PDA

View Full Version : May 5th forecast now 20% chance of rain

Pages : [1] 2

jennia
04-28-2005, 02:06 PM
I just checked weather.com again for a forecast update. Yesterday there was a 10% chance now they upgraded it to 20% chance of precipitation. This brings to mind 2 questions:

For those of you who visit DLR often is there a website that you find has reliable weather for Anaheim? I've used weather.com for a while but we only visit *sunny* days. So far they are 100% accurate on the sunny days we've visited on but I don't know about accuracy of rain (and I do know that this far out *no* forecast is 100% accurate.)

How do you adjust your plans for a possibly rainy day at DLR? Do you pack an umbrella, do you buy ponchos, what have you found useful to bring vs. buy at the park?

Tinker Bell
04-28-2005, 02:16 PM
I go with my big coat and enjoy the rain and low crowds. Thank you you just made my day.

DCAWhites
04-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Wait a couple more days and if its still under 40% then it will be fine weather. If it does rain on a low chance of precipitation day typically its just scattered showers with sun. Its the days that have like 80-100% chance of rain that need to be avoided!

sediment
04-28-2005, 03:52 PM
weather.com is the best you'll find. A week away predicting rain, at 20%, is not very credible (statistically speaking).
There are plenty of threads about DL in the rain. Most of them state that there will be lower crowds, and that most of the rides/attractions are indoors. Just cover your head with a waterproof wind/rainbreaker hood, and if you wear glasses, wear a baseball cap. Some waterproof shoes might be necessary for really bad showers.
Sheesh, not as if the rain will kill you. Nor your children.

disneyguy247
04-28-2005, 03:56 PM
...........but rain will kill both the pardae and fireworks!

I Heart Disneyland!
04-28-2005, 03:56 PM

Amen sediment! I live in Seattle, and I haven't croaked yet!!!!

For me, rain means lower crowds and more time for me and hubby to enjoy the day without them! :)

AVP
04-28-2005, 03:59 PM
So you're saying we need to develop a quick MouseAdventure game for May 4th and 5th, to guarantee clear skies...

Oh, ALEX!

Mommy2NicknMax
04-28-2005, 04:00 PM
This would be my only fear when it comes to rain. Otherwise, I'm with I Heart, nothing wrong with a little rain! ;)

sediment
04-28-2005, 04:02 PM
And it keeps away people who come only for the fireworks.

jennia
04-28-2005, 04:04 PM

OK, so I admit I'm a princess!!! :D I avoid the rain partly because of the drive (1 1/2 to 2 hours in good weather so who knows what in the rain) and partly because we already operate at a disadvantage of sorts because of the wheelchair. DS 10 is 100% boy and virtually indestructable- I know the rain won't bother him. He practically begged to go in the rain when a CM mentioned that it is less crowded.

sediment
04-28-2005, 04:52 PM
OK, so I admit I'm a princess!!! :D I avoid the rain partly because of the drive (1 1/2 to 2 hours in good weather so who knows what in the rain) and partly because we already operate at a disadvantage of sorts because of the wheelchair. DS 10 is 100% boy and virtually indestructable- I know the rain won't bother him. He practically begged to go in the rain when a CM mentioned that it is less crowded.
You're on the road to recovery -- admitting it is the first step!

Well, at 4 in the morning, it won't be as long a drive. You will be going early, eh?

Disneyfreak
04-28-2005, 04:59 PM
I will be extremely mad if it rains that day. I have a party planned basically for 10 people and if it rains I dont know what will happen. One person in my party is celebrating his birthday on that day and I have multiple friends coming that day to see the fireworks and parade.

bradk
04-28-2005, 06:59 PM
hmm..

well, weather.com is essentially the same as the national weather service, so it's all sort of the same thing.

for what it's worth though, it's incredibly hard to forecast the weather more than 3 days out. introducing the 10 day forecast was one of the silliest things the nws ever did.

could get worse, could get better, it all depends on the weather systems. even a same day prediction can be wrong.

sunfun94
04-28-2005, 11:31 PM
well....

I just checked weather channel as well as nws (nbc4) and both show party cloudy...weather channel does mention a 20% chance...but it wont rain with only that low of a chance as well as still a forecasted party cloudy day...

bradk
04-29-2005, 02:14 AM
as of this moment, weather.com reports there will be scattered showers in the evening. if that wasn't the case last night, it might indicate that the system is moving faster than originally anticipated which means it might soon indicate rain during the day. of course it can always go the other way as well.

DerrickJ
04-29-2005, 06:10 AM
It's California, It won't rain. They never predict it right out here.

disneyhound
04-29-2005, 06:39 AM
For those of us who cannot be anywhere near the park for the May 5th Gala, I'm hoping for rain... hee hee ;)

Photographer
04-29-2005, 06:41 AM
If it rains there will be a very happy crowd watching Eisner melt.

RStar
04-29-2005, 06:49 AM
As of this morning the Weather Channel lists mostly cloudy and 66 on the 5th (under my local weather). Same with the local news stations. The last few times rain was predicted, for the most part it didn't come through. I don't think it will be a problem.

jennia
04-29-2005, 06:56 AM
Well, at 4 in the morning, it won't be as long a drive. You will be going early, eh?

4AM doesn't sound like a princess schedule to me. :D I'm thinking of grabbing a room nearby the more I ponder this. If I'm going to do it, why not do it 100%?

This AM weather.com says high of 70°/ low of 53° with a 20% chance of precipitation. 70 degress ought to be a very pleasant day even if it sprinkles.
I'll go ahead and grab some jackets to have them ready as well as baseball caps for DH and I (*THANKS* I never thought of that!!) since we both wear glasses.

kimk
04-29-2005, 08:20 AM
just checked weather.com and the chance of rain has been increased to 30% for May 5th.

jennia
04-29-2005, 08:26 AM
OMG, you are right! Right before my eyes, too. Ah well,some of us are going to get happier and happier and some of us more and mroe upset......
what am I going to do you ask?

I'm going to Disneyland, of course! :D

Mommy2NicknMax
04-29-2005, 08:30 AM
I'm going to Disneyland, of course! :D
That's all that matters!!!! Hope you have a great time, rain or shine!!!

mkcbunny
04-29-2005, 04:30 PM
This AM weather.com says high of 70°/ low of 53° with a 20% chance of precipitation. 70 degress ought to be a very pleasant day even if it sprinkles.

If you get a forecast like that on the day before, it will be fine. That's a pretty good forecast, as far as temps and rain go.

bradk
04-29-2005, 04:35 PM
right now, it's showing showers during the day. which in a sense is a good sign, it might mean the system is moving faster than originally anticipated and it may even rain earlier in the week instead, although the system may change speed/course or, more likely, the changes in speed have already been accounted for.

in any case, it's still too early to reliably predict anything