PDA

View Full Version : DLR Podcasts for the 50th celebration [merged]

Pages : [1] 2

jennia
04-30-2005, 07:14 PM
I'm sure it has been announced elsewhere but when I was visiting the Disneyland website today I noticed some new info on podcasts for the 50th celebration here (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/calendar/specialEvents/detail?name=PodcastingSpecialEventDetailPageGold)

To quote the Disneyland website "Take the magic of the Happiest Homecoming On Earth wherever you go! The DisneylandŽ Resort is offering podcasts direct from the 50th Anniversary Press Event. Michael W. Geoghegan plays host for this sneak peek at the biggest celebration in Disney history, including interviews, stories and other exciting events direct from the DisneylandŽ Resort on May 3, 4 & 5, 2005."

This sounds like just the thing for those of us who won't be there for the 3 days. You have to download some software and have a way to listen to MP3 files but you don't *have* to have an iPod to listen to the podcasts.

Maus
05-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Disneyland Resort Podcasts (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/calendar/specialEvents/detail?name=PodcastingSpecialEventDetailPageGold&CMP=ILC-vanurlpodcast)

"The Disneyland Resort is offering podcasts direct from the 50th Anniversary Press Event."

BQ2
05-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the link ! I'll listen in!!

BQ2
05-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Link to Disneyland podcasts. I listened in this morning. Pretty cool,I wish I was there!

Clicky (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/calendar/specialEvents/detail?name=PodcastingSpecialEventDetailPageGold&CMP=ILC-vanurlpodcast)

Javanod
05-04-2005, 09:24 PM
^ excellent. thanks for that link.

RemainSeatedPlease
05-04-2005, 11:20 PM
cool, very intresting! thanks! :D

Disneyland55
05-04-2005, 11:39 PM
Nice Thanks

Opus1guy
05-05-2005, 05:35 PM
I just spit out my wine.

It wasn't bad wine. I just cracked up. :)

I was listening to the May 4th official Disney Podcast just now and the host interviewed a long-time acquaintance of mine and the guy that picked Anaheim for Walt as the best location for Disneyland back in 1953...Buzz Price.

When the interviewer asked Buzz what his favorite Disneyland attraction was, Buzz answered, "A tall Martini at Club 33!"

That was Buzz alright! :)

Disney Dan
05-05-2005, 11:43 PM
I loaded the one for the 3rd into my iPod for my trip from Carlsbad to Anaheim and it was EXCELLENT! Perfect length as well, 51min... we finished it just as we were pulling into the Disneyland Hotel.

I highly recommend them and you DON'T need an iPod to listen, they are in .mp3 format.

If you do have an iPod, it's VERY easy to install the program (ipodder) and the Disneyland podcasts are already pre-loaded into the software. When you connect your iPod, it will automatically load the podcasts into iTunes, then onto your iPod into a Playlist folder. Pretty cool stuff!!

Take care,

Dan B

Disneyfun
05-06-2005, 08:53 AM
I highly recommend them and you DON'T need an iPod to listen, they are in .mp3 format.
Thanks DAn b Was not sure if I needed to down load the podcast program or not. I will do it tonight.

stan4d_steph
05-06-2005, 08:56 AM
The Podcast available today covers the events from yesterday, May 5. It has the new single "Remember When" performed by Leann Rimes as well as some other coverage. All 3 casts are between 50 and 60 minutes long and are enjoyable. :)

olegc
05-06-2005, 03:22 PM
I realize that Disney Marketing has to make sure to create materials that please the masses - but the first podcast I am listening to seems SO over-the-top "i never knew that" that it seems way too much. Having the host say "pin trading - wow I never knew that this stuff goes on" seems so out of place to me. I know we padders are much more in tune with day-to-day happenings in the park - but pin trading has been going on for so long that someone has heard something - right?

And I also noticed that some of the facts tend to be muddied between informational pieces. Example - the guest Pr person, Tony, mentioned that Main Street is based on Marceline, but a tour mentioned Marceline and Fort Collins, CO. I know this is really picky, but a fact is a fact... and it should be the same no matter where you read it, see it, or hear it. The orange grove tree demolition is another one.

AVP
05-06-2005, 03:28 PM
The orange grove tree demolition is another one.Yeah, I am trying to ferret that one out. I absolutely know that I recently read an official interview with someone at Disney who said that while that story was cute and entertaining, it wasn't actually true, but remained a Disney urban legend because it was so believable. I am going to find that interview.

AVP

bradk
05-06-2005, 03:31 PM
would the orange grove demolition refer to the story of how the land upon which disneyland sits was once a barren wasteland? (edit: I have yet to listen to the podcast)

it's a time honored tradition for disney to (re)write history as it sees fit, subject to change at any time.

as far as Main Street, USA goes. I believe the real truth is that it wasn't *supposed* to be based on any actual town, but it was a concept town based on the more simpler life of the turn of the century. The Marceline angle is sweet because it involves Walt and his childhood.

The Fort Collins thing was meant to be a secret. Walt was never meant to know that the Main Street buildings were based on actual buildings.

Opus1guy
05-06-2005, 03:36 PM
AVP writes:
Yeah, I am trying to ferret that one out. I absolutely know that I recently read an official interview with someone at Disney who said that while that story was cute and entertaining, it wasn't actually true, but remained a Disney urban legend because it was so believable. I am going to find that interview.

I don't know where to find that interview, but I mentioned this Disneyland "Legend" a year ago this month in this thread:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=28450

sunfun94
05-06-2005, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I am trying to ferret that one out. I absolutely know that I recently read an official interview with someone at Disney who said that while that story was cute and entertaining, it wasn't actually true, but remained a Disney urban legend because it was so believable. I am going to find that interview.

