PDA

View Full Version : Weekdays or weekends in August

Pat-n-Eil
04-24-2005, 10:53 AM
I posted a question about a year ago similar to this one, but our circumstances have changed as well as the 50 Year Birthday event.. so I'd like to glean a little information from those in the know and have their finger closer to the pulse of Disneyland than I do.

I was not planning to go to Dland this year, but the bug has struck and so we're trying to plan a trip.

It looks like early August is our time frame. My question is this:
Would you book a weekend trip Friday, August 5th through Monday August 8th or
Would you book a weekday trip August 8th through August 11th?

The kids are out of school, but my wife went back to work last year and so she would have to burn 2 more vacation days on a weekday trip. I'm willing to do so and so is she, but we'd like your opinions about whether the crowds will be reduced enough during the week to really make a difference.

I was surprised last time we went, June 28th to July 1st, 2004 (http://thompent.com/camping/dlrjun04/index.html) that the crowds were remarkably manageable - especially considering it was the summertime.. but that trip started on a Wednesday. Perhaps that would be the way to go again?

Anyhow, your thought are appreciated.

Inkman
04-24-2005, 11:56 AM
We took the kids out of school last March and went for a week. Forgot about spring break and the park was pretty crowded even during the week. SM was closed, Indy was down for refurb, Splash was breaking down alot as was HM and BTMRR and TOT was not open yet.

Going this year last week in Aug and i think it will be much better. All of the rides are supposed to be open and there are no scheduled refurbs that week. Plus SM will be open, Indy will be rocking, TOT will be running and Buzz is open. Those are 4 big E-ticket attractions that weren't open/there last year and i'm hoping that will make a big impact on lines, especially during the week.

Plus maybe everybody has used up their summer vacation $$ and will stay home the week before school starts up again... :D

Al

Rhiannon8404
04-24-2005, 12:14 PM
Can you split the difference? Leave bright and early Saturday morning? I know that if we leave at 5am, we can do early check in at our hotel and actually be inside the park by 2pm. You guys aren't that much farther away than we are. Then you could have Sat afternoon and evening, all day Sun and Mon, and Tues morning before driving home.

You guys would only use up two days of vacation, but still get weekday time at the park.

ksejr1
04-24-2005, 02:30 PM
I think that if your going to DL during the summer months, that going during the week will be better than the weekend if you dont like crowds. Of course, there should not be much of a difference, but there will be. :D

bradk
04-24-2005, 04:35 PM
i would think weekends are still going to be dramatically heavier because that's when locals will come since the adults generally work during the week. tourists and some locals will definitely be keeping it busy during the week though

Pat-n-Eil
04-25-2005, 09:00 AM
Can you split the difference? Leave bright and early Saturday morning? I know that if we leave at 5am, we can do early check in at our hotel and actually be inside the park by 2pm. You guys aren't that much farther away than we are. Then you could have Sat afternoon and evening, all day Sun and Mon, and Tues morning before driving home.

You guys would only use up two days of vacation, but still get weekday time at the park.

Actually.. since Southwest Airlines flies into Burbank from here now, I was thinking of using some air miles I have on one of my credit cards to fly down there.. I assume that getting a taxi or shuttle from Burbank to Disneyland would be pretty common. That way we can really enjoy 4 good days.. and leave the last evening. I'm leaning toward the Monday to Thursday scenario.

Thanks for the replies.

Osky
04-25-2005, 09:03 AM
I assume that getting a taxi or shuttle from Burbank to Disneyland would be pretty common.

Burbank is rougly 40 miles from Disneyland, and will take you about an hour in normal traffic. It could be 2 hours if it is rush hour. I have been in Northern California for quite some time, so some locals might want to chime in, but you are much better off going into John Wayne (SNA) if possible.

bradk
04-25-2005, 09:04 AM
Burbank is the furthest airport from DLR (yes, even further than LAX). A cab from LAX runs about $70, I believe a cab from BUR to LAX runs about $30, not sure what going from BUR to DLR is, but you should keep that in mind as a cost for your trip.

Pat-n-Eil
04-25-2005, 02:24 PM
Burbank is the furthest airport from DLR (yes, even further than LAX). A cab from LAX runs about $70, I believe a cab from BUR to LAX runs about $30, not sure what going from BUR to DLR is, but you should keep that in mind as a cost for your trip.

Oops.. my bad.

I meant John Wayne (Orange County/SNA).

That's a pretty short trip from Disneyland isn't it? I'd think the city of Anaheim or the Resort Shuttles would go to John Wayne, wouldn't they?

bradk
04-25-2005, 03:25 PM
SNA is the closest, but there are no complimentary shuttles or anything that I'm aware of. In any case, I'd recommend a cab from there. Should get a flat rate of about $30.

Pat-n-Eil
04-29-2005, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I took the plunge today and booked my family into the Grand Californian for August 8th through August 11th.

And I started my countdown timer! :p

I think we'll just get a cab from John Wayne airport.

Oooh! I'm getting excited :D

bradk
04-29-2005, 12:53 PM
oh my.. i remember when my counter was at 100 days... i feel your pain.. the last 20 are the worst :)

Space Mountain Mike
04-29-2005, 01:34 PM
I went on July 31 last year which was a Saturday and the wait time was 15 to 30 minutes I never had to use Speedpass.