from my best friend and his wife who are at DL right now. they just got off the reopened JC and said it was great. i wont spoil anything but I will say that his wife came off the ride dripping wet and the new FX are great.

Alex S.
05-04-2005, 01:03 PM
Just ran some photos in today's coverage of the events.

http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm050504as.htm

maryxmas
05-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Just ran some photos in today's coverage of the events.

http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm050504as.htm
Yay! I was waiting for these. Thank you!

Kamikaze666k
05-04-2005, 11:40 PM
Seeing the Jungle Cruise boarded up when I went at the end of March was pure torture. I went for a day in December of 2003 and went on the ride 17 times. The next time I went I had a less willing partner and only made it about 10 times. Next time I'm going to try to go on 25 times. (At least) :~D

Disney Vault
05-05-2005, 02:13 PM
I just watched the video of the ride and it looks so cool. I use to sometimes skip this attraction but this makes it a must do again for me.

CrazyTrain
05-06-2005, 11:53 AM
The JC is even better than it was now! I was so surprised at one part, though, that I jumped and banged my knee into the engine! *lol*

My Skipper on the 5th was HORRIBLE! He hardly told any jokes. (most of his spiels like "the natives are dancing. Look tat them dance.") Very monotone and he messed up about EVERY joke - stumbled his way through. He never looked at us, either. Oh and he also totally spoiled one of the new additions to the cruise.

I was very happy I rode with with a god skipper on the 4th and was adaqutely surprised.