AVP

What part of the story are they saying wasnt true? That they did the buldoze the trees? Even though they were marked but the driver was color blind and did most of the trees? This is the way it was told in both the new 50 years Story on Main Street as well as a special that was done for TV from a looonnnggg time ago, with "Joey" from Full House (I believe thats who it was hosting).

*whats a podcast? Meaning, where can I find what was orginally mentioned in post 1? :) Thanks...still a newbie! lol...

olegc
05-06-2005, 03:39 PM
would the orange grove demolition refer to the story of how the land upon which disneyland sits was once a barren wasteland? (edit: I have yet to listen to the podcast)

it's a time honored tradition for disney to (re)write history as it sees fit, subject to change at any time.

as far as Main Street, USA goes. I believe the real truth is that it wasn't *supposed* to be based on any actual town, but it was a concept town based on the more simpler life of the turn of the century. The Marceline angle is sweet because it involves Walt and his childhood.

The Fort Collins thing was meant to be a secret. Walt was never meant to know that the Main Street buildings were based on actual buildings.

Hmm - that's what I am talking about... the fact that it was a secret to be kept from walt was not how it was described during our 50th tour. It was described as part of the design process - where the inspiration came from. So - you could say that it's not untrue - but certain pieces are changed, morphed, left out when appropriate. I can only fathom that since these "tours" and facts are not derived from just single sources, and it is delivered by individuals, then you will always get somewhat different takes on information. I just wish there would be facts - but then there would be no long range discussions over the web or among friends - right :D

bradk
05-06-2005, 03:49 PM
just to clarify. From Walt's perspective, Main Street was not supposed to be identifiable, as opposed to NOS for example. You weren't meant to walk down down the street and look at a building and say, 'Hey! I know that place.' The buildings were supposed to be generic enough to identify them as occupying a certain time and place and be able to resonate through you, but not specific enough that you could put a name to it. Harper Goff who was the architect of Main Street USA grew up in Fort Collins and took it upon himself to base the buildings on existing buildings in his hometown. That's what Walt wasn't supposed to know, because it would have been against the principle of the project.

Disneyfun
05-06-2005, 09:02 PM
just to clarify. From Walt's perspective, Main Street was not supposed to be identifiable, as opposed to NOS for example. You weren't meant to walk down down the street and look at a building and say, 'Hey! I know that place.' The buildings were supposed to be generic enough to identify them as occupying a certain time and place and be able to resonate through you, but not specific enough that you could put a name to it. Harper Goff who was the architect of Main Street USA grew up in Fort Collins and took it upon himself to base the buildings on existing buildings in his hometown. That's what Walt wasn't supposed to know, because it would have been against the principle of the project.
well that clears it up for me! Thanks

steven
05-09-2005, 12:28 AM
*whats a podcast? Meaning, where can I find what was orginally mentioned in post 1? :) Thanks...still a newbie! lol...

Podcasting is a way to automatically get audio content onto a MP3 player, be it portable or desktop. The name implies iPods, which can be confusing, but the term has pretty much stuck.

The nice thing about podcasting is that folks running podcast software will automatically have shows loaded to their mp3 players (iTunes, WinAmp, iPod, iRiver, etc) without having to manually check for, download, and install them. Imagine every morning having your mp3 player filled with new shows to listen to throughout the day.

You can find more information on podcasts at iPodder.org (http://ipodder.org). There are some links on the right hand margin that provide more information about podcasts along with a ton of shows to subscribe to.

The technology has really been around since last September, and already there are thousands of shows available.

If you want some recommendations to start off with, subscribe to Reelreviews hosted by Michael W. Geoghegan (and the host of the Disneyland podcast), "The Radio Adventures of Dr Floyd", and Leo Laporte's Show (from his weekend broadcasts on KFI.)

BTW, the Adam Curry you see on the iPodder.org site is the MTV VJ.

Steven

Tutter
05-09-2005, 02:16 AM
I listened to the podcasts on my iPod on the way to work each day - I saved the last one until this morning, and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed all 3 of them. I will miss them - how wonderful it would be to have a weekly broadcast just focussing on one aspect of the park, a little history, a little of the people there etc.

Anyway it was a great bonus.

cemeinke
05-09-2005, 09:09 PM
I listened to the podcasts on my iPod on the way to work each day - I saved the last one until this morning, and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed all 3 of them. I will miss them - how wonderful it would be to have a weekly broadcast just focussing on one aspect of the park, a little history, a little of the people there etc.

Anyway it was a great bonus.

Funny you should mention it, you can find a regular Disney podcast at:
http://www.pocketsymphony.com/mousepod/B520374309/index.html
otherwise know as the MousePod (http://www.pocketsymphony.com/mousepod/B520374309/index.html) - Personally, it makes me want to get an iPod, but in the meantime I still enjoy downloading the episodes on my PC.

Disneyfun
05-09-2005, 09:14 PM
Hellllllllp!!! I am new to pod casting.I got the three from disney now I would like to down load those from mouse pod. How do I do it using Ipodder or Itunes? I am confused!

BQ2
05-09-2005, 09:27 PM
Funny you should mention it, you can find a regular Disney podcast at:
http://www.pocketsymphony.com/mousepod/B520374309/index.html
otherwise know as the MousePod (http://www.pocketsymphony.com/mousepod/B520374309/index.html) - Personally, it makes me want to get an iPod, but in the meantime I still enjoy downloading the episodes on my PC.

Thanks for the link ;)

sunfun94
05-09-2005, 10:08 PM
Podcasting is a way to automatically get audio content onto a MP3 player, be it portable or desktop. The name implies iPods, which can be confusing, but the term has pretty much stuck.Thanks so much Steven for taking the time to explain!! It is really appreciated! :)