PDA

View Full Version : Goofy makeover for superstar limo?

justagrrl
01-17-2002, 11:28 AM
According to an article at Intercot West...

"Superstar Limo at DCA has
gone down with no apparent return date. Inside sources have the return of this
attraction "to be determined", and word has it that the long rumored "Goofy"
makeover is on its way. Some sources state that old Disney Store figures will be
used in this attraction. Which I have to admit, would be a quick, cheap, and easy
way to add The Mouse and Crew to the ride. We will have to wait and see."

http://www.intercotwest.com/news/2002/01/16/001.asp

Ghoulish Delight
01-17-2002, 11:43 AM
Hmmm. I'm not sure what my reaction to that is. Clearly, it can't possibly be as offensively bad as Superstar. But that's damning with faint praise. It'd have to be something more than a stock dark ride to pique my interest, though. If they just stick goofy all over the place, with no sort of coherent story told, I don't think I could stomach it.

mad4mky
01-17-2002, 11:48 AM
I thought the ride was pretty darned "Goofy" in the first place!!;)

EandCDad
01-17-2002, 12:32 PM
My kids really liked Superstar Limo and I was a little bummed when I heard it was being closed (for a while). But if they do something with Disney characters, that would be good for them also. I would like a better ride overall, but I also want things my kids want to do, and they liked it.

mad4mky
01-17-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by EandCDad
My kids really liked Superstar Limo and I was a little bummed when I heard it was being closed (for a while). But if they do something with Disney characters, that would be good for them also. I would like a better ride overall, but I also want things my kids want to do, and they liked it.

My two youngest girls really like it too. In fact, they love it...
And I have never said anything derrogatory about the ride in front of them...lest I ruin the fun for them.
Personally, I feel the Disney characters would be great in the ride....anythings GOT to be better than it is!
I mean, think about it...DCA in NOT DL, we know that, and I don't expect it to be. Never did. But after it seems like I have riden a zillion times on Peter Pan, or Mr. Toad...I still get excited to go on it. And do...over and over and over. It's magical and fun.
After one time of Stupid Star...I didn't ever want to go back. :(

Mad Madam Mim
01-17-2002, 03:37 PM
Super Star Limo Closed? Darn such news is heart wrenching. I feel such a longing for the obtuse dialog and atrocious visuals that insult every fiber of my intellect.

Really… just sooooo heart broken.

Can you tell?

AVP
01-17-2002, 04:19 PM
I ran into an acquantance from Imagineering at Disneyland, and asked about the Limo makeover.

Me: Will this make it the ride any better?

Imagineer: Do you remember the original Steps in Time?

Me: That bad?

Imagineer: Then remember how they said the second version would "fix" the first show?

Me: Yes...

Imagineer: Consider this to be the same situation - it won't be any better. It's going to be worse. It's going to be awful.

So, make of that what you will.

AVP

Morrigoon
01-17-2002, 04:36 PM
Mim: ROTFL!!! You have put my feelings so eloquently!

(Actually I did find one unoffended fiber of my being... no, wait, that's just lint...)

sugarhigh
01-17-2002, 04:47 PM
that ride was just awful to begin w/. the only funny thing about the ride is how bad it is/was.

i was talking to my coworker/the manager at work and here's the only reason we thought they put that ride in: for all the foreign tourists who are afraid of hollywood. it's cheesiest enough where foreign tourists may smile and be like "right on. we're in hollywood". sorry to any foreign tourists.:D

MMFan
01-17-2002, 05:19 PM
AVP wrote: Imagineer: Consider this to be the same situation - it won't be any better. It's going to be worse. It's going to be awful.
In Al's DIG, he wrote: "Those who are hoping that this thematically troubled attraction will be getting a makeover shouldn't get their hopes up however."

What's going on???

There's all these different rumors on the 'net about SSL. Some say the ride will be changed, others say nothing will happen. Some say SSL is closed for testing, others say not. Some say SSL itself has tech problems, others say it's more about possible problems with Pooh over at DL.

Can someone reconcile all these different stories? Inquiring minds want to know!

MickeyD
01-17-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by MMFan

Can someone reconcile all these different stories?

