PDA

View Full Version : Mulholland Madness refurbishment

Pages : [1] 2

TerryTiger
01-15-2002, 04:56 PM
What's going on with Mulholland Madness? It's on the refurbishment schedule for 2 months! I thought they finished all the major mods to slow it down and smooth it out by last summer? Or is it going away permanently (as rumored)?

Gauchograd99
01-15-2002, 05:11 PM
I don't have any hard facts to say one way or another, but from the fact when I was last over there (for all of 2 hours for Soarin and Screamin) it did not look like any work was being done. This smells of a "shutdown for cash" or in plain English ... they are shuttering it like a shop to keep costs due to staffing and upkeep down that extra 40 bucks a day. Kinda lame way to make money, but that is my guess.

mad4mky
01-15-2002, 05:17 PM
Heck, that stupid ride is ALWAYS being "refurbished"...in other words, closed.

I have been to DCA 3 times. Last Feb.....it was closed. Last May...it was closed. This past December...open only 1/2 a day if that when we were there for 4 days.

Must be a great piece of work...

I don't think its the staffing...I think the ride is a "lemon".:rolleyes:

Brown Monkey
01-15-2002, 05:42 PM
I don't think that Mulholland Madness is closing permanently. I hope it doesn't! It's too fun and crazy. Anyway, what I heard is that one of the reasons it's down for refurbishment is so they can build a higher wall around it along the berm of the park. This would be to block off more of the view and the noise that was penetrating that Grand Californian. I think alot of the hotel guests were complaining of this.

Come to think about it, why don't they just enclose the whole ride completely? If they did, they could add some better show elements inside like car headlights driving by and hills, with a view of city light in the distance. Or why not some wind, lightning, and thunder with rain sounds. It would be kidna thrilling to imagine driving wrecklessly down mulholland in a storm!

Morrigoon
01-15-2002, 07:17 PM
One wonders why they didn't call it Lombard Street.....

dcadon
01-15-2002, 07:41 PM
There is no way you can hear Mullholand Madness from the Grand CA. The GCH is practicaly perfect in every way.
I agree that an enclosure would be great. Kinda like a cross between RnRoller Coaster and Mr. Toads Wild Ride...I guess.
A wall would be cool too.
The soap box racers at Knotts had views of the street and no one seemed to mind.
Anyway, what they SHOULD do is let the cars spin freely but that probably won't happen.
Well, my two cents.
-Don
P.S. Does anybody like the red Mountain Dew? I'm undecided.

PinkFloyd
01-16-2002, 03:01 PM
Like mad4mky, Mullholland has been closed my past few visits too. Am I missing much, besides the fact that rides are few and far between?

mad4mky
01-16-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by PinkFloyd
Like mad4mky, Mullholland has been closed my past few visits too. Am I missing much, besides the fact that rides are few and far between?

No...its not all that to be so worked up over it staying closed for a while. Sure, its a fun ride...but nothing to stand in line for. It's just a crazy mouse ride...and one not that fun at that.

But...at least I can say I did finally ride it...

Nigel2
01-16-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon

Have you ever tried to drive fast down lombard? Exactly, you can't (unless you want an accident:D)

Or Mulholland Madness sounds better than Lombard Lunacy.

Morrigoon
01-16-2002, 10:20 PM
But if you look at the overall design of the track, apart from the rather obvious lack of theming or aesthetics (which Lombard has), it's very similar, same hairpin turn/switchback style. That's all I'm saying (and you can only drive DOWN Lombard... another point in the theme's favor ;))

Nigel2
01-16-2002, 10:40 PM
Well you could go up it, if you do some major construction...:D

Still they may have left it at MM because the SF area isn't quite as close, if they switched spots with GD then it would be perfect. All they would need are some facades and plants...

Morrigoon
01-16-2002, 10:42 PM
I'm not suggesting they change it.. I'm questioning the original decision - but I guess you could do that for MOST of that park... starting with the theme....

