PDA

View Full Version : Nicknames permitted on mouse ears?

Pages : [1] 2

Hoppypooh
04-28-2005, 06:42 AM
I read on another site (IntercotWest) that DL does not permit the embroidering of nicknames on the mouse ears. My husband's name is Robert Hopkinson but is known to all as "Hoppy." He has been called this since grade school, it's on his army uniform nametag... in fact I even called him Hoppy in our wedding vows!

So will they permit him to embroider "Hoppy" on his ears or will it have to be Robert?

sdfilmcritic
04-28-2005, 06:43 AM
I've seen some Golden Mouse Ears with nicknames embroidered on it. I guess it's just a matter of which CM you go to for the embroidery.

bradk
04-28-2005, 06:46 AM
officially, no. only proper names. no nicknames, company names, etc.

i can offer no explanation for bones in indy.

edit: to add, you can always just claim his name is Hoppy. nowadays, it literally could be anything. i just wouldn't pose it as a question.

Darkbeer
04-28-2005, 06:47 AM
Offically, NO!

But some CM's are more willing than others... I suggest you try the DCA Greetings from California shop on a quiet day.

oregontraveler
04-28-2005, 06:51 AM
I noticed that MammaSilva got new gold ears with her name on them. check her avatar.

MammaSilva
04-28-2005, 07:03 AM
Yep I do have Momma Silva on my ears, and the official answer I got was we are NOT allowed to put nick names on the ears but I was very very polite and very pathetic :fez: and explained that it's my 50th birthday and I REALLY wanted my ears to have my 'name' that I've gone by as a volunteer and online forever on my ears and the CM graciously broke the rules...BUT ....I didn't Demand it, I waited til there wasn't a HUGE line of guests waiting to be served and I was very 'lowkey' about my request. Had I gotten told no, I very honestly would have simply waited and tried a different location/CM until I ran out of time on my trip or got what I was asking for. I also have GoH badges with MammaSilva on there....being respectful and pleading goes a LONG way with the CM's ;) but totally be prepared for them to say no.

Hoppypooh
04-28-2005, 07:21 AM
Thank you all very much for the replies and the tips! This board has been a huge help with my trip planning! :D

squuggy
04-28-2005, 08:17 AM
When I (Robert) got my last pair of mouse ears, they were embroidered "Squuggy" with no questions asked. My best friend John's say "Squunky". I would think provided there is no profanity involved in the nickname that it would be okay.

Terri
04-28-2005, 08:21 AM
When I was a CM and embroidered names on hats, I would do just about any name unless it was obviously a "bad" reference or a name that was beyond huge (it wouldn't fit on the hat anyway!).
But...I remember back in October 2001 when I wanted to get my grand-nephew his first ears they balked at his name. We went to DL on the same day he was born (in Santa Cruz). My sister (her grandson) and I were there as a memory to my mom who had recently passed away and as a gift to the new baby. My niece was slow on naming him (4 days) and the joke in the family was that his name was "Hewho" - short for He Who Has No Name. So...naturally we wanted Hewho on the hat. They REFUSED! I was nice and kind and explained the entire situation and said it was for "Ginger" my mom. (who...as a CM had Ginger on her nametag but NEVER was ever known by that name until she started work at DL!!! Her real name was Virginia...)

Anyway...my sister finally went to a different store and convinced them there that Hewho was a real name and after much work, they finally put Hewho on the hat.

ARRRGGGHHHH

Pat-n-Eil
04-28-2005, 09:08 AM
So how do they define "Nick Name"? Is a contraction of a name a nickname?

For instance, my name is Patrick - but I prefer my friends and family call me Pat. I could get "Pat" on there or would that be a nickname?

My daughter is Kathleen, but goes by "Katie". Would "Katie" be allowed or would it be considered a nickname.

I guess I'm looking for more of an "official" answer here if anyone knows for sure.

hlbtimes2
04-28-2005, 09:19 AM
Shorten versions are not a problem. My husband had Sam, and his name is Samuel. But I'm sure if I wanted my son to his nickname "turbo" they might question us. Although, I might try for it anyway! Turbo is at least shorter for them then Harrison (which they barely made fit on our last visit).

bradk
04-28-2005, 09:32 AM
if it's a proper person name, it should be fine. Katie should be fine.

Katemeister? not so fine.

Leash81
04-28-2005, 10:44 AM
They wouldn't let me get my nickname on there even though it has to do with my name because it is not spelled the same. My name is Alicia pronounced ah-leash-ah so I have been called Leash since I was a baby. Well the CM said that since it is spelled like a dog leash I can't have it. :crying: Too bad they don't call me Ali. Maybe I will buy another pair of golden ears and tell them my name is Leasha but I go by Leash, wonder if that will work? Do you think they will ask for ID to prove my name?

bradk
04-28-2005, 10:48 AM
whenever someone asks for ID, say you left it in the room. with that in mind, i doubt they'd ask for it.

get leasha, but bring a gold marker so you can erase the a.

Leash81
04-28-2005, 11:04 AM
whenever someone asks for ID, say you left it in the room. with that in mind, i doubt they'd ask for it.

get leasha, but bring a gold marker so you can erase the a.

That's a good idea but I can't imagine actualy being able to match that shade of gold.
I think I will try again when we go in july. I have a really old pair of the black ears with Leash on them so I really want a gold pair to match.

Ulysses
04-28-2005, 11:06 AM
Saying you left your ID in the hotel will, or SHOULD, get you this response: "In that case, I'll be happy to do that name as soon as you come back with your ID."

I have been a hat writer for a long time and have heard every argument and plea there is on the nickname policy.

