PDA

View Full Version : PeopleMover [merged]

Pages : [1] 2

ksejr1
04-28-2005, 08:53 AM
I can barely remember the people mover. Wasnt the entrance where the buzz lightyear line is now? Going through that room with the huge screen that went all the way around. Same as rocket rods. Well, If i'm correct, and they want to bring them back, where will the line be? Any ideas?

evrythngwmn
04-28-2005, 09:00 AM
The line was there at the base of what is now called the observitron (the big ugly thing atop the People Mover). They moved it with Rocket Rods to give it a longer que.

On a side note even the Rocket Rods has faded into the past. I had a new CM doing inspections the other night ask me where it was. :p

ksejr1
04-28-2005, 09:06 AM
so you lined up the same way when they had the elevator to get to the rockets when they were up above?

evrythngwmn
04-28-2005, 09:08 AM
yep from what I recall. The People Mover line basically walked up a set of stairs and the actual line for the Rockets was down stairs and when it was your turn you were taken up in the elevator.

D-lander 1956
04-28-2005, 09:11 AM
The People Mover line basically walked up a set of stairs
I remember an escalator going up to the platform, then on to a circular moving belt along side of the cars . . . ;)

evrythngwmn
04-28-2005, 09:13 AM
yes escalator. That's it. The current use of the stairs to access that area has confused me. Memories get fuzzy as time goes on. ;)

mkcbunny
04-28-2005, 09:54 AM
Did the People Mover take a peek inside Space Mountain, like the Tomorrowland Transit Authority does at WDW-Magic Kingdom? I can't remember, and my memories of the two rides are blurring together.

sleepyjeff
04-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Actually it was a speed ramp like the ones for the monorail and the Haunted Mansion.

----

Yes it did take a quick peek in on Space Mt. as well as Star Tours.

sleepyjeff
04-28-2005, 09:59 AM
If you wish to "ride" the peoplemover and see what it was like click Here. (http://www.visionsfantastic.com/visions/dlr/disneyland/tom/history/peoplemover.html)

FantasmicFanatic
04-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Was it not also one of the highest capacity rides? It was my favorate of all time. I miss it so.

FF

sdfilmcritic
04-28-2005, 06:42 PM
Did the People Mover take a peek inside Space Mountain, like the Tomorrowland Transit Authority does at WDW-Magic Kingdom? I can't remember, and my memories of the two rides are blurring together.Yes, but there wasn't much to see other than a big glowing yellow ball.

Germboy
04-30-2005, 12:01 AM
Yes, but there wasn't much to see other than a big glowing yellow ball.

You mean red ball? And don't forget the chocolate chip cookie--and the rockets spinning by!!

Just enough to whet your appetite to go in, but without giving anything away.

I just went to WDW for the first time last December, after wanting to go for 25 years. Their Transit Authority doesn't compare at all to what the Peoplemover at Disneyland once was. In fact, I didn't really like their Tomorrowland. Reminded me of a big, crowded, loud, video game at the mall. Very little "Tomorrow" and too cartoonish. The most annoying part of the Transit Authority was sitting in the dining area to the right of the entrance and listening to that same stupid spiel over and over and over again. Something about "Blah blah blah Tomorrowland Centerrrrrrr" over and over and over. I got so annoyed I had to pick up my food and leave.

sdfilmcritic
04-30-2005, 12:05 AM
You mean red ball? And don't forget the chocolate chip cookie--and the rockets spinning by!!It's been two years now since the ride has been closed down and I've already forgotten what the color of the giant ball was. :rolleyes:

mkcbunny
04-30-2005, 01:03 AM
I just went to WDW for the first time last December, after wanting to go for 25 years. Their Transit Authority doesn't compare at all to what the Peoplemover at Disneyland once was. In fact, I didn't really like their Tomorrowland. Reminded me of a big, crowded, loud, video game at the mall. Very little "Tomorrow" and too cartoonish. The most annoying part of the Transit Authority was sitting in the dining area to the right of the entrance and listening to that same stupid spiel over and over and over again. Something about "Blah blah blah Tomorrowland Centerrrrrrr" over and over and over. I got so annoyed I had to pick up my food and leave.

Last May and Jan were my firsts visits at WDW, as well. Having no adult memories of the People Mover, and only shadowy childhood images in mind, we LOVED the TTA. Long, peaceful ... a nice sit-down in late afternoon. We usually rode it twice in a row. I would love to see the People Mover come back to DLR, and if you are right that it tops the TTA, all the better.

pirateabbie
04-30-2005, 01:16 AM
If you wish to "ride" the peoplemover and see what it was like click Here. (http://www.visionsfantastic.com/visions/dlr/disneyland/tom/history/peoplemover.html)

I had forgotten all about that great Tron part. That always cracked me up.

You know, that ride can't be all that expensive to run and look how many people it holds. Why hasn't it been brought back? I can't be the only one who thought it was nice to be able to sit down and enjoy a nice view for a while on a hot afternoon.

mkcbunny
04-30-2005, 08:52 AM
I can't be the only one who thought it was nice to be able to sit down and enjoy a nice view for a while on a hot afternoon.
Exactly.

oregontraveler
04-30-2005, 10:07 AM
I had forgotten all about that great Tron part. That always cracked me up.

You know, that ride can't be all that expensive to run and look how many people it holds. Why hasn't it been brought back? I can't be the only one who thought it was nice to be able to sit down and enjoy a nice view for a while on a hot afternoon.

