PDA

View Full Version : '70s Tomorrowland ride?

Wiggler
04-28-2005, 04:36 AM
I am trying to remember the name of a ride that was in TL in the 70's. You rode in vehicles similar to the Doom Buggies in the HM. You went through a tunnel that gave you an outside view of TL. I also remember something about being shrunk, and going through a microscope. Am I hallucinating- or was this ride at DL? Just having a flashback to my youth. :)

04-28-2005, 04:37 AM
You need a visit to Yesterland (http://www.yesterland.com/innersp.html).

Wiggler
04-28-2005, 04:40 AM
You need a visit to Yesterland (http://www.yesterland.com/innersp.html).

Thank you 3894! I don't know why I didn't think to go there! Now I totally remember the ride, and know I am not hallucinating!!

sdfilmcritic
04-28-2005, 04:43 AM
I remember that ride well! I cried on it the whole time when I was about three years old. I also remember it was in the building that now houses Star Tours. Those were the days.

MrsPooh
04-28-2005, 07:49 AM
Oh come now! As I have said before, didn't anyone make out in the ride?

I know we weren't the only ones to duck into that air conditioned, dark ride for some kissy-face! ;)

And no, I'm not talking about more than that! :eek:

Terri
04-28-2005, 08:11 AM
It was the Monsanto Ride - Adventure through Inner Space. We always just called it Monsanto (they were the sponsors) or, as any high schooler in the 70's will know if they grew up in OC, it was the make-out ride! :D

MsYumiBr
04-28-2005, 08:22 AM
I'm too young to have done that. :) My sister-in-law on the other hand, she has stories to tell.

04-28-2005, 08:22 AM
I know we weren't the only ones to duck into that air conditioned, dark ride for some kissy-face!

as any high schooler in the 70's will know if they grew up in OC, it was the make-out ride!

I must really, really, really have missed the whole point of this one. To me, it was a boring ranger talk on atoms and molecules.

sleepyjeff
04-28-2005, 10:16 AM
It was the cool shrinking ride........the queue was better then the actual ride :fez:

merlinjones
04-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Totally psychedelic miracle of molecular exploration! Hooray for Adventure thru Inner Space!

mad4mky
04-28-2005, 11:28 AM
It was the Monsanto Ride - Adventure through Inner Space. We always just called it Monsanto (they were the sponsors) or, as any high schooler in the 70's will know if they grew up in OC, it was the make-out ride! :D

We always called it the "Monsanto" ride as well.

And, being a kid in the '70s...I can tell ya...I had many a good kiss fests in that ride. Some are very memorable. :D (and I didn't grow up in the OC...but teenagers far and wide quickly figured it out! ;) ).

blusilva
04-28-2005, 11:42 AM
I must really, really, really have missed the whole point of this one. To me, it was a boring ranger talk on atoms and molecules.

To me, it was a scary, exciting, freaky exploration of the inner world of a snowflake where the guide is the slightly insane & frantic *non-corporeal memory* of the original guy who was shrunk. That fascinated me as a kid. How did his impressions get trapped in this place? I guess I just totally got into the narration. And it wigged me out to ponder the reality that the tiniest of snowflakes contain entire universes....OK, so I was a geek. But I loved that ride!

And, once again, I have to highly recommend the virtual ridethrough available at http://www.atommobiles.com/cgi-project.htm

jon80flt
04-28-2005, 11:52 AM
That was the scariest ride I ever went on! My folks loved it, so we rode it many times... but I never made it through the entrance tunnel where you entered the Shrinking Machine, then made an immediate left turn... I was in a ball squished down by my parent's feet in the "buggy", with my eyes closed tight and my hands over my ears! :crying:

I guess all it took to scare me was to put me in a pitch-black room! :cool:

I didn't force myself to keep my eyes open until I was in High School! After that time, it was, and still is, my favorite ride of all time! :D

PS: I'm not afraid of the dark anymore... or any less?! :eek:

KarenW2
04-28-2005, 12:42 PM
I have a friend who was a CM there and he said the highlight of their day was working backstage at this attraction. They would watch the monitors for couples making-out (and sometimes more!) in the vehicles, then push a button that turned a huge, bright spotlight on the vehlicle and they would announce over the PA that the couple was to stop what they were doing immediately!! Guess it didn't take much to amuse them back then!

bradk
04-28-2005, 12:51 PM
didn't that attraction also have CMs staged inside the attraction who were pretty much aware of things going on as well?

POTC is another one where they traditionally like to applaud and congratulate people who do things they shouldn't on the ride with thanks to the infrared cameras.

MrsPooh
04-28-2005, 02:05 PM

Exactly, thats why the make out! Too boring to listen to! ;)

I didn't grow up in the OC, we thought it was just "our thing." :rolleyes:

Little did we know it was everybody's thing!