PDA

View Full Version : Should I rebook my tickets to avoid Grad Night?

Grendel's Mother
05-02-2005, 08:17 AM
I currently have tickets for arriving May 31 and departing June 3. Grad night is June 2. Should I rebook my tickets for a day earlier? It would cost about $200, but the good part would be that we would get to see Fantasmic.

How early does the park close on Grad Night, and how disruptive is it the next day? I checked the Disneyland site, and it still says it closes at 9, just like any other weeknight. Also, there is no mention of Grad Night on the calendar, but I have seen it listed in some discussions here as being scheduled for that night. I am not too happy with Disney for not putting it on their calendar so we would have known ahead of time!

We are staying at HoJo, so the hotel may not be a big problem. The only other thing is that the 30th is Memorial Day (Monday) ... but we won't be getting in until noon, so it's only half a day.

Thanks for any advice.

Mark Mywords
05-02-2005, 08:59 AM
Our last year's June trip ended up having a Grad night on one of the days we were there. Other than the inconvenience of having the park close early, it didn't really effect anything. The park seemed to be the same as usual the next morning.

However, if you have never seen Fantasmic, then spending the extra money to re-book is definitely worth doing!

Darkbeer
05-02-2005, 09:28 AM
During your trip, the park will close every night at 9 PM, except Memorail Day. when the park will close at 10 PM.

The Grad Nights will have no effect on the regular park schedule, with the exception of June 22nd and 23rd.

Elways way
05-02-2005, 09:30 AM
Are the bulk of the kids there most of the day? If they ust show up after closing...I wouldn't think it would be so bad......but if they are there all day?????? I made the mistake of going to "senior day" at Marine World once......and only once. They didn't have the park exclusively to themseves, so there were just tons of teenagers (showing off for other teenagers) running all over the park on what I expected to be a quiet week day.

Not sure how DL sets it up...but it is definetely worth looking into!

tod
05-02-2005, 09:44 AM
"Grad Night" happens a lot -- it's an all-night post-graduation party for high school students. It starts after the park closes and goes till sunrise, give or take. It goes on every nioght for a couple of weeks as high schools around the west participate.

It shouldn't impact your regular day at Disneyland at all, unless you feel the 9-or-so closing time is a bit early.

--t
Reseda High School class of '69

The old man
05-02-2005, 11:13 AM
How does DL keep control during the grad's visit? I've experienced how awful many teens act at DL when they are just with their peers. I can't image a whole park with just them. (Shudder).

David

tod
05-02-2005, 11:44 AM
How does DL keep control during the grad's visit? I've experienced how awful many teens act at DL when they are just with their peers. I can't image a whole park with just them. (Shudder).

When the place is filled with teens, the community standards are shall-we-say different. What would be loud obnoxious behavior in a publicly-opened Disneyland is no big deal at Grad Night. There are still limits, but the that's-too-much bar is raised a bit.

I'm not there, so I'm not worried. And if I were chaperoning, I'd rememnber it's the kids' night, not mine. They can be grown-ups tomorrow.

--t

ForgetmyNDA
05-02-2005, 12:59 PM
When the place is filled with teens, the community standards are shall-we-say different. What would be loud obnoxious behavior in a publicly-opened Disneyland is no big deal at Grad Night. There are still limits, but the that's-too-much bar is raised a bit.

I'm not there, so I'm not worried. And if I were chaperoning, I'd rememnber it's the kids' night, not mine. They can be grown-ups tomorrow.

--t

Having worked I think 4-5 grad nights on Main Street, It does not really affect the normal operation of the park at all, It begins once the park is closed, And is over a few hours before the park opens the next morning, Prett much no CM who worked the grad night will be working for more than a few hours in the morning once the park re-opens so there shouldnt even be any tired stressed out CM's. =)

maryxmas
05-03-2005, 01:07 PM

David

I went to my DL Grad Night in 88 (wow, that long ago? - yikes! ). I remember that we had to dress up in nice clothes (kinda like we were going to church). I guess they felt that we wouldn't misbehave quite as much in clothes we didn't want to ruin. LOL

I also kinda remember that the entire park isn't open.. Tom Sawyers Island, for one, is closed. So yes, they have limits and strict rules in order to handle something like this.

Rhiannon8404
05-03-2005, 01:11 PM
except Memorail Day.

I'm really not picking on your typing, I just keep reading this as Monorail Day. :D