PDA

View Full Version : Toon Town - fading away? / Jones peeling

justagrrl
01-18-2002, 08:26 AM
Is it just me - or is Toon Town fading? I thought I remembered it being brighter - but at last glance it was more of a pastel look.

And on a different note - what's up with the peeling "sticker" on the outside of the Jones ride? It looks really bad - as all guests on the tram ride there get such a good view of it. Everytime we ride by, the kids say "look - the ride is *still* peeling". (My Son then adds, "where will all the monkeys live?" hee hee)

bluepearl
01-18-2002, 10:00 AM
Oh, most definitely. I think I just started to notice it last year or the year before. I can't remember, though I'm sure it's been fading for a while. But earlier this week, I just noticed that on the buildings next to the mountains (the cardboard ones), the paint's peeling or whatever paper they used is peeling. And it doesn't help that there are lights directly on that area.

And I noticed the Indiana Jones one too. Plus that linoleum stuff peeling off the roof of Star Tours. I read Al's update and wondered if they're ever going to do something about that - in addition to the numerous things that need to be refurbished.

PirateoftheCaribbean
01-18-2002, 12:02 PM
Tragic. All of this makes me so sad, but it's not like it's anything new. Reading Al's most recent update especially got me. I really am in a state of shock. What is Eisner's problem?

Ace
01-18-2002, 04:32 PM
yes, they can drop a billion for DCA but can't spend the fraction of that that would clean up Disneyland. makes me sad as well....

Nigel2
01-18-2002, 09:56 PM
Actually it doesn't touch the building if you look closely there are slits all over the tarp they put on jones. It lets the wind pass through. But yeah its getting rather worn.

justagrrl
01-19-2002, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Nigel2
Actually it doesn't touch the building if you look closely there are slits all over the tarp they put on jones. It lets the wind pass through. But yeah its getting rather worn.

This reminds me of a sticker that has been peeled back at the edge. Give someone some glue and a ladder...

Nigel2
01-19-2002, 10:32 PM
Odds are it is eaiser to replace the sheets of (plasitc?) that way since gluing or painting the pattern on the building would involve much more work.

ionfreeway
01-20-2002, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by PirateoftheCaribbean
Tragic. All of this makes me so sad, but it's not like it's anything new. Reading Al's most recent update especially got me. I really am in a state of shock. What is Eisner's problem?

I'm fairly new to this board and something I cant seem to figure out is, who is Al? and where can I read his reports at?

EandCDad
01-20-2002, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by ionfreeway

I'm fairly new to this board and something I cant seem to figure out is, who is Al? and where can I read his reports at?

Al is Al Lutz who is (I think?) editor in chief of the content of this site. He also writes a regular column that you can find by clicking this link (http://www.mouseplanet.com/al/docs/) . That is his most recent column at the top, the others are in that same area.

Thomas
01-20-2002, 10:11 AM
Regarding the Indiana Jones building, the sticker job just seems to be another cheap thing that Disney did. A paint job would have been much better.

At USH on the parking structure that faces Warner Bros, they did exactly that. The parking structure was painted to resemble bushes and trees to obscure the lot. Portions were painted directly on the concrete and some screens were added which were painted also. This was all done about 10 years ago and it still looks good. How long have the stickers been on INDY?

USH might suck as a park, but they do do things right when it comes to painting.

To bring up an old argument, I went to USH last week, and there upkeep of buildings and facades is 100 times better than the DLR. Each park needs to take a look at each other for improvements.