PDA

View Full Version : Are Guests getting worse?

Pages : [1] 2 3

leota's necklace
04-25-2005, 08:12 PM
Just got back from a weekend at the Park and witnessed some of the worst Guest behavior I've seen yet. Some choice scenarios include:

1) a man dropping the F-bomb, loudly and repeatedly, in Coke Corner because the restaurant had run out of soda by 12:40 on Saturday night. (Best part of that was the appearance of his wife not fifteen seconds later to verify that they were indeed out of soda and her husband wasn't merely too incompetent to order a Coke as she'd probably originally assumed.) The poor CM behind the counter looked like she'd been slapped and each of the following Guests apologized to her profusely on his behalf.
2) a teenaged local (possibly stoned out of his gourd, from the way he acted on the ride later) who, upon being asked very politely by a CM to extinguish his cigarette in the Indy queue, nodded assent and then continued to take three HUGE, slow drags (effectively finishing the darn thing), nodding the whole time in that "yes, I am putting it out" way. I made a point to thank the young lady for her attempt; she looked exhasted.
3) a father who drove his toddler daughter from simple whining to sobbing hysterics to try and guilt a CM into letting them board the already-full Monorail. More than idiotic behavior, this really seemed like abuse.

And of course there was the onslaught of people taking flash pictures and video with their darn vidscreens out and talking all the way through the dark rides. But that's a given, really.

What the heck was up this weekend? Was there some sort of deal going on? Was I just noticing it more? Are people turning into selfish, ignorant monsters en masse?

I used to work retail; I know people can be jerks. But these seemed less like single-occurance things that could be attributed to people being tired and stressed, and more like people being genuinely mean. Is anyone else noticing an upswing in stuff like this, or was I just in the wrong place at the wong time?

Earkid
04-25-2005, 08:18 PM
Wasn't this the last 2fer weekend? We can only hope.

SCUBAbe
04-25-2005, 08:19 PM
^^

yes guests are getting worse because society is all about ME>>>ME>>>ME>>>and screw everyone else...and it was the last weekend the 2fer could be used so that usually drags in the bottom of the barrel....(that was harsh....sorry....but I still have nightmares about when I went last year on the last weekend of the 2fer....)

charpaul
04-25-2005, 08:19 PM
this was the last "offical" weekend for the 2fer deal.....

ILoveChurros
04-25-2005, 08:34 PM
Honestly, that happens all the time, unfortunately this won't stop because the 2fer is ending. I wish it would though!

I also heard a guest drop several F-bombs and S-bombs, not because they are upset, it was just part of their conversation, mind you, I was in line for the teacups and there were children present...arrgg some people these days!

justlittleoldme
04-25-2005, 08:39 PM
When we were riding the train by the toontown station, the train was leaving and a family of about 6, goes and opens the exit gate (mind you, they had to lift the bar out of the ground, turn it and drop it, then open the exit gate), and ran at the train. The poor conductor looked like he was out of his mind, and went flying off the train as the train stopped. Then, the whole train was like "ohhh, just let them on". Thank goodness he made them go back to the right spot.

Disney Vault
04-25-2005, 08:51 PM
When we were riding the train by the toontown station, the train was leaving and a family of about 6, goes and opens the exit gate (mind you, they had to lift the bar out of the ground, turn it and drop it, then open the exit gate), and ran at the train. The poor conductor looked like he was out of his mind, and went flying off the train as the train stopped. Then, the whole train was like "ohhh, just let them on". Thank goodness he made them go back to the right spot.
How stupid are people!?! I think Mickey should smack them on the back of the head.

DerrickJ
04-25-2005, 09:11 PM
People are getting the attitude. "I paid 53$ to get in here I can do what I want!!!" Everyone wants to be catered to. Waited on hand and foot. Yet they don't want to give that respect back. The old saying of Treat people how you want to be treated still holds true. A smile and thank you gets you so far at Disney. I have had CM let me ride another time on Indiana Jones and TOT because of kindness. I've gotten sat before numerous people at Blue Bayou with no reservation. I never demand or think I deserve anything but I do always ask the CM how there days are, and engage in a bit of small talk. Not cause I want something in return, I just like to be social. It's when people try to throw there weight around does it hit them in the face. Kindness will soon make a comeback. It has too.

Dream Again
04-25-2005, 09:11 PM
At the train station once, a family unknowingly went ahead of me and my mom. The CM notified them of this and told the family that when the train arrived we were to go ahead of them. The little girl in the family then proceeded to scream at me, because apparantly I was a "cutter". She was said some pretty mean things for anybody, let alone a little kid, but it was really hot so I didn't really care and forgave her. It was just that her parents acted like she was doing the right thing and didn't apologize at all that bugged me.

ILoveChurros
04-25-2005, 09:47 PM
People are getting the attitude. "I paid 53$ to get in here I can do what I want!!!" Everyone wants to be catered to. Waited on hand and foot. Yet they don't want to give that respect back. The old saying of Treat people how you want to be treated still holds true. A smile and thank you gets you so far at Disney. I have had CM let me ride another time on Indiana Jones and TOT because of kindness. I've gotten sat before numerous people at Blue Bayou with no reservation. I never demand or think I deserve anything but I do always ask the CM how there days are, and engage in a bit of small talk. Not cause I want something in return, I just like to be social. It's when people try to throw there weight around does it hit them in the face. Kindness will soon make a comeback. It has too.
Excellent point DerrickJ

Flint
04-25-2005, 10:05 PM
... which strengthens my belief that admission prices are too low.

