PDA

View Full Version : Driving From LAX to DL In Rush Hour

Wendi
04-23-2005, 09:56 AM
OK... so we are coming on May 5th - flying into LAX and renting a car from Enterprise. Driving from the airport to the Hyatt Regency Garden Grove, just long enough to check in, stow our bags and head to THE park. Any tips for us? There will be two in the car, not sure if we can use the carpool lanes (in SF we have to have 3 in the car) also, I remember the carpool lanes being weird in that you can only enter and exit them at certain places, is that correct? Any recommendations on the best route, or what to avoid?

We are arriving around 7:30 so we'll be on the road around 8am on a Thursday... uggghhhh...

TIA!!!

Susan L
04-23-2005, 09:59 AM
All I can say is, don't stress, have fun :D

SCUBAbe
04-23-2005, 10:33 AM
I'm so sorry...you'll be at the park within 3 hours...:)

car pool lanes are 2 or more, but not every freeway has them. I ahve no idea what freeway to take ...they will all be bad. On the positive side the news calls thirdays ..thurday light (refering to traffic) and it used to be car pool thurday, but traffic is always bad during rush hour (5am-10am/11am) and (2pm-7pm/8pm) one of these days there will just be cinstant traffic. the rush hour window gets smaller and smaller...

keschy
04-23-2005, 12:25 PM
We used to live about 10 minutes from LAX. Normally it would take us about 40 mintues to get to the park but getting to DL during rush hour made it more like 1 1/2 hours..sometimes more I'm sorry to say.There are car pool lanes for 2 people. You have to enter them and exit them in certain places. Often in rush hour the car pool lane is just as slow as the other lanes but you can't just decide to leave it and try a different lane. Be prepared to just sit back and enjoy the drive. I can't think of any other routes that would save you time. We used to use the time to think about what we want to do once we get to DL!

disney_leonard
04-23-2005, 02:05 PM
Wendi- Fortunately you will be going mostly "against" traffic which usually is a good thing and means that you should get there in about an hour (IF there are no problems). Mapquest from 1 World Way, Los Angeles to 1313 Harbor Bl, Anaheim and you will find simple directions that involve some 34 miles of wonderful So. Cal. traffic. There are car pool lanes on the 105 and 605 freeways and they require two people. They have restrictive entry and exit points and in heavy traffic often don't go much faster than the regular lanes.

Allow an hour to claim baggage and pick up your rental car as all of the rental cars are off the airport and you need to take a bus.

Have a great time!

Wendi
04-25-2005, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the info! I appreciate it. I'm not checking bags, no time for that, I also rented from Enterprise, they have a shuttle every 5 minutes to the car rental office (I know it doesn't mean it will really be 5 minutes, but it's better than the places that don't come into the airport to pick up customers). Woo hoo, I'm excited!!! I can't believe my countdown ticker actually says 9 days... wow!

sediment
04-25-2005, 09:20 AM
A radio guide:
For traffic on the one's: KFWB 980 AM.
Alt-Rock: KROQ 106.7 (and Kevin and Bean in the morning -- the rest are chumps).
Play whatever they want: 93.1 JACK. I don't think they have DJs, so there's no crappy banter.
Mark and Brian: 95.5 KLOS, if you're still into that. It's a Disney-owned station.

Or just bring CDs. Most rentals have CD players these days.