PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet in and around Disneyland

wriley
04-25-2005, 03:48 PM
This will be the first time bringing the laptop with us and we were hoping to have internet access. But as far as I can find, none of the disney hotels nor parks have wireless or ethernet access. Can anyone confirm this and has anyone got an unsecure network signal in the disneyland hotel?

Andrew
04-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Click (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=38505&highlight=wifi) for all the info you need.

tinkluver
04-25-2005, 03:57 PM
I'm not sure about "wireless" but I know GCH has internet ports in each room.

Suburban Plankton
04-25-2005, 04:55 PM
We stayed at the PP in November. They had Ethernet ports in the rooms at that time, but they weren't yet connected to anything. As I recall, we were told that all Resort hotel rooms would be on-line by the end of the year (2004). So you should be OK now.

I can let you know for sure on June 5, as we will be staying at the DH.

disney jones
04-25-2005, 06:14 PM
free wireless is all around DLH and GCH.

i couldn't get a signal in the Bonita Tower lobby, but they have pretty much everything else covered.

Opus1guy
05-11-2005, 05:21 PM
I've been surfing on the free Wi-Fi up in the Grand Californian's Concierge Lounge and I just came downstairs to the Lobby as the piano player just started up.

Don't know about the rest of you folk's experiences, but I'm getting tons of Security Alerts from my Zone Alarm Firewall here! Sometimes 2 or 3 a minute! It's blocking all sorts of attempts to all sorts of different Ports.

I normally never get pop-up alerts of Firewall activity, mainly probably because most wireless routers have their firewalls turned on, and attempts never get as far as my laptop. But best I can figure is that Disney has their router's Firewall turned off and that's why I'm getting attack block alerts?

Just typing this post I got 7!

So make sure your Firewall is turned on if you surf here, I guess.

MrsG
05-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Just wondering Opus1guy.... do you actually have a house you live in?? You always seem to be in a hotel somewhere. :D

Andrew
05-11-2005, 05:30 PM
That is the problem with open access WiFi--all kinds of unwashed packets come storming your ports. In general, though, you should always have an active firewall; the one built in to Windows XP SP2 will usually suffice as long as it's turned on.

Opus1guy
05-11-2005, 05:52 PM
Yeah. I just ran some www.grc.com tests on the hotel's router. It's got more holes in it than a piece of Swiss cheese. You'd think they would turn on some of the basic security features of their Wi-Fi. I've surfed all over the world and I've never had as many attacks anywhere, as I'm experiencing right at this moment here.

Just make sure you have your machine fully protected before surfing here, I guess.

MrsG...I do have a house I call home. It's just that you might call me a "Traveling Salesman" of sorts, so I'm not home as often as most, I suppose.

Today was just sort of a makeup for missing May 4th due to work. :)

Osky
05-11-2005, 09:38 PM
I heard Eisner was over there with a laptop. Coincidence? :eek:

Opus1guy
01-13-2006, 07:55 PM
Well...the Grand Californian seems to have cleaned up their Wi-Fi router's firewall issues that I posted about above, as I've been sitting here at the Heartstone Lounge for some time now, and haven't had a single laptop firewall alert. :)

But what's really strange is that I'm picking up another SSID other than Disney's. It's "hhonors" and while the signal strength is very low, I was able to connect. For some that might not recognize that SSID, it's from the Anaheim Hilton!

Man...that's some good range on the Hilton's Wi-Fi. Either that or my new laptop has much better reception than my old one!