PDA

View Full Version : I wish they'd wrap Mark Twain in blue fabric...

King of the Frogs
04-29-2005, 06:27 AM
I have never seen anything quite so tacky as the Mark Twain has become. Gold that isn't gold everywhere, the ugly and awkward 'crowns' on the smokestacks, rotted wood (where it isn't painted "gold"), and now the homecoming banner. What were they thinking??? :confused:

If this is the revered "icon" of 1955 Disneyland, I shudder to think of what's coming next!

04-29-2005, 06:29 AM
And why is the wood rotting? I've seen actual 19th century riverboats and they're okay. What's the deal?

stan4d_steph
04-29-2005, 06:38 AM
KoF are your referring to some photos or did you see the damage up close? The photos I've seen looked okay, but they could have missed what you're describing.

King of the Frogs
04-29-2005, 06:46 AM
Water + Wood + Time = rot. Just makes me sad to ses all the effort go into not-so-shiny fake "gold", and not into saving the Mark Twain from the inevitable deterioration.

And what's that thing hanging down under the back of the boat? Wasn't there a couple of years ago.

olegc
04-29-2005, 09:55 AM
I actually don't mind the gold touches - but it struck me as odd to have a banner that was SOLID across the stacks.. That's a SIGN, not a banner. I can only imagine the reasoning behind it was to ensure that the words were always visible in any sort of photograph taken by anyone. It just doesn't fit, that's all..

HorizonsA
04-29-2005, 12:04 PM
I have never seen anything quite so tacky as the Mark Twain has become. Gold that isn't gold everywhere, the ugly and awkward 'crowns' on the smokestacks, rotted wood (where it isn't painted "gold"), and now the homecoming banner. What were they thinking??? :confused:

If this is the revered "icon" of 1955 Disneyland, I shudder to think of what's coming next!

I don't know what you're complaining about, I was on the Mark Twain yesterday and everything was well maintained. The gold looks great. The Riverboat is still a great picture-taker. And what about the banner? It looks good, it's not hurting anything; it makes the vessel look quite magnificent.

Disney Vault
04-29-2005, 02:13 PM
I really like the look of the Mark Twain right now. I wouldn't wan't it to be this way forever but I really like it for the 18 months.

cstephens
05-01-2005, 10:15 PM
I saw the new sign on the Twain today, and I really like it. I like the gold touches too. It's muted gold, not Golden Horseshoe Gold. I think it makes the Twain very pretty.