PDA

View Full Version : Security in DCA, and the Resort for that matter.

expansion1
01-18-2002, 09:56 AM
I have had both positive and negative feedback about the Security Officers and Security Management in DCA. What do people think about these folks? What about the rest of the Resort? Sometimes I can see defending their actions, but other times I wonder, "what the heck are they doing that for?".

justagrrl
01-18-2002, 10:27 AM
Well - let's see. I want to stand in line to have someone go through my purse for no reason.

If someone want to bring a weapon into the park, they could easily put in their show and cover it with their pants. Or put it in their waistband and cover it with a shirt of jacket.

This bag search thing does nothing but make everyone complain. It was certainly the topic of many of the Mom's in the bathroom who had to take everything out of the stroller to have it searched. They noted how every bottle had to be removed so they could inspect the pocket it was in. One said her stuff was searched for 15 minutes.

Now - here's a though - let's harass the guests and make them wait to get in and we can see all the crap they are bringing. I'll bet they see all the snacks some people bring and start outlawing that soon. After all, there's more money to be made when I don't bring my water bottle and kiddie snacks.

This bag search thing is a Public Relations tactic and not a security issue. It makes some people think they are safer. But let's be real here - if someone wants to do harm to the park or someone in it, the bag search isn't going to stop them at all.

Iceman
01-18-2002, 01:02 PM
It's true that the bag search is done more for visibility and to make people FEEL safer than for any valid security reason. The same could be said of almost all airport security. On the other hand, some criminals and terrorists have proven themselves stupid enough to be caught by rudimentary security procedures.

As for the security personnel themselves, I think they do an admirable job. It's not like it's pleasant for them to root through everyone's belongings, either. But they realize that they have an important job to do, and part of that job is providing a visible presence. I have never seen Disney security people less than completely polite, helpful, and professional.

justagrrl
01-18-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Iceman
As for the security personnel themselves, I think they do an admirable job. It's not like it's pleasant for them to root through everyone's belongings, either. But they realize that they have an important job to do, and part of that job is providing a visible presence. I have never seen Disney security people less than completely polite, helpful, and professional.

Oh yes - I'd definately say that!

tabacco
01-18-2002, 02:06 PM
The vast majority of bag searching is being done by Main Entrance people, not Security.

ripplededge
01-18-2002, 04:37 PM
DCA Security Management are just jerks, except Kim, she is nice.
DL Security Management is ok.
DTD Security Management is pretty nice.
GCH Management is nice as well.
DL / PP Hotel Management is ok.

The bag searches are a joke.
Old guys that have been there for along time think they know everything. Boo~! And just say things about girls as they walk by. I mean it brings the word "ew" to a whole new level.
Checkpoint (the inspection lot, for all delieveries) is a joke.
- They really don't go through and inspect everything.

Nicest S/O's, I have conclueded, can be found at: DTD - night & GCH - day

EandCDad
01-18-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl

Now - here's a though - let's harass the guests and make them wait to get in and we can see all the crap they are bringing. I'll bet they see all the snacks some people bring and start outlawing that soon. After all, there's more money to be made when I don't bring my water bottle and kiddie snacks.

Actually, bringing outside food into the parks has been "outlawed" for a while. Its been a policy for years and the policy has generally been ignored by guests and CMs alike. I think your water bottles are safe, I've brought them in every time since 9/11, no one has batted an eye.

The bag searches have never bothered me. I guess I'm just used to going to concerts and sporting events where bag searches have been standard practice for at least the 25 years that I have been going to games and rock shows.

All it really does is cost a little time at the front gate. I'm going to be standing in lines all day, another 5 minutes at the gate won't kill me. They put signs out that you should have your bags open and ready for inspection to help speed up the process. Most people seem to think those signs are a put on or something. They get up to the front and then start unloading the stroller or unzipping the pockets. Do it first, it makes it go faster for everyone.

Ace
01-18-2002, 06:09 PM
they could have metal detectors.... but that would ruin the ebtrance gates. the search doesn't take that long.

justagrrl
01-19-2002, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by ripplededge
Nicest S/O's, I have conclueded, can be found at: DTD - night & GCH - day

Oooh...there as a lady there last night that wouldn't agree with you. She must have had 5 or 6 kids with here and she was sitting outside with 3 or 4 officers around here.

We guessed that she had shoplifted something as by the time our friends walked by the scene, they reported she was crying.

