PDA

View Full Version : Any Info on an Old Frontierland Rendering?

Krisdrama
04-25-2005, 02:39 PM
So my uncle got ahold of this painting from a guy named Louis Rector, who says he painted it as a reference for the construction of the entrance to Frontierland. Its 7' x 3'-1" on masonite mounted to a 1 x 3 frame. I have found a puzzle that was released in or before 1955 that looks almost identical. One of the sketch postcards, P11877, is also very similar. http://www.disneylandpostcards.com/frlconcept.jpg It refers to the land as Frontier Country and Disney Land. Anybody have any other info or know of anyone I could talk to? You can email me (Krisdrama@hotmail.com) I am not allowed to do attatchments yet so I can't show an actual picture of it unless I can email it to any of you. Thanks!

smd4
04-25-2005, 03:18 PM
On the face of it, it sounds like your uncle may have a genuine piece of very early park history. The size and substrate (masonite) seem inconsistent with someone who just liked the artwork and wanted to try copying it for fun. And the provenance (the story from the gentleman) seems intruiging, so you may want to ask him a few more questions to see what kinds of details he can provide (did he work for the studio? What were some of his other projects? Why did he get to keep the piece?).

Anyway, this sounds very interesting. If it's authentic, it is probably close to priceless to the discerning Disney collector.

tod
04-25-2005, 03:46 PM
So my uncle got ahold of this painting from a guy named Louis Rector, who says he painted it as a reference for the construction of the entrance to Frontierland. Its 7' x 3'-1" on masonite mounted to a 1 x 3 frame. I have found a puzzle that was released in or before 1955 that looks almost identical. One of the sketch postcards, P11877, is also very similar. http://www.disneylandpostcards.com/frlconcept.jpg It refers to the land as Frontier Country and Disney Land. Anybody have any other info or know of anyone I could talk to? You can email me (Krisdrama@hotmail.com) I am not allowed to do attatchments yet so I can't show an actual picture of it unless I can email it to any of you. Thanks!

Try Dave Smith at the Walt Disney Archives at the Studio.

The main switchboard number is 818 560 1000.

--t

Krisdrama
04-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the advice! I'll try that.