PDA

View Full Version : Rock It/Van Halen Mountain

Pages : [1] 2

HorizonsA
04-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Ok, when reading Al's article the other day, I was kind of disappointed to hear that the music for Rock It Mountain will be Van Halen. I don't know, I think I'd rather have a futuristic feel to the attraction rather than a heavy metal, Rock N' Roller Coaster feel to it. I guess it's because I'm not into that kind of music and I don't think it's very "Disney-like." If Walt were still alive, I doubt he would allow Van Halen music onto his Space Mountain.

bradk
04-29-2005, 12:59 PM
'ain't talkin' about love' comes to mind.. that'd be a killer song for it i think, or apollo 440's 'ain't talkin' about dub' version since i brought it up.

TikiGeek
04-29-2005, 01:01 PM
If Walt were still alive, I doubt he would allow Van Halen music onto his Space Mountain.He definitely would not like David Lee Roth :D

Space Mountain Mike
04-29-2005, 01:27 PM
How about Peter Schilling's Major Tom, or Def leppard'sRock It (Which could also be pronounced "rocket" a play on words). I think that would be appropriate

stan4d_steph
04-29-2005, 01:29 PM
Van Halen? So 80s/early 90s...

Lani
04-29-2005, 01:39 PM
Van Halen? So 80s/early 90s...If it's true, I'd assume they wanted a counter to Aerosmith.

We were discussing Van Halen in another thread, but they crank it out at a really visceral level.

olegc
04-29-2005, 02:00 PM
My GUess - either they do something a brand new with just a guitar/rhythm section track. No vocal. This way Disney owns the song... Something similar to what Dick Dale did for the ride track while ago.

And really, that was more Surf Rock than futuristic - so using Van Halen now won't be too much out of the realm. Can you imagine the marketing possibilities? This month - Def Lepard, next month - Metallica, Next month - Jethro Tull (those of you who know grammy history will get the joke).

Disney Vault
04-29-2005, 02:17 PM
This is just what I have heard but I don't know if it is true. They were just testing the new lighting effects to the Van Halen music. And it won't be the actually music to open with rockit mt.

MonorailChris
04-29-2005, 02:28 PM
i remember going to the klos night of indiana jones and space mountain running with the lights off,and playing rock music .one time the ride was to enter sandman which was timed perfect(i don't think intentionally) but when we were starting off and going up into the ride it was cool.also red hot chili pepers,and van halen.if you saw twister,van halen did a awesome instrumental song on the soundtrack.it was used during the closing credits :D

Pat-n-Eil
04-29-2005, 02:55 PM
Maybe they're trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. We don't get a version of Rock'n Roller Coaster - we get Space Mountain and Rockit Mountain.

Personally, I think Van Halen is a good choice. Aerosmith being from the East Coast and Van Halen being from the West Coast, it just seems to fit.

Name another band who's music appeals to as many people, is rock and has the longevity that Van Halen has shown? (Sorry, British bands need not apply - this is an American institution).

stan4d_steph
04-29-2005, 02:56 PM
If it's true, I'd assume they wanted a counter to Aerosmith.

We were discussing Van Halen in another thread, but they crank it out at a really visceral level.I guess I've been watching too much VH1. When I think of Van Halen, I just think of lead-singer drama and gross spandex.

Powerslave
04-29-2005, 03:00 PM
I'd love it if they used Cannibal Corpse's "Pit of Zombies", but I suspect I would be in the minority :)

munchkinsmom0003
04-29-2005, 03:10 PM
Personally, I think Van Halen is a good choice. Aerosmith being from the East Coast and Van Halen being from the West Coast, it just seems to fit.

A think it's a good choice too. My DH will flip when he hears about this! He's a huge VH fan. :)

sdfilmcritic
04-29-2005, 04:13 PM
Well since Van Halen wasn't around and well established when Walt was working in his prime we don't know for a fact that they would not have been choosen to get involved on a Disney related project. When Walt was alive and working on Disneyland he did have celebrities participate in projects by contributing creative input or making public appearances for the company. I'm sure he would have considered Van Halen if he had found a project they would be useful for. Just because Van Halen cannot be considered "futuristic" should not discount them from making a really cool soundtrack for a ride.