Shoplifters! sheesh!

expansion1
01-19-2002, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ripplededge
[B]DCA Security Management are just jerks, except Kim, she is nice.
DL Security Management is ok.
DTD Security Management is pretty nice.
GCH Management is nice as well.
DL / PP Hotel Management is ok.

I've had some great interactions with a couple of Security Managers at DCA. Most of the officers are cool too.

What makes you say the others are jerks?

Anyone else know about these Managers?

disneynut
01-19-2002, 06:52 PM
The experience I had with dealing with security at DL was not very pleasant. We had our stroller stolen which had my diaper bag in it. Unfortunately it wasn't just diapers in the bag. My wallet, prescription glasses and camera were taken too. When my husband and I talked to the security guy in Fantasyland (in a white shirt), he was very nice and helpful. I was frantic but I also explained that it was my fault, not Disney's. I should have never left this stuff in the stroller. I cannot emphasize enough how nice this guy was. He sent us up to Lost and Found to fill out the paper in case they find the stuff.

My husband decided that we should also fill out a police report because my credit cards were also gone. We were sent to City Hall and that's where the horror begins. Asking to make a police report seemed almost like a crime to the CM's there. They then called in this guy in a suit who I can only describe as Mickey's Secret Service. He was in a dark suit, sunglasses. (even though it was approaching 9 p.m.) and an ear piece. He took my two year old son and me (my husband was on a pay phone with the credit card companies) to a building that had this interrogation room in it and left us there. The whole time we were walking to this building he was explaining that this was not Disney's fault and I should not be filling out a police report. (I'd already told him that I took full blame for leaving the stuff in the stroller). He told me that whoever took the stuff was after cash and would not try using the cards.

He ended up being right about no one using the cards but what would have happened if they'd tried? I could see me trying to give the credit card companies the lost and found slip that DL gave me as proof that the cards were stolen. (Not only was it my credit cards, there were SSN cards, checks and my son's immunization record. All stuff that is kinda important). His whole attitude just left a lot to be desired. I realize it was the end of the day and people do have bad days but he made me feel like I purposefully wanted my stuff stolen and I wanted something from DL because it was stolen, after I'd already told him that I knew it was my fault. I think that's what irritated me the most was I admitted to everyone that it was my fault and if they would have treated me like I was an idiot that would have been O.K. because it was idiotic to leave that stuff there. But they treated me like I was trying to scam them and get something from them and I wasn't. I just wanted a police report taken.

I was very surprised at how everyone (except that first security guard) acted when we said we wanted a police report. Does anyone know if the DLR gets some sort of strike against them for the number of police reports they have filled out?

HBTiggerFan
01-19-2002, 07:33 PM
Personally I would have complained about this dude....And I NEVER complain there.

You admitted it was your fault, you didn't want to blame disney..you didn't want anything from disney, but after what this dude did (in front of your son!!) I would have wanted something! like his job!

I think him trying to talk you out of a police report/not allowing you to file one (with police on the property none the less) is illegal.

I hope you have his name still.

wonderful
01-19-2002, 07:39 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by justagrrl

This bag search thing does nothing but make everyone complain.

Those who like to complain, don't need much to get them going...

" It was certainly the topic of many of the Mom's in the bathroom who had to take everything out of the stroller to have it searched. They noted how every bottle had to be removed so they could inspect the pocket it was in. One said her stuff was searched for 15 minutes."

The thought that 15 minutes was needed did not trigger the question of "What on earth was SHE bringing into the park.... Heaven forbid a lack of planning (because EVERONE is doing the heightened security thing since 9/11) and streamlining "carry-in"(there ARE lockers out front) on her part had any play in her plight!

"Now - here's a though - let's harass the guests and make them wait to get in and we can see all the crap they are bringing. I'll bet they see all the snacks some people bring and start outlawing that soon."

As mentioned earlier, the policy is ABSOLUTELY no food in the park... it is an entertainment complex (like a movie theater, playhouse, etc.) and Disney has every right to have such a policy. That said, I think cast members have been more than forgiving with water bottles and small snacks... and, just so you know, baby supplies are sold only for cost and tax in the park, which is why they are not widely available and will not likely provide funds for another attraction... or, if you like, anyone's pay check.

"if someone wants to do harm to the park or someone in it, the bag search isn't going to stop them at all."

Agreed. But, let's just pretend it did... just ONCE... wouldn't it be worth someone's 15 minutes of discomfort? I am sorry to be so biting in my comments, but I am far from convinced that terrorists are something of our past... and, that said, I am far from convinced that Disney or anyone else should just go back to "business as usual"... the only thing I am quite convinced of is nothing, not even September 11th, will shake some to get their priorities straight.