Lol, don't count on it! :D

Nigel2
01-17-2002, 09:59 PM
Hmmmm it probably won't be a bunch of stuff from the Disney stores since they sold all that stuff on ebay, but I would probably dislike the ride if they did do it with the characters. To me the ride is like a 3-D carachure of La hot spots, and some of the stars.

Uncle Dick
02-07-2002, 12:05 AM
I still think my idea for a Pooh makeover of Superstar Limo (saving the Country Bear Playhouse, to boot!) is still the best. Why they wouldn't use a ride system that's already in place (and unpopular) for a new and spectacular Pooh ride is beyond me. IMHO, Pooh fits in better with HPB than Critter Country. It would also be a great way to draw more families into the park. Alas... :(

Nigel2
02-07-2002, 12:08 AM
Nah, pooh is much larger and since space is still scarce it wouldn't fit in SSL without being lame.

Uncle Dick
02-07-2002, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Nigel2
Nah, pooh is much larger and since space is still scarce it wouldn't fit in SSL without being lame.

How do you know how large Pooh is going to be? And how do you know that Pooh won't be lame anyway? ;)

Nigel2
02-07-2002, 09:30 PM
Well lets see, they are going to use the theater for the ride (well most of it since they need some space for the stuff for the scenes. And SSL is realitivly small (look at the building from the outside). SSL just seems longer since the car goes so slow compared to other rides...

mcampisi
02-11-2002, 02:35 PM
Maybe it's from growing up in a show business family but I always got a kick out of the ride. Maybe it's because it made you look around and if you didn't get the inside jokes, it was boring. I don't think a lot of out of state tourists would get all the inside jokes about stuff we see and hear about all the time in SoCal.

Horace Horsecollar
02-11-2002, 03:02 PM
Hmm--maybe "cheapness" is the solution. Instead of Superstar Limo, use the existing track to satirize a typical Hollywood studio tour. Make it a tour of a very low budget, American International-like operation, complete with collapsing sets, cheesy monsters, and Ed Woodish special effects. They could even use the video monitors on the limos to show completed "scenes" from the studio's low-budget masterpieces.

This might twerp off Universal a bit, but what the hell.

hbquikcomjamesl
02-11-2002, 03:08 PM
Isn't it already sufficiently full of -- er -- "pooh"?

(sorry; I couldn't resist. It's like seeing a waitress with a Winnie-the-Pooh tie, when I always, almost reflexively, ask her, "how did you get Pooh all over your tie?")

innerSpaceman
02-11-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by AVP
Imagineer: Consider this to be the same situation - it won't be any better. It's going to be worse. It's going to be awful.
Well just about the only thing that could make SS Limo worse for me would be to make it Goofy Limo. In fact, such a transition would likely make the ride simply bad instead of so-bad-it's-funny.

And what does Goofy have to do with California? I'm going to enjoy seeing the park struggle to add new attractions while sticking with the strait-jacket California theme. A struggle doomed to failure.

SimpTwister
02-11-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Horace Horsecollar
Hmm--maybe "cheapness" is the solution. Instead of Superstar Limo, use the existing track to satirize a typical Hollywood studio tour. Make it a tour of a very low budget, American International-like operation, complete with collapsing sets, cheesy monsters, and Ed Woodish special effects. They could even use the video monitors on the limos to show completed "scenes" from the studio's low-budget masterpieces.

That's actually a damn good idea, HH...

Nigel2
02-11-2002, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Horace Horsecollar

So you would want CMs in Drag? Hey why not, then late nights could make it the then Midnight Attraction.:D

Horace Horsecollar
02-12-2002, 02:14 PM
Thanks, Nigel--I think it could be a true "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" for DCA if it's done right.

Hmm--do you picture Goofy wearing an angora sweater and shouting through a megaphone? (Aghh! Bad imagination! Down! Bad!)

splbound
02-12-2002, 02:49 PM
hate to burst bubbles, but I heard from a top attractions Mgr. that the reason the attraction (sic) is closed is 1. the track is showing major stress in areas it shouldnt, they are working on a fix, and 2. they are testing the Pooh cars on the track, as they are the same ride vehicle frames.

Nigel2
02-13-2002, 09:15 PM
Actually that is good for me since I do like that ride.:D

Hmmmm, could you imagne how funny that would be for a car to derail at 2 mph?:D