Marox3
04-29-2005, 07:27 PM
OK - I will probably be the only one really excited Van Halen will be playing.

EDDIE..........EDDIE..............EDDIE........... ..EDDIE...............EDDIE.........

I'm thrilled. :cool: :cool: :cool:

GeminiAngel
04-29-2005, 07:55 PM
He definitely would not like David Lee Roth :D
Guess he wouldn't like Areosmith for Rockin roller coaster either. Van Halen is a perfect choice for this old headbanger from the 80's era!!!!

Hakuna Makarla
04-29-2005, 07:59 PM
I loved david lee roth! I loved his just a gigilo..... Ain't got nobody..... nobody.....california girls, man I feel young again just thinking about him and his dancing :)

I went here just to see him sing again, cool site to hear music :)

SCUBAbe
04-29-2005, 08:12 PM
If Walt were still alive, I doubt he would allow Van Halen music onto his Space Mountain.

yeah, but he's not alive...build a bridge and get over it. The what would walt do thinking is what caused the company to stagnant and what brought eisner in....

TikiGeek
04-29-2005, 08:55 PM
Guess he wouldn't like Areosmith for Rockin roller coaster either. Van Halen is a perfect choice for this old headbanger from the 80's era!!!!I think you are right. :D I'm a headbanger from the 90's and I would love to hear Metalica on Rockit Mountain - but I'm just dream'in. I won't turn down Van Halen, they rock, but it's 2005, they could do better. ;)

Wendi
04-29-2005, 09:07 PM
I think Jump would be appropriate...

Osky
04-29-2005, 09:54 PM
How about Peter Schilling's Major Tom, or Def leppard'sRock It (Which could also be pronounced "rocket" a play on words). I think that would be appropriate

I was thinking Def Leppard as well after seeing the way it is spelled on the sign:
http://grundler.smugmug.com/gallery/507931/5/20851606

RStar
04-29-2005, 10:53 PM
Seems to me it would be a music track made for the ride, not a top 40s review :)

Sorry, no David signing "I'm your Ice Cream Man, baby, stop me when I'm passin' by"

ForgetmyNDA
04-30-2005, 12:50 AM
<Pulls out his soapbox again>
You know... I REALLY begin to wonder when people keep bringing up this "Walt wouldnt have done this" "Or walt would be turning over in his grave if he saw this" ... While everyone likes to think that he was a great guy, and did everything for everyone, Which maybe he did have good intentions in alot of things... But here is a newflash for some of you...

WALT DISNEY WAS A CAPITALIST...

Disneyland was created to make money, This is of course true now, and was still true in 1955... Theres all these stories about walt turning down ways to make more money because it would degrade the park in some way, Well guess what... Keeping the park pristine is also a way to make money, It keeps people coming back to spend more money.

Just because there is a rumour that Van Halen is doing the music for space mountain means absolutely nothing, Who knows if David Lee Roth will even be singing in it <let us all pray he doesnt> and who knows if its going to sound anything like Van Halen...

The point is, If Walt thought it would make money and the people would like it, He would do it... So please get over the "Walt wouldnt have allowed this" stuff... Safe to assume that virtually NO ONE on this forum has ever even met the man, Or spent more than 2 minutes talking with him, So who is to say what he would or wouldnt do? All we know of him is hearsay...

<puts soapbox back>

pretty Omi
04-30-2005, 01:31 AM
i like the vh match! i love 80's my fave being billy idol...but beside the pount... van halen rocks

bradk
04-30-2005, 03:46 AM
actually, walt had no real interest in how much money the park made (or lost) since he licensed his name to the company for about $135,000(?) per year.

the company may even had to pay retlaw for the use of the trains and monorail too