HBTiggerFan
01-19-2002, 07:51 PM
No, food isn't allowed in the movies either. But that doens't stop people from bringing stuff in. They won't enforce the ban on the food with the bag checks. thats not what they are checking for...and if they did start, w/o notifying people then there would be a huge uprising. THey are suppost to be checking for weapons/dangerous stuff, not food/drinks.

ripplededge
01-20-2002, 06:03 PM
DCA Management is a pain for one reason and one reason only. If you don't work in DCA security much they treat you like you don't know anything at all. I personally don't work DCA, because I think it is way too small and can't rove around like I want to.

MonorailMan
01-20-2002, 07:55 PM
Sorry to make this off-topic, but ripplededge, what does "Illegal Surfing" mean. Like trying to surf the tiny waves at PP?

ripplededge
01-20-2002, 08:17 PM
For: MonorailMan

Illegal Surfing isn't a Disney related code, although we can use it, but we wouldn't call in a 970; we would just say some guest is surfing in PP, or where ever.

Most of the time if you don't know the code for it, you just say what it is... except for 187 & 904; USE THE CODE! That is why most CM's don't say fireworks... we call them pyros, cause some fool might overhear fire (904) and get all rowdy.

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
01-20-2002, 09:53 PM
This is regarding the post about the lady who wanted to fill out a police report at city hall. Perhaps your comment was taken the wrong way by Disney staff. I work in a customer enviroment that occasionally deals with clientel who want to file a police report / call the police on our company (me? ;-) !!!)because they feel their rights have been violated/ etc. etc.

I always polietely refer them to use their cell phone, go home and call etc. There's really no reason to file police paper work at any other place than a police office with a police officer. Why would you expect a private company like Disney, to have this on hand or help you prepare the forms for your loss? I think the police presense at Disneyland is much better served as a visual deterrent - rather than a convience for customers. What would you have liked the CM to say? "Oh yes mame, I'll call an officer over right away - and I'll call the Anaheim Police Dept to fax me the forms and then I'll call them to get a file number - I hope they'll give it to me....Oh and while I'm at it, here's the phone so you can call to cancel your credit cards too....."

Three months ago I lost my cell phone at DCA and they were very nice and offered to call me if they found it. I wonder what the reaction from the CM would be if I said their form wasn't enough and I felt it was a dire emergency and someone could commit fraud on my phone and I wanted to file a police report right away and I wasn't leaving until I did.....

Gracy_hm
01-20-2002, 09:55 PM
I like that and churro and cheese beans Love me!

HBTiggerFan
01-20-2002, 11:08 PM
Heehee...I think part of your reply was directed to mine, so I will reply here...The APD is for security, not for police reports. But they always have had APD on scene, even behind the scenes, so it makes no sence to me why this poor lady and her family were treated like criminals. IF she wanted to file a police report then maybe directons to the APD station would have been more appropritate, but a phone should have been offered to cancel credit cards.

Being taken into a interrigation room # 1 was inapproprite, espcially with a young child. Being talked out of filing a police report I think is illegal.

I think Disney at minimum should have offered a phone to cancel credit cards, directions to the APD and or a phone to call the APD.

HBTiggerFan
01-20-2002, 11:09 PM
Oh yea, I forgot...

Any amusment park should offer that. Maybe not retail, since people are close to home usually.

justagrrl
01-21-2002, 06:25 AM

Those who like to complain, don't need much to get them going...

>>>>>Yeah - I may even fall into that category myself. ;)

" It was certainly the topic of many of the Mom's in the bathroom who had to take everything out of the stroller to have it searched. They noted how every bottle had to be removed so they could inspect the pocket it was in. One said her stuff was searched for 15 minutes."

The thought that 15 minutes was needed did not trigger the question of "What on earth was SHE bringing into the park.... Heaven forbid a lack of planning (because EVERONE is doing the heightened security thing since 9/11) and streamlining "carry-in"(there ARE lockers out front) on her part had any play in her plight!

>>>>>No - I'm a Mom and know the need for bringing a ton of crap along because if you don't, you know that you will need it for sure. Example, if I don't bring an extra change of pants for my 3 year old, he WILL have an accident while we are there. Babies take even more stuff. And thanks, but having to leave it all in the lockers out front isn't realistic for most people. When your baby is hungry, the idea of having to trek across the park to retrieve a bottle is laughable.

