PDA

View Full Version : Oxygen in the park?

Leash81
04-29-2005, 04:42 PM
My dad will need to bring a oxygen tank with him into the park when we go in July and he will probably need on in our room at GCH as well. He is working with his oxygen company to see what kind of different portable tanks they can provided and also what we can do about getting a big tank to California. So my question is has anyone here had to bring an oxygen tank into the park and what do you need to do about it, check in with city hall or something like that. Also how big a hassle is it to carry a tank around all day and what can you do with it on rides that it won't fit in the ride car? :confused: Any advice, experiences or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hakuna Makarla
04-29-2005, 04:48 PM
ok, I do take oxygen also and there are small self contained oxygen units that make its own oxygen.I have a large one for home mine is for night time,. look for oxygen concentrators that make its own oxygen you can rent them from the same company he gets his now. These will not work for him if his oxygen is higher then 5 I believe.

Leash81
04-29-2005, 04:57 PM
ok, I do take oxygen also and there are small self contained oxygen units that make its own oxygen.I have a large one for home mine is for night time,. look for oxygen concentrators that make its own oxygen you can rent them from the same company he gets his now. These will not work for him if his oxygen is higher then 5 I believe.

Yeah he has one at home too and his is for nighttime as well, he's hoping he doesn't need something that big when we go. I know his oxygen is not that high so that is a great idea, I will tell him to ask about that. Do you have to be hooked up to the oxygen all the time or just when you need it? Right now in his daily routine he only needs to use it when he feels the need but I am worried that with all the walking around for 6 days it might wear him out so that he needs it all the time.

Hakuna Makarla
04-29-2005, 05:03 PM
I have to use my at night, and when my asma gets out of control. I am sorry to say I am lax in using it , but I do know there is a small concentrator that is like his at home that he can take with him and cheaper then those darn bottles. But I would also have the doctor sned a script with you or to a oxegen place there so he can get one of those bottle kinds ( small with shoulder strap ) so he will be safe in the parks. contact a oxygen place nearest to the motel you are staying at and tell them your needs, if they need a script ( they will ) have your doctor fax one. This way you can have the bottles you need in the room for the six days, and one in a back pack for the parks. Best of luck and I will be praying all is well. Have a wonderful time!!!

oh I forgot to say they do have a oxygen maker for the bottles to, its cool and you can the bottle as you need to.

Deogge's Mom
04-29-2005, 05:55 PM
If you need a local supplier for the oxygen, Apria in Tustin is probably the closest. I don't have their phone number here at home, but if you need it for your trip let me know and I will get it for you.

AVP
04-29-2005, 06:47 PM
There are no restrictions or limitations on bringing oxygen into the park so far as I have encountered, but you obviously can not bring it on rides.

AVP

Drince88
04-29-2005, 07:46 PM
There are no restrictions or limitations on bringing oxygen into the park so far as I have encountered, but you obviously can not bring it on rides.

AVP
Just to make sure I understand (not sure why I feel the need to understand, but I guess my inner geek is showing :fez: ): A person who carries a small O2 tank with them can't go on any attraction?

Hakuna Makarla
04-29-2005, 07:48 PM
why can you not take it on the rides? its small compact and has its own carrying case. I am sure this would not be a problem

AVP
04-29-2005, 09:15 PM
Just to make sure I understand (not sure why I feel the need to understand, but I guess my inner geek is showing :fez: ): A person who carries a small O2 tank with them can't go on any attraction?I probably should not have made that sound like a blanket statement. I know I witnessed one person be turned away from Indy because they wouldn't / couldn't leave their O2 tank, and I think I internalized that as a wide-spread rule.

I don't know what the exact rules are, or if there are certain rides that are ok - I'm checking with a friend to be certain and I'll try to get an answer ASAP. I can see it being a major safety issue on the roller coasters.

AVP

Drince88
04-29-2005, 09:18 PM
I'm checking with a friend to be certain, but I know I have seen people turned away from rides because they wouldn't / couldn't leave their O2 tank. I don't know what the exact rules are, or if there are certain rides that are ok - I'll try to get an answer ASAP. I can see it being a major safety issue on the roller coasters.

