PDA

View Full Version : Hotel upgrades?

splash
04-24-2005, 04:14 PM
We are going to Disneyland on May 11-17. We made reservations at the DLH for a splurge. We booked city view (cheaper option), but now I'm wondering about upgrading to theme park view. If I wait until we are there, how likely is it that the hotel will do this for us without an extra fee? Anyone out there have experience with this. Also it will be my sons 11th birthday while we are there, do I just tell them at the desk to get his birthday pin, or do I contact them ahead of time? Would appreciate any info that anyone has.

SeansMom
04-24-2005, 04:24 PM
I can't speak to the upgrade part, but considering your dates you may have to do it now if you want it. I imagine the crowds will be pretty big!

We stayed at the GCH recently, and checked in on our son's 12th birthday. I just told the CM who checked us in, and she brought us a birthday button, balloons, and a signed print of pooh, tigger, and piglet. I did fax the hotel about three days before our arrival with our requests and that it was his birthday. This seemed to work out well for us!

Hope he has a very happy birthday!

MsYumiBr
04-24-2005, 04:30 PM
We are going to Disneyland on May 11-17. We made reservations at the DLH for a splurge. We booked city view (cheaper option), but now I'm wondering about upgrading to theme park view. If I wait until we are there, how likely is it that the hotel will do this for us without an extra fee? Anyone out there have experience with this. Also it will be my sons 11th birthday while we are there, do I just tell them at the desk to get his birthday pin, or do I contact them ahead of time? Would appreciate any info that anyone has.
Although I do not know about the upgrading thing because I tend to not let anything up to fate that I can do something about, I *would* call ahead of time about the birthday pin. They may even have some balloons and a souvenier birthday photo if they know about it ahead of time. They make the buttons up and give you the photo when you check in. They also mess up on views, extras, all kinds of stuff so make sure you go over everything with them before heading for your room. I had concierge and they totally gave us the wrong kind of keys. I didn't think they would mess up on something like that because after all, I did pay for it. I even got hassled when trying to get it straightened out. That was 10 minutes of stress I didn't need at the *beginning* of our family memories weekend. It takes one minute to verbally go through the reservations with the CM. Good luck on your impromptu trip. Don't forget to stop by City Hall even though you already have a button to have one of the characters wish you happy birthday on the phone. There's also an article about birthdays here too. Definitely get a wake up call too and let the kids answer the phone!!! Have a great time! I know you will.

Rouxe1688
04-24-2005, 05:25 PM
o i wish my family brought me to DL when i was little, but nooooo, let's wait til she's 10 and is in that snooty phase when she thinks she's too cool to meet the characters. Do they give you little treats no matter what age your turning, even turning 17? I'll take a pooh signature and a paper hat any day.

MsYumiBr
04-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Well, I turned 39 in February and went to the DLH for *my* birthday. They didn't give me the balloons but I had ordered and purchased ahead of time custom gift baskets so balloons may have been overkill anyway. It was sooooo cool and so worth it. When we checked in they made up my button (we were actually collectively celebrating our birthdays because they all fall within a month of February) and gave me an envelope with a black and white 8x10 picture of the Pooh gang with a happy birthday signatures and greetings. I had that up the whole time we stayed at the hotel. Just ask. You never know what they can come up with.

Rouxe1688
04-24-2005, 05:37 PM
Well, I turned 39 in February and went to the DLH for *my* birthday. They didn't give me the balloons but I had ordered and purchased ahead of time custom gift baskets so balloons may have been overkill anyway. It was sooooo cool and so worth it. When we checked in they made up my button (we were actually collectively celebrating our birthdays because they all fall within a month of February) and gave me an envelope with a black and white 8x10 picture of the Pooh gang with a happy birthday signatures and greetings. I had that up the whole time we stayed at the hotel. Just ask. You never know what they can come up with.

I'll be sure to ask for balloons

splash
04-25-2005, 07:12 AM
Okay, who do I call about getting the balloons and birthday button? Do I contact the hotel directly? Thanks for help.

Karen256
04-25-2005, 07:21 AM
I emailed vacation planning with my request. I just told them it was my son's birthday, and requested a birthday button. They left an envelope at the registration desk with a button and signed pics of Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald. It wasn't there when we checked in, but it was there the next day. Since it wasn't there when we checked in they gave us a signed pic of the whole gang together.

I can't find the email address offhand but I will post it when I find it.

As far as the room upgrade, we were upgraded to theme park view at no charge at the PPH. My husband asked at check-in, and she said she had already upgraded us automatically. It was the end of January though, one of the least busy times. Since you're going in May I wouldn't count on a free upgrade.