The policy on nicknames is quite explicit. If people have persuaded CMs to write names such as "Squiggy" they have gotten away with something completely forbidden. CMs do not create this policy but they are held responsible for enforcing it.

I don't know many CMs who will risk being disciplined for doing something like that. Hat writers get paid a premium (although a paltry 25 cents per hour) for doing their specialty job, and are vulnerable to having their specialty yanked if a manager gets mad at them.

If you care about the CM's well being, don't pressure her/him to do something against policy; ask to speak to the manager. If the manager OKs it, then fine. I have seen managers say OK to nicknames if the guest swears it will be taken in the suitcase straight back to Australia or whereever and never worn in the park. (It DOES matter which manager you get.)

charpaul
04-28-2005, 11:12 AM
The Disney policy - as explained by a nice CM once - is that nicknames are not allowed because they don't want to be forced into putting a questionable word on something. They are only supposed to use proper names on items.
The fear is that once they start allowing non-proper names that anyone could have anything on their hat. Disney is not in favor of that.

That being said - some CM's are more helpful about this than others - as you can see from this thread. If you really want something "special" and it is not vulgar you might be able to get it.

MammaSilva
04-28-2005, 11:13 AM
Well, one thing that keeps coming up in the discussions I've had with other friends these days is the fact that people do have unusal names. Apple anyone? People who have unusual family names because of their ethnic hertiage? Granted I KNOW that the CM broke the rules for my ears and I made sure to thank them profusely for doing so but at the same time I just don't see the 'harm" in having a family name on the ears. A good friend and I had this discussion over this very thread this morning and both of us know men who go by the name Chip and have since birth, they are usually a "JR"/2nd and get tagged with being a "chip off the old block" but that becomes their Name....so they should be denied being able to have something as simple as their souviner ears have their name on them? It isn't like they're asking for a curse word or something negative on there. I realize the individual CM's don't make the policy, but at the same time how 'hard' to they have to argue with a guest that THAT really 'isn't' their name?

bradk
04-28-2005, 11:28 AM
Saying you left your ID in the hotel will, or SHOULD, get you this response: "In that case, I'll be happy to do that name as soon as you come back with your ID."

just to clarify, i didn't mention that to suggest that the CM would respond with 'oh, okay, i'll do it anyway then.' it was just an easy out instead of saying 'no, you may not see my id.' i would suggest happily moving on to the next shop and trying there, or trying later. the CM saying no is the worst thing that can happen and there's always someone else somwhere else that might say no, but it never hurts to try.

it also seems like a lot of people are just trying to make a 'where do you draw the line?' point here. to me, it seems pretty clear. something like Chip is actually fairly commonplace, so even if it is a nickname for that person, it shouldn't be an issue.

Apple? shouldn't really be an issue either (altho you never know). if a CM advises you nicknames are not allowed and you can insist that it's not a nickname at all, then that should (in essence) vindicate the CM. not to suggest that it should be used irresponsibly. the spirit should be kept the same, proper names only. if the name happens to be 'unique,' that's just how it is and you shouldn't have to suffer for it. but it also shouldn't be an invitation to bend the rules either. of course if you find a CM willing to bend the rules, that's a whole other animal.

jon80flt
04-28-2005, 11:32 AM
That's a good idea but I can't imagine actualy being able to match that shade of gold.
I think I will try again when we go in july. I have a really old pair of the black ears with Leash on them so I really want a gold pair to match.
Actually, in your particular situation, there may be a very simple solution... remove the "a" from Leasha!

The embroidery is done in a simple chain-stitch, that can be removed simply by pulling the end of the thread... if you carefully pull the thread until the "a" has been pulled out, then tie off the thread.... you'll have Leash! :D

Good luck,
Jon

bradk
04-28-2005, 11:38 AM
oh, yeah. i was kidding about the gold marker thing too. sorry about that.

Crazy4Mickey
04-28-2005, 12:03 PM
if a CM advises you nicknames are not allowed and you can insist that it's not a nickname at all, then that should (in essence) vindicate the CM.

If someone does ask for a name that may or may not be a proper name, in an earlier case "apple", are the cast memebers required to ask for id? Or as Brad was suggesting, is the fact that the cusotmer says it is a proer name enough to get the cast memeber off the hook with thier supervisors? Obviously there would still have to be discretion used by the CM, but in an iffy case would that be enough?

Leash81
04-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Actually, in your particular situation, there may be a very simple solution... remove the "a" from Leasha!

The embroidery is done in a simple chain-stitch, that can be removed simply by pulling the end of the thread... if you carefully pull the thread until the "a" has been pulled out, then tie off the thread.... you'll have Leash! :D

Good luck,
Jon

Thanks I will try that, my mom will be with me on the trip and she knows how to sew and stich stuff so she should be able to get it off without ruining anything.

PrincessAmie
04-28-2005, 12:45 PM
We asked to have Meatball put on my DD's ears. Her uncles have been calling her Meatball since they found out I was pregnant, We wanted her to wear them to the family dinner and thought they would get a kick out of it. When we asked we were told they couldn't do it. I explained the story behind it and she did it for us ( I didn't push just told the story because she was surprised that our sweet 6 month old's nickname was Meatball.) She just made us promised not to wear them in the park. And we didn't. :)

Mythgard
04-28-2005, 01:32 PM
I understand the logic behind all of this, but IF I worked doing this job, I would just do it for people. Here is why I say that. At my last two jobs, I have been placed in a management role, and usually give into the customers because it will make them happy, and bring them back, If it is something like "Meatball" or like my friend and I were trying to have our mascot monkey "Goober" on a name tag, they should do it out of customer (guest) service. I completely understand the profanity aspect, but come on, there is a difference between "Goober" and s--t. People should understand that.