PDA

View Full Version : Off-property hotels?

PirateSmile
04-30-2005, 10:10 PM
I'm going to DL sometime in July with my uncle, his family, and my mom. My uncle is staying where we all stayed last year, the Candy Cane Inn. Me and my mom liked that hotel a lot, but we like trying new ones each year. We're thinking about either the Howard Johnson, the Tropicana, or Ramada Maingate. Howard Johnson seems to have the best reviews, but the walk seems a bit far. Is it as far as the map makes it look? I don't mind walking in the morning, but we're kind of paranoid of walking at night. Also, the Tropicana and Ramada reviews are very mixed. Any tips? Or suggestions of hotels we overlooked? (We've stayed at Candy Cane, Disneyland Hotel, Annabella, and Carousel already.) Thanks in advance!

Wendi
04-30-2005, 10:17 PM
My recommendation is for Hojo's. The walk is not bad. I walked late at night just me and my 3 year old son and I wasn't afraid at all along the way. There are plenty of other people most of the way down the walk though the last stretch you'll probably find yourself alone. If you are nervous about walking around at night, I'd go for the ART shuttle.

sleepyjeff
04-30-2005, 10:23 PM
In my best Darkbeer voice "I like Howard Johnsons".... :)
--------------
Howard Johnsons is nice from what I hear(have not been there myself since 99') The walk is not really too far unless you are carrying a sleeping child in your arms the whole way :eek: ----scratch that, even then it's not too far as I would never trade that memory for all the gold in California :crying:

:)

bradk
05-01-2005, 01:26 AM
hojo is about 15 minutes or so (or 10, depending on how fast you walk). i will get ridiculed for saying this, but it's often said that the walk back to the hotel appears to be longer than it is for various reasons. of course, there is always a shuttle. in any case, i think it's more or less the same as the candy cane inn.

you probably couldn't go wrong with any of the three to be honest, especially if you aren't looking forward to spending a lot of time in the hotel itself. in the event that you are, hojo recently redid its pools and does have a little water park area for kids and all that.

TikiGeek
05-01-2005, 04:38 AM
I will second (or third?) HoJo's. The walk is a short, safe walk.

dws_60
05-01-2005, 04:44 AM
how is the candy cane? i booked for my bro and sis in law, their son and my daughter for july... they re going to arrowhead pond and an angels game... we were adviced to book for a deluxe room because my daughter is having some health issues right now...
Thanks
David

05-01-2005, 06:33 AM
how is the candy cane?

Sorry to hear about your daughter's health, dws_60. Go here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlra_candycaneinn) for reviews galore of the Candy Cane Inn. When you come back, please write your own review. We'd love to hear what you thought.

hlbtimes2
05-01-2005, 08:38 AM
how is the candy cane? i booked for my bro and sis in law, their son and my daughter for july... they re going to arrowhead pond and an angels game... we were adviced to book for a deluxe room because my daughter is having some health issues right now...
Thanks
David

I thought you were setting them up at PPH, conc. level?

hlbtimes2
05-01-2005, 08:41 AM
We stayed at the Fairfield about 1 1/2 years ago. We really liked it. I know it wasnt on your list of three you were considering, but just thought I would throw it in there. If you'll have kids with you they eat free at Mimi's resturant that is in the hotel parking lot (or at least they did at that time). The pool is not large or fancy, but was good enough and seem well maintained.

munchkinsmom0003
05-01-2005, 09:07 AM
My recommendation is for Hojo's. The walk is not bad. I walked late at night just me and my 3 year old son and I wasn't afraid at all along the way. There are plenty of other people most of the way down the walk though the last stretch you'll probably find yourself alone. If you are nervous about walking around at night, I'd go for the ART shuttle.

ITA with Wendy! We love the HOJO. It's not that bad of a walk but when we're really tired/lazy in the evening, we opt take the ART shuttle, which is $3/day. It's not as busy/crowded as some of the other ART routes, I think. The HOJO is the first stop to pick up from the hotel (no problem finding seats) and the first off when you're going back to the hotel.

DisneylandForever
05-01-2005, 09:25 AM
You can't go wrong with the HoJo. The walk is not bad at all. Less than 5 minutes from the Tropicana, and worth every step. The Ramada Maingate (Saga) is nice too. I'd rank it second out of the three you listed. I haven't stayed at the Tropicana since the remodel, but when I did it was awful.

dws_60
05-01-2005, 10:44 AM
yes but thats for an other week end they will spend in anaheim... yes very busy summer...
David

DangerMouse
05-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Another vote for HoJo's. We just stayed there last week and loved it. We had two grandmas with us who never complained about the walk. We found we could even cut off some time by cutting through the MiMi's parking lot.

I am wanting to try the Candy Cane on our next visit, just because I have never stayed there and love the idea of the great breakfast and dedicated shuttle. But I would never hesitate to stay at the HoJo's again.

Emma
05-01-2005, 12:34 PM
FYI, I would stay away from that Ramada. I had a friend who stayed there and moved to a different hotel immediately. There were cockroaches in her room.

[insert ewwwwwwwwwwwww here] :eek:

--Emma

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-01-2005, 12:41 PM
8 minute walk. We love the HoJo. We stay there on all our trips, were there in March, booked for November and have stayed there 3 times before that too. The walk isn't bad, and we have 2 little kids. My vote is for HoJo!

MMStyle
05-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Where ever you decide to stay, I would book it quickly. I imagine July is going to be extremely busy and the hotels closest to DLR will be full. I have already booked our stay for July nearly a month ago.

splash
05-01-2005, 05:40 PM
I'll throw in my 2 cents for what it is worth. I highly recommend the Marriott Fairfield Inn. It is a bit closer than HoJo's and the rooms are large and comfortable. Also, if you are on one of the higher floors, great view of the park!

PirateSmile
05-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Thanks
David

Thanks for all the great advice!

Anyways, the Candy Cane was very pretty and nicely landscaped. We stayed in a room with two queen beds. It was comfy. The staff was pretty nice too.

Darkbeer
05-01-2005, 08:19 PM
Don't forget about the special discounted rates that you can get at HoJo's...

http://www.hojoanaheim.com/mousesavers/