PDA

View Full Version : Why Is There No Cheshire Cat Character?

mkcbunny
04-30-2005, 03:44 PM
I've seen this question posed here and there in passing, but no real discussion of it. It seems to me that, for Alice characters, the Cheshire Cat is more popular than several of the other characters that show up in the park, if you gauge by the merchandise and pins Disney puts out. I can see why they might not want to have more than a certain number of Alice characters out in the park at once, but they could certainly trade out the Tweedles now and again, and save on one CM even.

Most I have ever seen out at one time is six: Alice, Queen oH, W Rabbit, Hatter, and two Tweedles. Never seen a March Hare, but that's probably one bunny too many, and understandable. The Cheshire seems like a glaring omission.

Thoughts??

Flint
04-30-2005, 04:01 PM
I've seen this question posed here and there in passing, but no real discussion of it. It seems to me that, for Alice characters, the Cheshire Cat is more popular than several of the other characters that show up in the park, if you gauge by the merchandise and pins Disney puts out. I can see why they might not want to have more than a certain number of Alice characters out in the park at once, but they could certainly trade out the Tweedles now and again, and save on one CM even.

Most I have ever seen out at one time is six: Alice, Queen oH, W Rabbit, Hatter, and two Tweedles. Never seen a March Hare, but that's probably one bunny too many, and understandable. The Cheshire seems like a glaring omission.

Thoughts??
Simply put, the character would look stupid on two feet. If you check out the merchandise, it's all of the cat curled up on something... never walking.

bradk
04-30-2005, 04:02 PM
or, more simply, here's there. just invisible.

mkcbunny
04-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Simply put, the character would look stupid on two feet. If you check out the merchandise, it's all of the cat curled up on something... never walking.

I thought about this, but (a) there are plenty of images of the Cheshire Cat standing up, and (b) there are other four-legged characters on two legs in the park. Eeyore, for example. Who doesn't stand on two legs like the Cheshire Cat does on occassion.

Maybe they just don't think they can do it justice somehow, without his looking weird. Most of the stuffed CCs have creepy looking heads. I thought maybe the tail would be a problem, being big and probably pretty heavy to support off the back. Definitely not a parade character. But they managed to pull off Beast and the Queen of Hearts, which are both enormous costumes.

splashmtngurl
04-30-2005, 07:54 PM
ok, if we're talking about heavy costumes lets take a look at the sully (Monsters inc.) costume....that one has to be heavy with all of that fur and the fact that its pretty large costume. But still the CM inside manages to make their way around alright....if anything.... disney probably just doesnt want to pay extra for another costume, it must cost alot to keep the costumes in top shape....of course, that doesnt explain 2 tweedles...hmmmm!

nsyncitnd1787
04-30-2005, 07:58 PM
hmm.. i never thought about this. maybe they can't get the smile just right or something. the tail might be a problem, since it would be huge on a costume. maybe we will see the CC on a parade float one day, layning down. maybe even talking or something. i think it's just easier for imagineering if the CC is just invisible. it's a lot cheaper. lol

mkcbunny
04-30-2005, 08:07 PM
ok, if we're talking about heavy costumes lets take a look at the sully (Monsters inc.) costume....that one has to be heavy with all of that fur and the fact that its pretty large costume. But still the CM inside manages to make their way around alright....if anything.... disney probably just doesnt want to pay extra for another costume, it must cost alot to keep the costumes in top shape....of course, that doesnt explain 2 tweedles...hmmmm!
Exactly. Cheshire can't be more difficult to carry than that. And a big heavy tail could definitely be a problem, but you'd think they could solve it. And the 2 Tweedles. I mean, really, couldn't we do with just one? Pay the other off-duty Tweedle to be the Cheshire Cat ...

uvsc_wolverine
04-30-2005, 09:45 PM
How much bigger would the CC's tail be than Tigger's?

PirateSmile
04-30-2005, 09:59 PM
Exactly. Cheshire can't be more difficult to carry than that. And a big heavy tail could definitely be a problem, but you'd think they could solve it. And the 2 Tweedles. I mean, really, couldn't we do with just one? Pay the other off-duty Tweedle to be the Cheshire Cat ...

The Tweedle's are a bit creepy. I could do without either, honestly.

KarenW2
05-01-2005, 12:29 AM
Maybe they could combine a costume like "De-Vine" (sp?) that used to be in DCA with a Cheshire Cat resting on one of it's branches?? Kinda weird, but do-able!

05-01-2005, 06:22 AM
But is it in the Cheshire Cat's nature to stand around in the hot sun and pose for photos? Never!

Wendi
05-01-2005, 03:12 PM
I would absolutely expect for the cat to disappear... I think it would be too much of a disappointment to see the cat and not just the smile!!!

mkcbunny
05-01-2005, 04:43 PM
The Tweedle's are a bit creepy. I could do without either, honestly.
LOL. Me, too. But I was trying to leave one available for fans out there. :)

mkcbunny
05-01-2005, 04:46 PM
How much bigger would the CC's tail be than Tigger's?
Much fatter. Tigger's is a thin tail, so it's basically a wire with fabric over it. For the CC's big tail, it would be more of a prop to reckon with. Maybe chicken wire framing with fabric. So it would have bulk and be inclined to drop. They would have to figure a way to keep the top-heavy shape suspended.

mraw
05-01-2005, 06:55 PM
It would be fun to see him out and about. Who knows? Maybe he's just around the corner.

merlinjones
05-01-2005, 09:55 PM
There IS a nice March Hare outfit/mask, designed for Disney on Parade in the 70's and last used at the park in the Flights of Fantasy parade back when New Fantasyland opened in 1984. I'd like to see him back and walking around - or at least int he Mad Tea Party,

Cheshire Cat never had a good costume though, even in Disney on Parade - - i'd love to see him!

(BTW - Have you seen the super cool Caterpillar costume from the early 60's? I never saw it in person, but it's on one of the old Tv hours (TenCennial maybe?): had multiple hands and feet.

mkcbunny
05-01-2005, 10:01 PM
There IS a nice March Hare outfit/mask, designed for Disney on Parade in the 70's and last used at the park in the Flights of Fantasy parade back when New Fantasyland opened in 1984. I'd like to see him back and walking around - or at least int he Mad Tea Party,

Oooh. Fun.

(BTW - Have you seen the super cool Caterpillar costume from the early 60's? I never saw it in person, but it's on one of the old Tv hours (TenCennial maybe?): had multiple hands and feet.
Never. Would love to see that. :)