PDA

View Full Version : Security Checkpoint 4/23/05

paulca
04-24-2005, 12:38 PM
I have never seen the security checkpoint line this long on the Downtown Disney side. There must have been 400 people in a line 5 deep to go thru the security checkpoint. My wife and I are from the area and had reservations at the Blue Bayou for a 2:20 p.m. lunch. It was about 1:45 p.m. when we arrived at the security checkpoint and by the time we got into the park it was 2:35 p.m. The security checkpoint needs to have a entrance for people that do not have a backpack or purse to check. Also people that were getting off the tram were going ahead of us and cutting in the line. Disney needs to have a que area leading up to these checkpoints. I asked a security guard to call the Blue Bayou for me and tell them we would be late and he said he did not have the number. I also asked a cast member there to call the Blue Bayou she said she could not. How will they ever handle the crowds on May 5th and beyond. We finally did get to the Blue Bayou but because we were late had to wait until after 3 p.m. to be seated. We stopped at City Hall on our way out and expressed our displeasure for the way the security checkpoint was being handled. The CM went in a back room and returned telling us he called his supervisor and that they had everything under control. Did anyone else experience this yesterday - saturday April 23, 2005.

Rhiannon8404
04-24-2005, 12:50 PM
I totally agree that there should be a line for people who aren't laden down with packpacks, purses or strollers. We aren't a family that carries a bunch of stuff with us. It it doesn't fit in our pockets, it doesn't come with us.

charpaul
04-24-2005, 01:53 PM
i have mentioned in another thred today that Sat. 1/23 seemed like things were just not working like they should at DLR. The lines for everything seemed to move slower than they usually do.

I think it would be helpful to designate the areas at EACH check point -
One line for strollers and large items (far right)- the middle right line for backpacks - and the middle left line for purses/small bags. That leaves one spot open on the left for a no carry in item line - even if they do ask you to open your jacket up on the way through.
This would take more CM's to handle the queues and signage that was easy to understand, but that might make it easier for everyone.

Rhiannon8404
04-24-2005, 01:59 PM
Since we're talking about security check points, what's with people who get to the front of the line and suddenly realize they need to open their purses, backpack, etc. It's like their all surprised, "Oh, you wanted to look in my purse? Oh, I guess I'll open it then."

Every once in a while, I carry a purse or camera bag into the park, I always have it open for the CM by the time I get to the front of the line. Last time we were there (Nov 04), there was a family of four ahead of us. Both parents and both boys had backpacks. They waited until they were at the front of the line to take the packs off their backs and open them for security. They could have gone through in about 1/4 the time it they'd all just had their packs open already. What a waste of time!

SCUBAbe
04-24-2005, 02:22 PM
wasn't this the last weekend for the 2fer's? I know last year I went on the last weekend and it was crazy busy...thats why I avoided going this weekend.:)

I do not open my purse/pack while waiting in the line for bad check. I wait until I get to the long tables. While they are checking the person in front of me I open my purse up. The only problem comes when there's people who are oblivious to the fact that there is a long table there and they just stand blocking it or large families will sometimes block it, but 98% of the time it works out fine...:)

(the reason I dod not open my purse/pack while waiting in line is simply because i do not trust people and that would create a pick pocketers dream...)

Rhiannon8404
04-24-2005, 02:30 PM
I do not open my purse/pack while waiting in the line for bad check. I wait until I get to the long tables. While they are checking the person in front of me I open my purse up.
That's what I mean. I assumed that that's what the long tables are for...getting your stuff ready to be checked. Not just for leaning against while waiting your turn.

(the reason I dod not open my purse/pack while waiting in line is simply because i do not trust people and that would create a pick pocketers dream...)

Totally understandable.

evrythngwmn
04-25-2005, 08:50 AM
Just a couple corrections. It is Bag Check, not a security checkpoint. It is operated by Main Entrance Guest Services CMs.

On another note, the CMs working it are probably just as frustrated about the lack of signage as you. I commented to one of them one morning about their new lights and he went on for a good five minutes about how what he really wants is signs. Help him and yourself and contact Disneyland Guest Relations with your concern.

mkcbunny
04-25-2005, 09:05 AM
Didn't they used to have separate lines for people who don't have bags to check? Has that gone totally by the wayside, or is this a one-weekend case?

evrythngwmn
04-25-2005, 09:30 AM
The flimsy signs were lost in the storms and never replaced and now it's pretty much a free for all.

mkcbunny
04-25-2005, 09:52 AM
I can't believe they would not rectify that for post-5th. Although the fact that it hasn't been reinstated already is disturbing. I just bought a waterproof lanyard ID-holder for the express purpose of not having anything to carry and skipping the bag-check lines. Boo!

evrythngwmn
04-25-2005, 09:55 AM
Yep, I agree. I was almost sorry that morning for commenting on the lights. That poor CM just sounded like he was beside himself. I was almost tempted to make him some signs. :D

meegster
04-25-2005, 10:54 AM
We were there yesterday and they did have a separate line for people without bags. Couldn't take advantage with our stroller and 3 bags. :) Overall, it was crazy busy everywhere yesterday!

Leash81
04-25-2005, 12:45 PM
I must have just missed the crowds. I was there Sat and Sun and I think I was only in line for about 5 min. If I go with someone other than my boyfriend I always tell them that they need to be ready to have their bags checked just so we can get through faster.