PDA

View Full Version : Kelsey Grammer Falls off Stage at DCA

Pages : [1] 2

awinner
05-03-2005, 09:38 PM
They just showed on the news Grammer giving a speech at DCA and while he was walking fell off the stage....he did not get hurt though.

sdfilmcritic
05-03-2005, 09:40 PM
A comedy stunt, perhaps? I feel sorry for the poor dude, but this makes me think of a comedic attempt like I would have seen on an episode of Frasier.

MickeyLumbo
05-03-2005, 09:43 PM
A comedy stunt, perhaps? I feel sorry for the poor dude, but this makes me think of a comedic attempt like I would have seen on an episode of Frasier.

it was no joke. he was clearly stunned. about 5 Stage Managers rushed to his aid, after a few minutes, determined that he was unhurt, he went back onstage and resumed his lecture.

sdfilmcritic
05-03-2005, 09:45 PM
it was no joke. he was clearly stunned. about 5 Stage Managers rushed to his aid, after a few minutes, determined that he was unhurt, he went back onstage and resumed his lecture.It was in the middle of his speech? :eek: Poor guy.

Darkbeer
05-03-2005, 09:45 PM
As reported on KTLA, Channel 5, who showed video of the minor accident.

Kelsey Grammer was addressing the Media as part of the 50th celebration events, and was pacing the stage, when he basically stepped off the stage.

The Aladdin stage is jagged along the front edge.

He was helped back up onto the stage, and looked like he did not get seriously hurt. He continued his presentation.

merlinjones
05-03-2005, 09:48 PM
DCA is cursed!

sdfilmcritic
05-03-2005, 09:50 PM
DCA is cursed! :eek: You're not supposed to mention those things we do not talk about. It adds to the wretched curse. :eek: ;)

Alex S.
05-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Definitely not a stunt and if he isn't hurt at all it is amazing luck.

It was a spectacular fall.

Alex S.
05-03-2005, 09:58 PM
He even apologized for his language too.

TikiGeek
05-04-2005, 07:39 AM
Definitely not a stunt and if he isn't hurt at all it is amazing luck. It was a spectacular fall.I agree. It was scary to watch - I'm glad he is O.K.

oregontraveler
05-04-2005, 07:46 AM
I just saw the video, looks like he fell about 4 feet. I think he dropped right into a stage gap. He leaned against the stage for a bit before others came to help him.

KeithOfTerror
05-04-2005, 07:53 AM
Am I bad person for laughing at the thought of Frasier dropping to his doom?

bradk
05-04-2005, 08:02 AM
i had worse thoughts about it. like wondering if any foreign substances might have been in his system at the time. although that sort of thing can really happen to anyone, so i have to give him the benefit of the doubt there.

got2travel
05-04-2005, 08:24 AM
i had worse thoughts about it. like wondering if any foreign substances might have been in his system at the time. although that sort of thing can really happen to anyone, so i have to give him the benefit of the doubt there.

I had the same thoughts. Didn't he have a substance abuse problem of some sort a while back?

bradk
05-04-2005, 08:31 AM
indeed he did.

sunfun94
05-04-2005, 09:26 AM
i hope this doesnt sound too morbid (i swear Im not trying to be in anyway), but does anyone know where i can find the clip?

KeithOfTerror
05-04-2005, 09:27 AM
The good doctor Crane prescribes a healthy dose of Crack everyday...

tod
05-04-2005, 09:30 AM
Didn't he have a substance abuse problem of some sort a while back?

Yeah, several, really bad ones. People used to cover for him all the time on Cheers, blowing their own lines so Kelsey could get it together.

Don't we have something else we can discuss? The poor guy had either relapsed, which is bad, or he didn't and everybody thinks he did, which is worse.

I'd rather look forward to tomorrow than conjecture Kelsey Grammer's blood test.

--t

stan4d_steph
05-04-2005, 09:30 AM
Looking at photos of the stage, I can see how he might have fallen off. Kudos to him for continuing on with the show after his fall.

adriennek
05-04-2005, 10:14 AM
Don't we have something else we can discuss? The poor guy had either relapsed, which is bad, or he didn't and everybody thinks he did, which is worse.

I'd rather look forward to tomorrow than conjecture Kelsey Grammer's blood test.

Thank you. What he said.

If you haven't seen it already, there's a picture on today's MousePlanet update that shows what the edge of the stage looks like. I can see how it would've happened: http://albums.mouseplanet.com/album30/DSC_0192.sized.jpg

Even if he wasn't hurt, I imagine Kelsey will be pretty sore today and even moreso tomorrow. :(

Adrienne

evrythngwmn
05-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Yeah the edge of that stage is a real hazard. It's not just that the stars are cut into the stage but some points of the stage come out a good couple of feet more than others. You really have to watch your step when you are out that far.

Opus1guy
05-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Falling off the stage is so common you wouldn't believe it. It's happened to many performers and is a constant hazard.

What most people don't realize is that when you're on an indoor stage and those bright lights are on you, you're effectively blind when looking out in the direction of the lights and audience. Most of the time you can't even see the audience! They are blacked-out by the bright lights. And/or sometimes your performance/speech requires you look up and out while you're walking and talking onstage. That's why performers and speakers learn their "marks" very carefully.

I remember once when Frank Sinatra took a horrible fall off stage because he miss-counted his steps from his center mark.

I just watched the video on KABC here. I don't think he was "high" at all. I just don't think he could see the edge of the stage and lost his bearings due to bright lights in his face.

I've personally almost been there, done that. It's very hazardous wandering around a stage like that with bright lights in your face. IMHO.

TikiGeek
05-04-2005, 10:51 AM
I've personally almost been there, done that. It's very hazardous wandering around a stage like that with bright lights in your face. IMHO.How much wine did you have? ;) :D

yeartolate
05-04-2005, 11:34 AM
Where everybody knows you're lame.........................

KarenW2
05-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Since the last time we'd seen the Aladdin show was quite some time ago and we were seated in the front row of the second section of the orchestra, we weren't able to see the apron of the stage from where we were. But looking at the photo AK put up the link to, I'm surprised we haven't heard of a great deal many MORE people not falling from that stage before! It looks very hazardous!! :eek:

As one who's been dealing with a lot of pain for a long time and has very heavy duty knee surgery/recovery looming in about 6 weeks, I can well expect that he is in a great deal of pain from that and will probably need to see doctors and physical therapists, to help him get over this. I'm surprised they don't have some sort of marking on the stage, to let cast members (in the true sense of the word) know thay they are nearing the precipice!! Does DOSH or whoever have any dealings in matters like this?

I will definitely be praying for Kelsey's speedy recovery!!