AVP
Actually, I think a potential bigger safety issue on the roller coasters would be a health risk. If you need O2, you shouldn't be going on a thrill ride (that's why they have warnings!)

But I was actually thinking Fantasyland dark ride when I wrote that.
(And thanks!)

Hakuna Makarla
04-30-2005, 07:48 AM
the guy does not need it all the time, hence I am sure he can leave it behind for each ride. He would probably mainly use it in case the walk was to much,or as a bit of help if he gets tired or winded. like Leash said, he uses it when he feels the need. So I am sure he can ride the ride,with out it. gee when I was there I think I could have used a few bursts of it once in a while! Oxygen bar, yeah thats what disney needs :) a place to go to get a shot of air!

Leash81
04-30-2005, 11:47 AM

AVP

Do you think he can leave it when he loads and pick it up when he unloads? He doesn't need to be on it constantly so it is no problem to take it off for a ride I'm just wondering if he can leave it and then pick it up at the end like you would do with a large souviner bag?

Leash81
04-30-2005, 11:51 AM
Actually, I think a potential bigger safety issue on the roller coasters would be a health risk. If you need O2, you shouldn't be going on a thrill ride (that's why they have warnings!)

But I was actually thinking Fantasyland dark ride when I wrote that.
(And thanks!)

He just has emphysema (mild case) so going on a thrill will not pose any risk to him because he can breathe on his own but after a bit of physical activity he usually needs to use the oxygen tank for a while. But I kind of figured he couldn't bring an oxygen tank on say California Screamin' or BTMRR.

Drince88
04-30-2005, 12:52 PM
He just has emphysema (mild case) so going on a thrill will not pose any risk to him because he can breathe on his own but after a bit of physical activity he usually needs to use the oxygen tank for a while. But I kind of figured he couldn't bring an oxygen tank on say California Screamin' or BTMRR.
So long as adrenalin doesn't aggravate his breathing (mine always gets going on big rides), and there's a way to deal with the tank, I hope he really enjoys the thrills!

QueenAlisha
04-30-2005, 03:59 PM
if its the small oxygen tanks about purse size, it wont be an issue. My friend has a nebulizer(sp?) for her asthma and has never had a problem, she takes it on the ride and all.

Maus
05-02-2005, 07:09 PM
My husband has COPD and is on oxygen 24/7. The last time he went to Disneyland he used his portable system called an Oxymatic. This uses the smaller M6 tanks in a pulse-burst system. He's on 3 liters and it will last about 3 hours. He has his own wheelchair with an oxygen holder on it and we brought an extra small tank into the park. He was able to go on all the rides he wanted to (no "thrill" rides) bringing the small tank with him. I strongly advise a wheelchair for your dad to conserve his energy at the park.

Your dad's oxygen supplier should be able to help him with his travel connections. If he uses an electric concentrator at night they can have one delivered to his hotel prior to your arrival. The phone number for Apria in Tustin is 714 978 2330 in case he's an Apria customer.

Leash81
05-02-2005, 10:25 PM
My husband has COPD and is on oxygen 24/7. The last time he went to Disneyland he used his portable system called an Oxymatic. This uses the smaller M6 tanks in a pulse-burst system. He's on 3 liters and it will last about 3 hours. He has his own wheelchair with an oxygen holder on it and we brought an extra small tank into the park. He was able to go on all the rides he wanted to (no "thrill" rides) bringing the small tank with him. I strongly advise a wheelchair for your dad to conserve his energy at the park.

Your dad's oxygen supplier should be able to help him with his travel connections. If he uses an electric concentrator at night they can have one delivered to his hotel prior to your arrival. The phone number for Apria in Tustin is 714 978 2330 in case he's an Apria customer.

