PDA

View Full Version : Soft opening for the Block Party Parade?

paulca
04-30-2005, 10:02 AM
Was there a soft opening for the Block Party Parade on friday (april 29, 2005) at 5 p.m. I think it was mentioned in another thread!! Will there be another tonight saturday at 5 p.m. april 30, 2005?

brad73
04-30-2005, 02:37 PM
Was there a soft opening for the Block Party Parade on friday (april 29, 2005) at 5 p.m. I think it was mentioned in another thread!! Will there be another tonight saturday at 5 p.m. april 30, 2005?
One tonight (saturday) at 5:15pm...anyone know about Sunday?

robinhood3
04-30-2005, 10:11 PM
The soft opening for Block Party was cancelled for Friday! It did go out Saturday and it was a huge success! I hope everyone loved it...they seemed to! There will not be one on Sunday though!

AlohaJulie
04-30-2005, 10:24 PM
I saw Block Party today. It was great! The crowd was really into it.

PirateSmile
04-30-2005, 10:36 PM
I saw Block Party today. It was great! The crowd was really into it.
What happened, exactly? They don't just randomly grab people off of the block and make them do stuff, do they?

MyBeast
04-30-2005, 10:57 PM
What happened, exactly? They don't just randomly grab people off of the block and make them do stuff, do they?

There's a couple different things, but go and see it instead of me telling you... much more fun!!!

potzbie
04-30-2005, 11:36 PM
I was there.
I saw it twice.
The parade comes out, and once all the units are clear of the end, the whole parade stops and does an eleven minute show, with music (medley) and dancing.
Then the parade packs up, moves 100 yards, stops, and does another 11 minute show.
And it does this probably 5 times.
At 5:15 p.m. Saturday, I was at the Hollywood Blvd. entrance, and saw the tail end "unit" do its thing.
After the 11 minute show, I walked around the route (the Grizzley loop around), waited for the next stop, and saw it again, the middle "unit", in front of Golden Dreams.
I liked the Block Party alot.
My favorite visual was the green plastic "Toy Story" soldiers! What a great effect! They look so cool!
The "Bugs Story" characters are great! The walking stick character walks on stilts hidden from view. It is a great effect.
There are some dancers on kanagroo stilts, i.e., they are curved springs that are attached to the foot and knee. What an effect!
It is very visual!
The number of dancers is impressive. They must have 40 teenagers in Mardi-Gras-style colors.
The look is quite attractive.
The music (as usual) is my favorite part, (Free music acts is why I use my Annual Passport so often in both parks.--Billy Hill and the Hillbillies; Miner Forty Niners; Wave Riders; Dapper Dans; Voyager; The Basix; Sandbox.)
The music was a medley of the most popular crowd tunes, 20 seconds to 40 seconds per cut. -- "Shout"; "Celebration"; "The Macarena"; etc.
All in all, it is something you will want to see again and again, just to observe each "unit" of the parade.
Watch the green plastic toy soldiers.--They are all scripted and choreographed in sync, but each soldier has his own microphone.
So, the green toy soldiers will say the same words at about the same time, but it is all live.
I didn't mention the electric scooters; and the tossing of beach balls into the crowd; and the trampolines; and the rising of the Incredibles characters at the end.
Like I said, the colors and the choreography is so varied that you will want to see the parade more than one to observe each unit's shtick.
Two thumbs way up.
It makes the Electrical Parade look so passive in comparison.

Fozzie
05-01-2005, 01:14 AM
I found the parade to be slightly too brash and "in your face" - it is certainly high energy, and most people appear to really like it. Personally, though, I found it to be a bit much.... :|

DCADude
05-01-2005, 11:45 AM
mouseinfo.com has posted plenty of pics for all to see and there is even 3 short videos. This is a very upbeat parade and everyone in the crowd seems to be loving it. one guy on another site said he heard alot of guests say that they would be coming back to see it numerous times. I think this is already a hit for DCA and it hasn't even officially premiered yet!

Osky
05-01-2005, 02:16 PM
I was at block party bash on saturday and took a bunch of pictures starting with this one:

http://grundler.smugmug.com/gallery/510997/2/20981010

They grabbed my daughter and tried to get her to participate, but all she would do is smile and act shy. My kids enjoyed it tremendously.

DCADude
05-01-2005, 02:55 PM
do the local newspapers review the parades and stuff because if so, I think this will be getting some spectacular reviews.

robinhood3
05-01-2005, 08:52 PM
This parade is about 500 feet long and it only stops 3 times!

robinhood3
05-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Oh and there are at least 30 dancers for each unit and there are three units. There are also characters and acrobats!

PirateSmile
05-01-2005, 09:00 PM
They grabbed my daughter and tried to get her to participate, but all she would do is smile and act shy. My kids enjoyed it tremendously.

They try to get you to...to...to...PARTICIPATE??!! In front of...PEOPLE??!!!

:eek:

Nooooo!!!! *begins to make her master plan for running away from this parade*

robinhood3
05-01-2005, 09:04 PM
YEAH! It's part of the fun! It's a party, and what do you do at a party...have some fun! Who cares what the other poeple think...when are you gunna see them again anyway! LOL! I hope everyone participates...it's a ton of fun! But if you don't want to just politly say no thank you...they may ask you more than once they are a little persistent but if you really don't want to then just say no thank you! They understand! :-)

Osky
05-02-2005, 06:47 AM
They try to get you to...to...to...PARTICIPATE??!! In front of...PEOPLE??!!!

Only if you are in the front. Stand behind someone and you will be fine :D

CrazyTrain
05-02-2005, 08:39 AM
Only if you are in the front. Stand behind someone and you will be fine :D

Until they grab that person, of course. ;)