PDA

View Full Version : POTC/Blue Bayou question

Pages : [1] 2

CptJackSparrow
04-25-2005, 11:49 AM
Since POTC will be closed in Oct., will the restaurant be open?

tod
04-25-2005, 11:53 AM
Since POTC will be closed in Oct., will the restaurant be open?

It usually isn't: They rehab them both at the same time.

--t

CptJackSparrow
04-25-2005, 11:56 AM
thanks--we were hoping to go for my wife's B-day on Oct 11, but were not sure if it would work out. We have a trip planned then but I guess this will have to wait until another trip. We live in Utah and have never been to eat there, and were really hoping to go this time.

TikiGeek
04-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Maybe you could go to Napa Rose for a birthday dinner?

CptJackSparrow
04-25-2005, 11:59 AM
I don't know if my kids--ages 2,4,6--would do well at Napa Rose. The reviews make it sound really good, so maybe we'll be brave and give it a try even with the kids.

dlandnut
04-25-2005, 12:02 PM
Favorite POC/Blue Bayou memory: we were at a waterside table and you can see the POC boats as they go by. Some guy in one of the boats hollered, "throw me some bread" and so my brother stood up and threw him a big chunk of bread, which he caught! Everyone in the boat and near us in the restaurant were laughing. I'm not sure how much the cm's appreciated it, but it was funny. Enjoy your October visit. Wish you could go there, you'd love it! :)

sdfilmcritic
04-25-2005, 12:08 PM
What's up with the bread roll thing? I've heard so many stories about the boat passengers asking for bread as if it's an everyday occurence. Of the numerous visits I had to the restaurant I've witnessed more boats full of noisy passengers trying to get a reaction out of the restaurant customers than anything else. Not once have I personally experienced one of these bread roll boat passengers.

CptJackSparrow
04-25-2005, 12:08 PM
I know we will have a great time. We went last Nov. for the first time in 15 years and my kids loved it so much we are going this year for my wife's birthday. Eating here just would have added to the trip, but I am sure we will find something else to do. Thanks for the info--finding this site will add a lot to this trip. I wish I would have found this site before our last visit.

04-25-2005, 12:11 PM
I don't know if my kids--ages 2,4,6--would do well at Napa Rose. The reviews make it sound really good, so maybe we'll be brave and give it a try even with the kids.

Don't do it! Yes, the food at Napa Rose is all that but the turnaround is slow, as befits a fine restaurant.

With young kids, you need the Israeli commando mode - you go in, you get your food and you get out. Even Blue Bayou would be a bit of a stretch but much more doable than Napa Rose.

stan4d_steph
I don't know if my kids--ages 2,4,6--would do well at Napa Rose. The reviews make it sound really good, so maybe we'll be brave and give it a try even with the kids.You might try Storyteller's instead of Napa Rose. They've got a children's menu that used to have a "make your own" pizza. The restaurant still has a nice atmosphere without being as "fancy" as Napa Rose.

wabby1
I'm the culprit who threw the roll. dlandnut is my sister. Knowing what I know now, I don't think I'd ever do that again! I'm surprised they didn't throw my butt out of the place! The Blue Bayou has become my favorite restaurant just because of the atmosphere, and I think the food and service are great.

CptJackSparrow
04-25-2005, 12:45 PM
We were thinking Blue bayou because the atmosphere would keep the kids occupied--after reading the comments we will avoid Napa Rose. A long wait and 3 kids do not go together. Since we are staying at the GCH, Storytellers may be the best option for them. Any other inside the park recommendations for good food, while dealing with kids at the same time?

bradk
04-25-2005, 12:51 PM
are you limiting yourself to full service restaurants?

Rhiannon8404
04-25-2005, 12:53 PM
Since you are staying at GCH, you could always let the kids have some fun at Pinnochio's Workshop, while you and your wife have a nice dinner at Napa Rose.

CptJackSparrow
04-25-2005, 12:58 PM
I want something nicer for a 30th birthday for my wife. I think I have read that Pinocchio's Workshop is only for ages 5-6+? I don't think they will take my younger two.

bradk
04-25-2005, 01:04 PM
so if you don't mind losing the kids, i'm sure you can even find an outside babysitting service to visit the hotel. i used to be friends with someone who operated such an agency in nyc (they were primarily a nanny service, but employed the unemployed nannies part time doing babysitting). they had agreements with the hotels to call them when a guest requested babysitting services from the front desk.

the front desk at your hotel may already have someone in mind (sometimes they don't like suggesting anyone for legal purposes) or you could find an agency otherwise. one in particular is mentioned in the unofficial guide.

CptJackSparrow
04-25-2005, 01:08 PM
I don't really want to drop my kids for it. They are pretty well behaved out to eat, but I don't think they will do well if it takes much over an hour. By the time we get there they will be closer to 3, 5, and 7 yrs old. I was really looking forward to surprising my wife at the Blue Bayou until all of the Pirates refurb came up. A 30th only happens once and I need to do more than bad pizza, burgers, etc in the park.

stan4d_steph
04-25-2005, 01:10 PM
We were thinking Blue bayou because the atmosphere would keep the kids occupied--after reading the comments we will avoid Napa Rose. A long wait and 3 kids do not go together. Since we are staying at the GCH, Storytellers may be the best option for them. Any other inside the park recommendations for good food, while dealing with kids at the same time?Other places: Don't forget to try Whitewater Snacks, especially since you're staying at GCH. They've got great burgers, sandwiches and other items, including some really yummy breakfast choices. It's fast and tasty - you order and pay, then pick a table and they bring the food to you.

You might also try the Wine Country Trattoria at DCA for a nicer service restaurant. There's outdoor seating.

kimbopotamus
04-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Just thought I would sneak a quick question in on this thread instead of starting a new one....do any of the restaurants (Blue Bayou in particular) allow 'bigger' kids to order from the kid's menu? I will be taking a 13 and 14 year old who are very picky eaters and would probably much more enjoy the 'kiddie' food!

Rhiannon8404
04-25-2005, 01:13 PM
I want something nicer for a 30th birthday for my wife. I think I have read that Pinocchio's Workshop is only for ages 5-6+? I don't think they will take my younger two.

Yep, I just checked, it's ages 5-12. In room babysitting services are available through the hotel.

What about trying some place in DTD? I think Naples Ristorante e Pizzaria is a nice place for dinner and they do have kids menus with puzzles and stuff. Also they will give the kids a piece of pizza dough to play with if you ask.

bradk
04-25-2005, 01:14 PM
well, here's the reality of the situation. you can call for priority seating for BB up to 60 days out. i don't think anything else at DL or even area restaurants require reservations that far in advance. so with two months to go, you can call the dining line and see if they're keeping the restaurant open during the potc rehab.

you also have the DTD restaurants and if you have a car accessible to you, i'm sure you can find a place nearby.

CptJackSparrow
04-25-2005, 01:17 PM
good suggestions--I will call them in advance to see what is open, and just play it by ear when we get there. Thanks for all the advice--I am just not very familiar with the options in the area to have a nice dinner but help to appease the kids as well.

bradk
04-25-2005, 01:23 PM
well that's what i was asking. are you open to area restaurants?

CptJackSparrow
04-25-2005, 01:27 PM
DL Area is fine--I will be driving so I will have my car. I would just prefer to be close by DL. DTD is great as well as anything within close driving distance.

Disneyfun
04-28-2005, 02:13 PM
In reply to your question on if big kids can order off the kids menu it depends on the waiter. But I have had waiters that have let my 83 year old grandma order off hte menu