He is indeed an apria customer. I will pass along the number to him so he can make arrangements with them and the GCH. I don't know the name of what he uses at home but an apria guy comes by once a week to refil it and the refill spout is covered in ice when he is done. It also ssems he has been able to get a small tank that goes in a black nylon case and kind of looks like a backpack so hopefully that won't be a big deal on rides, I was thinking he would have to wheel his big silver tank around which I know he would hate. We were thinking about getting him a wheelchair but he is kind of stubborn and insists he doesn't need one, but we will see how he feels by the second day. We are also thinking of booking the concierge level for our trip so that he can go back to the hotel to relax during the day and not just be stuck in the room. We all want this to be a really special trip for him since it will probably be our last trip as a family and possibly his last trip where he can do all the rides, before his emphesyma gets too bad to handle.

daveinMN
05-03-2005, 12:52 PM
Leash,
My dad has Pulmonary Fibrosis, and I am in a wheelchair from Muscular Dystrophy. MAKE him rent a scooter for the WHOLE trip! It doesn't have the implied stigma as a wheelchair, wont wear you out pushing him, and will make his trip so much more fun! Tell him pride doesn't do him much good when he has to sit on a bench and watch you guys have all the fun. Also, if he has one of those portable units that looks like a tank with a shroud on it, he should be able to take it on most everything he would even want to ride. Probably NOT Indie, but that thing tears you apart anyway. Good luck, and consider yourself lucky. I really wish I was going!

Dave

Maus
05-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Also remind your dad that he will be lugging that tank around all day. If he had a wheelchair or scooter it will also hold the tank for him. Believe me, he will see lots of others in the park using wheelchairs and scooters.

Sounds like your dad is on liquid oxygen and I don't have any experience with that, however each Apria office has a travel desk to help their customers with those arrangements.

You'll have a great family trip!

adriennek
05-03-2005, 07:21 PM
Also, if you rent the scooter from an outside source instead of the resort, he'll be able to take it back to the hotel with him and won't have to leave it at the park. The walk to the GCH from DLR is on a slight incline so at the end of the day when he's already tired, he might really appreciate having the scooter.

Alternatively, you can call the GCH and see if they can arrange to let you rent a scooter through them instead of at the park, again, so you can leave the park with it and take it back to the hotel with you.

I know you said he can be stubborn but that scooter will make a WORLD of difference and HE can control it so it's not losing as much independence as a wheelchair.

Those park rental wheelchairs are very heavy! An electric scooter would be much easier on the rest of the family than having to push a heavy wheelchair. (Been there, done that!)

Adrienne

Leash81
05-04-2005, 09:24 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions, they have given us some really good ideas. More likely than not my dad will end up getting a wheelchair but if we try to push him into it he will not get one just to prove a point, so we will let him walk around and then when he gets tired he will want one and it will have been his idea so that will make it ok in his mind. I swear he can be such a kid sometimes. :rolleyes: As far as the electric scooter I think that would be a bad idea because he will be a danger to himself and anyone within reach if his car driving abilities are the same as scooter driving abilities but it is something to think about because he does love all these cool "gadgets". :)

ToursbabeC3po
05-04-2005, 02:11 PM
I know at Star Tours they started letting the small tanks go on the ride and then they stopped it I have no ideal why... The big issue with oxygen tanks these days is the airport. Make sure you call and find out their rules. Last time I flew with a friend of mine he had to rent one of theirs for the flight and it was a very high cost!
Toursbabe

Leash81
05-04-2005, 04:28 PM
I know at Star Tours they started letting the small tanks go on the ride and then they stopped it I have no ideal why... The big issue with oxygen tanks these days is the airport. Make sure you call and find out their rules. Last time I flew with a friend of mine he had to rent one of theirs for the flight and it was a very high cost!
Toursbabe

If the person with the tank can be without their tank for awhile will the CM's let the guest leave the tank and then retrieve it after the ride? We are driving so there is no worry about planes but thanks for the advice.

ToursbabeC3po
05-06-2005, 05:21 PM
If the person with the tank can be without their tank for awhile will the CM's let the guest leave the tank and then retrieve it after the ride? We are driving so there is no worry about planes but thanks for the advice.
Unless the rules have changed in the last three months then yes they will watch it if it does not cause a hazard at their possition.