PDA

View Full Version : What if disney buys MGM?????

alex mouse
01-15-2002, 10:15 AM
If you didnt know MGM is up for sale as of today or yesterday? What do u think will happen if disney buys it and takesover...they'll own pink panther,wizard of oz, etc., any guesses? What does the future hold? With a struggling economy and with 2001 not being the greatest disney year, should they buy it? or maybe put 900 billion dollars into the a new tomorrowland, or as someone suggested earlier "discoveryland" ( i like that idea) or maybe a tribute land to a true california original and legend in dca, one by the name of mickey mouse, maybe mt. mousemore? lol, or go shopping for some old school,homegrown, unbeliavable,make you feel all worm inside "MAGIC" ,lol!

2CN
01-15-2002, 10:50 AM
I thought Disney already owned MGM?:confused: :confused: :confused:

alex mouse
01-15-2002, 10:55 AM
no, they just made disney mgm studios (they did it together) i....u know kinda like the mgm grand/and some other people?...but they dont actually own the production company all the movies and shows

Iceman
01-15-2002, 10:57 AM
No, Disney just got a license to use the MGM name and some of their famous characters in the Orlando park.

If Disney hadn't wasted so much money on buying the Fox Family channel, they might actually be in a pretty good position to buy MGM. As it stands now, I don't think the company has enough cash or available debt to make another major acquisition. That could be awkward if, say, Universal was to buy MGM. Now you've got the Disney-MGM Studios just down the street from the Universal/MGM Studios! :D

tabacco
01-15-2002, 11:34 AM
I think that given Disney's current state, with analysts calling Disney ripe for a takeover itself, it would be a Very Bad Idea for them to go acquiring something as large as MGM.

merlinjones
01-15-2002, 12:37 PM
IF Disney buys MGM, they will NOT own "The Wizard of Oz, "Gone With the Wind", "Tom & Jerry" or any other true Metro Goldwyn MAyer movie product, as those are now owned by AOL/Time/Warner through its aquisiton of Turner.

What they WILL own is the Leo MGM logo, the United Artists, Orion, American International, Filmways, and recent MGM libraries - - meaning The Pink Panther cartoons, OO7, all of Annette's Beach Party Movies, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and others will become Disney properties. I think its a VERY synergistic prospect... Hope it happens.

Just think - - Annette's entire feature library under one roof!!!

alex mouse
01-15-2002, 03:11 PM
awwww no tom & jerry....well i guess there is only room for one classic mouse....! the m-i-c-k-e-y m-o-u-s-eeeee! (singing)lol

Nigel2
01-16-2002, 09:45 PM
Ah I can picture it now, MGM is bought by Disney (arent they going to change the name of D/MGM Studios to Disney studios?) Then a cartoon comes out where Tom and Jerry kill each other and don't come back.:D

coronamouseman
01-16-2002, 10:00 PM
Purchase of MGM by Disney would only throw Disney further off course on their already parabolic trajectory to oblivion ..........

Increasing loss of employment by "middle class" will make Orlando area a ghost town except for European tourists and few North American tourists who (1) have the money and (2) are interested in flying to Florida for a vacation ...........

Disney needs to "batten down the hatches" and ride out the recession with just enough projects and park expenditures to keep them in the news and keep the doors open ..........

Morrigoon
01-16-2002, 10:25 PM
I was going to say....with what money? :p

Maybe if they could manage to pawn off the Ducks or Angels or something, but we all know how likely THAT is.

MGM does have a lot of great classic musicals in their library, don't they?

I think what needs to happen re: Disney is the board of directors needs to hear all this takeover talk and consider handing ol'Mikey his walking papers - or Mikey needs to get a clue. :D