"Now - here's a though - let's harass the guests and make them wait to get in and we can see all the crap they are bringing. I'll bet they see all the snacks some people bring and start outlawing that soon."

As mentioned earlier, the policy is ABSOLUTELY no food in the park... it is an entertainment complex (like a movie theater, playhouse, etc.) and Disney has every right to have such a policy. That said, I think cast members have been more than forgiving with water bottles and small snacks... and, just so you know, baby supplies are sold only for cost and tax in the park, which is why they are not widely available and will not likely provide funds for another attraction... or, if you like, anyone's pay check.

>>>>>Maybe they should post this policy on a big sign or something. Why not annouce it on the tram? While it may be obvious to many, I wasn't aware of this policy. I could have guessed it - but no one has ever said a thing about it - and nothing is posted so.... where is this policy? Really, how much money do I have to spend for a simple trip to Disneyland? As often as we go, I don't need to spend $50 - $70 on food that often. (Lunch for 4 was $50.)

As for the baby stuff - do they have different brands and sizes? Different kinds of formula? How about a change of clothes when the poop gets out of the diaper a bit? (Of course they do, would I like the $30 pants or the $40 pants?)

As for paychecks, I seriously doubt the diaper issue and paychecks are directly related. In order for Disney employees to recieve a fair salary, should I have to spend $50 - $70 on food every time we go?

"if someone wants to do harm to the park or someone in it, the bag search isn't going to stop them at all."

Agreed. But, let's just pretend it did... just ONCE... wouldn't it be worth someone's 15 minutes of discomfort? I am sorry to be so biting in my comments, but I am far from convinced that terrorists are something of our past... and, that said, I am far from convinced that Disney or anyone else should just go back to "business as usual"... the only thing I am quite convinced of is nothing, not even September 11th, will shake some to get their priorities straight.

>>>>>That's a pretty surprising thing to imply- that I don't have my priorities right after 9/11 because I comment about bag checks going to Disneyland. You don't even know me - who are you to assume if I need "shaking"?

Clearly, terrorists are not a thing of our past. However, the psuedo security of bag checks while going in aren't going to make a difference to a real terrorist who is intent on doing harm.

LifelongAngelsFan
01-21-2002, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by justagrrl

Clearly, terrorists are not a thing of our past. However, the psuedo security of bag checks while going in aren't going to make a difference to a real terrorist who is intent on doing harm.

And, you are some kind of security expert that knows what "real terroist" are capable and what tactics will or will not thwart them? While I agree that the bag checks won't thwart all terrorist and therefore are not an absolute safety net, I do believe that they can thwart some as well as discourage thugs from trying to bring in weapons.

I also have young children and understand the incoveniences of taking them into public places you express. I have the opposite perspective on the bag search. I like them. I even told the security folks and the CMs how much I appreciated them doing it. I recognize it is a pain for the CMs and a huge expense for Disney for them to do so.

As far as the food thing, I also appreciate that food in the park can be expensive. I believe the food is part of the experience and believe Disney offers good value for the food offered in the parks. They offer a large variety of food items that span a wide budget range (e.g., from $4 for a kids meal to over $40 for fine dining at the Blue Bayou) and tastes. I found food prices at DL to be slightly higher than food outside the park for similar faire (e.g. McDonald's kid meal is about $3.50, a hot dog at Husky Stadium is $4, the same as DL), which seems reasonable.

Disney provides a beautiful picnic area in the Esplanade. If you are on a tight budget or don't care for the food in the parks, bring a picnic lunch/dinner and enjoy it there. While we didn't choose to do this while at the DLR, we have done this at other amusement parks here in Washington to accomodate a tight budget.

On our recent trip to DLR, we brought in simple snacks (crackers, Cheerios) to tide the kids between meals. The CMs didn't even notice and certainly didn't care. I think Disney is being reasonable about their food policy.

disneynut
01-21-2002, 10:19 AM
HeeHeeHee...No, I did not think I was being unreasonable asking to fill out a police report. 1. There are police who are actually assigned to work at DL. 2. I highly doubt my credit card companies would have taken a Lost and Found form as proof that my cards were stolen. 3. They are a resort with visitors from all over the state/country/world and not all of us know our way around Anaheim to find a police station, nor do I lug a Pacific Bell phone book around with me. 4. My stroller/diaper bag was actually stolen--it wasn't lost so the likelihood of it getting turned in wasn't very high. If your cell phone was lost, then you're right there is no need for a police report. 5. If my request to file a police report was so unreasonable why didn't the CM's act like they've never heard that request before?