Nigel2
01-16-2002, 10:53 PM
Nah, I was just picturing it in my head, like a "what if" you could move the attractions arround eaisly and retheme them with little cost. But in real life that would never happen.

mad4mky
01-17-2002, 08:19 AM

Because Lombard Street is more FUN? And a lot more scenic than that ride in itself!

tjrj
01-17-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by dcadon
There is no way you can hear Mullholand Madness from the Grand CA. The GCH is practicaly perfect in every way.
I agree that an enclosure would be great. Kinda like a cross between RnRoller Coaster and Mr. Toads Wild Ride...I guess.
A wall would be cool too.
The soap box racers at Knotts had views of the street and no one seemed to mind.
Anyway, what they SHOULD do is let the cars spin freely but that probably won't happen.
Well, my two cents.
-Don
P.S. Does anybody like the red Mountain Dew? I'm undecided. We liked MM-no it's not on par w/Screamin' or Soarin' but fun nonetheless. And red Mountain Dew is my oldest son's favorite-hard to find except in bottle form here though.

jslivinski
01-25-2002, 12:23 PM
One wonders why they didn't call it Lombard Street..... Because they put it in the wrong section.:p Actually, when you think about it what does Mulholland have to do with Paradise Pier. Must be the "madness" part, people thought he was mad, riding this ride might make some people wonder if you were mad.

Whatever the reason, it's my favorite ride at DCA.

Ghoulish Delight
01-25-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by jslivinski
Actually, when you think about it what does Mulholland have to do with Paradise Pier.

Well, actually, MM isn't quite AT the pier, it's on the WAY to the pier. Which sort of works. If you take Topanga Canyon to the beach, you do pass Mullholland on the way.

Nigel2
01-25-2002, 09:22 PM
Well lets see odds are marketing/promotions decided to give it a name that had to do with a semi-well known street in california, and it had to be catchy, and roll off the tounge nicely (As I said beofore Lumbard Lunacy could have worked):D

FriendOfDaisy
01-26-2002, 01:28 PM
I think the key to enjoying MM is riding it at night - it's a lot scarier when you look out over the lights in the dark.

David

Uncle Dick
02-03-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Nigel2

Have you ever tried to drive fast down lombard? Exactly, you can't (unless you want an accident:D)

Or Mulholland Madness sounds better than Lombard Lunacy.

Except nobody knows how to properly pronounce "Mulholland". ;)

If MM is going away, I'll be the first to rejoice. I would rather see an empty space next to Burger Invasion than the abomination that MM is. I'd rather spend 12 hours straight in Innoventions than ride MM again. Not only is it devoid of any sort of thrill, it's also painful. Sort of like going to restaurant and not only getting poor service, but also being repeatedly kicked in the shin by the waiter. I can confidently say that MM is the worst attraction Disney has ever created from every conceivably vantage point. Jumpin' Jellyfish may be just as boring, but at least it doesn't try to cause substantial bodily harm to you.

DisneylandKid
02-03-2002, 02:34 PM
I don't think it would be that hard to enclose MM... they would only have to add some lights below (the city) and headlights to the cars, paint the interior, w/ maybe some little effects, and maybe a police car/police man audioanimatronic??

We need to be Imagineers.

SimpTwister
02-03-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

Except nobody knows how to properly pronounce "Mulholland". ;)

OK, Uncle Dick, enlighten us... :)

Gracy_hm
02-03-2002, 08:10 PM
I have not had the Red Mountain dew i will buy one and post what I think.

DZNEENUT
02-03-2002, 10:16 PM
Amen Uncle Dick! Pain is right. Better than riding at night to make it more exciting, how about passing out pain meds? A Clonopin a 1/2 hour before might work too. This is really the only ride at PP that I think is pure traveling fair material. I know some people like it, but I am an avid rider of everything and I hate this. I tried to like it. But bruises and pulled muscles...please. It's not so much the top switch-backs but the sudden turn before the drop that causes the most pain.

If they must keep it, redesign it so the harsh elements are out and it is moved and rethemed to Lombard Street. Now that was a brilliant suggestion (credit to the previous posts). If anyone is that hyped for an adrenaline fix, I think Knott's has a rubber band that slings you in the air...I'm sure Magic Mountain does.

Uncle Dick
02-03-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by SimpTwister

OK, Uncle Dick, enlighten us... :)

I just mean in general, "Lombard" is whole lot easier to figure out than "Mulholland". Add on top of that the total obscurity of Mulholland Drive (until the recent movie was released, how many outside of LA had ever heard of it?), and it's not that great of a name.