SoCalSteven
04-26-2005, 12:29 AM
Well, I had the same sort of experiences on Saturday night. The people just sucked!

DerrickJ
04-26-2005, 07:01 AM
... which strengthens my belief that admission prices are too low.
I agree with that. In LA it now cost 14$ just for a 2 hour movie. Disneyland gives you so much more than that. Rides, shows, gardens, movies, etc. I think that the price can be low sometimes. Not that it should be made exclusive for people with money, but come on you get so much for 53$.

bradk
04-26-2005, 07:04 AM
$14 for a movie? wow.. in nyc, it's only $10.

HorizonsA
04-26-2005, 07:24 AM
2) a teenaged local (possibly stoned out of his gourd, from the way he acted on the ride later) who, upon being asked very politely by a CM to extinguish his cigarette in the Indy queue, nodded assent and then continued to take three HUGE, slow drags (effectively finishing the darn thing), nodding the whole time in that "yes, I am putting it out" way. I made a point to thank the young lady for her attempt; she looked exhasted.
And of course there was the onslaught of people taking flash pictures and video with their darn vidscreens out and talking all the way through the dark rides. But that's a given, really.

I don't like when people smoke outside the smoking areas. I hate the smell of smoke, so it irritates me when I use the path that goes where the Splash Mountain logs come out after the big drop and there are people smoking. That is NOT a smoking area! I don't mean to be rude to people, but I hate the smell so much that I can't help but cover my nose. :mad:

Everytime someone uses flash photography or video lighting, I just wish I had the courage to say to them, NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY! But then they come up with the excuse that they don't speak English and don't understand.

MartyLuvsTigger
04-26-2005, 07:28 AM
ok, I have to say something....

growing up in LA my parents were POOR. But every year they saved up $$ to take us to Disneyland. We had to pack our own lunch and dinner because we couldn't afford the food in the park. Now with that being said, when I read the "admission is to low, raise it to keep the riff raff out" kills me. We were poor but my parents would have tanned my hide if I would have ever spoken out to an adult. Its not that all economically disadvantaged people have no manners. I have meet enought "rich" people that have acted like jerks. It the social mindset of ME ME ME ME. and that mindset has no regard if you are rich or poor.

04-26-2005, 07:32 AM
when I read the "admission is to low, raise it to keep the riff raff out" kills me. We were poor but my parents would have tanned my hide if I would have ever spoken out to an adult. Its not that all economically disadvantaged people have no manners. I have meet enought "rich" people that have acted like jerks. It the social mindset of ME ME ME ME. and that mindset has no regard if you are rich or poor.

Well said, MartyLuvsTigger! We can all think of millionnaires who are convicted felons, after all.

sediment
04-26-2005, 07:39 AM
I'll bet there were about 60,000 other guests behaving well on Saturday.

Crazy4DL
04-26-2005, 07:40 AM
Well said, MartyLuvsTigger! .

DITTO!!

Crazy4DL
04-26-2005, 07:42 AM

Another excellent point! :)

passthepixiedust
04-26-2005, 07:45 AM
ok, I have to say something....

growing up in LA my parents were POOR. But every year they saved up $$ to take us to Disneyland. We had to pack our own lunch and dinner because we couldn't afford the food in the park. Now with that being said, when I read the "admission is to low, raise it to keep the riff raff out" kills me. We were poor but my parents would have tanned my hide if I would have ever spoken out to an adult. Its not that all economically disadvantaged people have no manners. I have meet enought "rich" people that have acted like jerks. It the social mindset of ME ME ME ME. and that mindset has no regard if you are rich or poor.

Thank you, Marty. Exactly what I would have liked to say, but ever so much more eloquent.

Let's make Disneyland for the wealthy only seems like an ideal Walt would have hated..... After all don't you think a kid whose family gets to go only because they came across a really great deal is going to appreciate the magic just as much (or dare I say more than) the one whose family all has AP's and goes every week ?

Rude is rude is rude. Wealth is irrelevant when it comes to manners.

TikiGeek
04-26-2005, 08:08 AM
Everytime someone uses flash photography or video lighting, I just wish I had the courage to say to them, NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY! But then they come up with the excuse that they don't speak English and don't understand.Yea, I love that excuse too. People are smart enough to cheat the taxpayers of the dumb ol' USofA but they can't seem to figure out the rules of DL even though they are spieled in their native language. :rolleyes:

AmandasDad
04-26-2005, 08:41 AM
I find it works well when I kindly ask someone to watch their language. Most of the time they appologize. The lack of hostility on my part will often prevent them from retaliating. I'm not a target. It does not work all the time but more often than not. Especially the younger set.

DizMagic
04-26-2005, 09:04 AM
the obvious refusal to obey the rules at WDW prompted me to create a new sig line some time back. check it out I think it aptly applies.

leota's necklace
04-27-2005, 07:42 PM
I wish more of them had been around me. My Magic was taking a serious beating. I even tried to ramp up the courtesy factor on my end, smiling more, saying "please" and "thank you" and "excuse me" and "I beg your pardon" even more frequently than I already do, and all I was getting was grunts and blank looks, if I got anything at all. No one seemed to be relaxed, happy, or enjoying themselves. It was like some sort of Disney Zombie movie. I expect that in the summer, but I was really surprised by it last weekend.