It may have been a high-capicty ride, but they also called it a 'slow loader'
with high CM staffing. With a low turnout, it was too expensive to maintain.

I loved the video, and the music rocks, no really. Seeing the Tron 'speed tunnel' again was great and the CircleVision que with the picture panels :crying:

splashmtngurl
04-30-2005, 10:23 AM
So tell me if this is rumor, i cant remember where i heard it but i remember hearing something about the rocket rods and how alot of the reason it kept breaking down was because th cars were not fit to go around the sharp un-banked curves which caused alot of technical difficulties and rough wear on the vehicles. so basically i heard that in order to get the ride up and running again with min. breakdowns, the would just need to bank all the curves. yeah it would cost some money and even possibly a small update on the ride vehicles but do you remember how popular the ride was. I loved it, when you could get on it without it breaking down. i rode it only twice on my first ever trip to dl and once out of the two, we sat on the attraction for 20 minutes waiting for it to be fixed. i wish disney would spend the extra money to get the ride up and running again. The track is ugly just sitting there, in my oppinion its a bigger waste of money to leave the track sitting there in limbo. Think about it, if the rocket rods were re-opened and this new submarine ride really pulls through, then tommorrowland would be in pretty good shape. We would have buzz lightear, autopia, space mountain, star tours, astro orbiter, innoventions, honey i shrunk the audience, the new sub ride (close enough to tommorrowland) and the rocket rods. not to mention that the monorail and tommorrowland train station are also nearby. tommorrowland is steadliy getting better

well back to the people mover, i guess thats what made me want to talk about the rocket rods, they ran on the same track right?

i'm tired of disney giving DL crappy attractions (ok not crappy all the time, but not as good as they can be) just because it costs to much money.
So put in some great attractions that cost alot and really mean something and then people wont have a problem with paying a little extra to get into the park.

nightdesigns
04-30-2005, 12:06 PM
The reason I ask is that a lot of the foundation elements of the people mover still exist, most of which I would have thought they would have removed when the installed the Rocket Rods.

Case in Point, the old loading/unloading area. The hand rails are still there, the staris are still there, isn't the moving walkway and the elevators still there as well? I mean, even the old control center area is still visible. I would think that when they installed the rocket rods, they would have yanked all that stuff out.

I never had a chance to ride the rocket rods, but it must have been strange doing that roundabout and seeing all the old hand rails still in place.

Few pictures: Thanks to disneygeek
http://www.disneygeek.com/updates/2005_04_15/DSC05120.jpg
http://www.disneygeek.com/updates/2005_04_15/DSC05026.jpg
http://www.disneygeek.com/updates/2005_04_15/DSC05046.jpg

HorizonsA
04-30-2005, 12:34 PM
Ok, here's another question. The Motorboat Cruise attraction has been closed for 12 years. An yet, when we saw them draining the water a few weeks ago, we could see that the track was still there! You'd think that an attraction that has been closed for more than a decade, the track would be taken out. It doesn't make any sense to just leave it there with no future use. The Fantasyland Skyway is an exception as that building is like a memorial to the late attraction.

And yes, there has been mentioned an attraction coming to the former PeopleMover/Rocket Rods track. We din't even know if a PeopleMover is returning or an entirely new attraction is coming. I don't know which one i'd want.

mkcbunny
04-30-2005, 12:43 PM
There's an earlier thread going on the subject of the People Mover, here:
http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=41095

tod
04-30-2005, 01:17 PM
Ok, here's another question. The Motorboat Cruise attraction has been closed for 12 years. An yet, when we saw them draining the water a few weeks ago, we could see that the track was still there! You'd think that an attraction that has been closed for more than a decade, the track would be taken out. It doesn't make any sense to just leave it there with no future use. The Fantasyland Skyway is an exception as that building is like a memorial to the late attraction.

What doesn't make sense is expending time, effort and expense to remove the track when you can just leave it alone, under water, where it's no danger and nobody can even see it.

It's the attitude displayed here that led Paul Pressler to destroy the hand-silksecreened attraction posters that had been in storage. Imagine what a display they would have made... or how much money they could have made if they had been offered to the public. What would you pay for an undisplayed, un-faded attraction poster?

--t

oregontraveler
04-30-2005, 04:14 PM
you are correct splashgirl, they didn't have any money to put the banks in so the rods had to slow down on the curves, thus creating a broken ride. I believe Al Lutz made a brief mention the Rods might be coming back in 2007,
THIS IS ONLY A RUMOR THOUGH!

splashmtngurl
04-30-2005, 07:49 PM
thanks oregon travler, i knew i had heard a rumor somewhere!

Matt Ouimet (??) is really bringing the park up to speed, i'm really excited about everything he's done so far. I can hardly wait to see what happens with the subs, the old motor boat cruise area and the old superstar limo.....i hope things work out!

nsyncitnd1787
04-30-2005, 08:16 PM
thanks oregon travler, i knew i had heard a rumor somewhere!

Matt Ouimet (??) is really bringing the park up to speed, i'm really excited about everything he's done so far. I can hardly wait to see what happens with the subs, the old motor boat cruise area and the old superstar limo.....i hope things work out!

don't foreget about the festival areana area in Frontierland! just more valuable and wasted space. plenty of room for 1, 2 or even 3 new (possibly E-ticket) rides! it's all so exciting!