PDA

View Full Version : Things you were completely afraid of at DL when you were little.

Pages : [1] 2

Dream Again
04-22-2005, 11:12 PM
My first trip to DL, I was terrified of the characters. I wouldn't go up to them for the life of me. Poor mom. Even now I still get nervous going up to characters :geek: . Probably because when I was born, Fairy Lucinda granted me the "gift" of shyness. I also would NOT go on the HM for years. It didn't help that some woman told me when I was little that people have had heart attacks and died on it :mad:. Roger Rabbit (the ride) terrified me too, as did PoTC, SWSA, and HIStA. Hah, I'm a fraidy cat.

RemainSeatedPlease
04-22-2005, 11:36 PM
Hmm, I was never much of a fraidy cat at d-land, but I remember my cousin amanda being terrified of everything! Indiana Jones,pirates, HM, snow white..anything and everything! She only just now goes on everything with me! But I do believe I disliked the characters...they were just creepy...I think the reason I wasn't afraid of anything was because my cousin was too busy being afraid enough for both of us!

wabby1
04-22-2005, 11:37 PM
I like what Robin Williams said, "I think some little kids go to DL thinking that Mickey's a Mouse. When they get there, they find that he's a 5' rat!" :fez:

I was 13 the first time I visited the park, and I wasn't scared of anything really. As a father, we've taken our kids there periodically throughout their lives, and the first trip taking our kids was in 1991. Our son was almost 5 at the time, and he was scared of most everything, including CAPTAIN EEO! I thought at the time that he was a bit too young for DL, but thank heavens his fear was only temporary.

I now have a 10-year old stepson who'll be visiting the park for the first time in June with us, and he's already announced that he's scared of the "coaster" rides mainly, like California Screamin', but is also hesitant about the Haunted Mansion.

sdfilmcritic
04-22-2005, 11:44 PM
I was chased around my Captain Hook when I was about four years old. My parents, of course, thought it was hilarious.

blueckles
04-22-2005, 11:48 PM
I HATED the floating candlestick in the hall of the HM, as well as the pulsating doors. LOVED the ride (still do), but it was just until very recently that I rode in a buggy all by myself.

msep003
04-23-2005, 12:20 AM
i remember the first time at Disneyland Paris i had 8 years old and i was scared about Phantom Manor and Pirates .

Vegitabeta
04-23-2005, 03:08 AM
When I was 6 in DL i was scared of Jafar because he was so tall!

04-23-2005, 03:39 AM
The pale and corpsy memaids in the Submarine Voyage, floating, floating, floating.

And now that the thing is drained, they float no more.

Whew.

DisneyMelissa
04-23-2005, 05:13 AM
The Abominable Snowman in the Matterhorn terrified me when I was little. I would either chicken out right when we got up to the front of the line, or I would ride with my eyes shut and my hands over my ears when I knew he was coming up.

MsYumiBr
04-23-2005, 05:35 AM
I used to get scared by the screaming ghoul in Haunted Mansion. It still freaks me out when it pops out from behind a gravestone but at least I know which one it is now. They turned off the screaming now, thank goodness. The ride stopped in front of it one time. :(

I also used to get freaked by going itno the whale's mouth at Storybook. It was before the boats when it was a walk through. My poor mom. ;)

rentayenta
04-23-2005, 06:04 AM
The banging door knockers in the Haunted Mansion used to freak me out. They still make me a little uneasy.

Werner
04-23-2005, 06:50 AM
I also used to get freaked by going itno the whale's mouth at Storybook. It was before the boats when it was a walk through. My poor mom. ;)

Ha ha -- me too. My Mom tells the story about how I screamed my head off the first time I rode through Monstro. But hey I don't remember the walk through version. When was that?

Opus1guy
04-23-2005, 06:57 AM
When I was a young man in 1959 and first went on the Disneyland-Alweg Monorail and it started to bank on it's first turn...that scared me and most others who hung on for dear life. Little tykes were crying in terror their first trip. You thought it was gonna tip right off that single narrow rail.

But you have to keep in mind the context of the time when none of us had experienced anything like that. The Monorail was an "E" ticket literally and an "E" ticket experience. It was a thrill ride of it's time for us back then.

Today, with much of the populace having grown up with video games and simulators and roller coasters etc...that's probably hard to imagine. But back then...the Monorail was a thrill.

That's the only attraction that's ever scared me.

CoasterChickie
04-23-2005, 07:06 AM
I was scared that I was going to suffocate on the submarines thanks to my mom!! :rolleyes:

MsYumiBr
04-23-2005, 07:31 AM
Ha ha -- me too. My Mom tells the story about how I screamed my head off the first time I rode through Monstro. But hey I don't remember the walk through version. When was that?

Around 1967.

Wfoxx
04-23-2005, 07:47 AM
Back in 1964, when I was 3. I went on Alice . The part when the dandilion and the tiger lilly jump out at you. It scared me so bad I laid down on the seat and would get up . My mom had to carry me off the ride. I didn't cry just was silent for about an hour afterward. It took me til I was 10 to get on Alice again. My mom still feels bad to this day (41 years later).

tod
04-23-2005, 07:52 AM

Around 1967.

I don't remember that at all, and I was in high school in 1967.

--t
old timer

SCUBAbe
04-23-2005, 07:56 AM
the characters. ..I still don;t like them very much. Laso, all the roller coaster rides. It was because I was so scared I kept my eyes closed. One day I opened my eyes ans SURPRISE the rides were fun....LOL

tod
04-23-2005, 07:57 AM
The room in the old Alice in Wonderland where the Mad Hatter and March Hare popped up scared me to death as a child. I used to have nightmares about it.

Once The Lovely Mrs. tod and I were in the bubble on top of the old Monorails. The Monorails were built to exact tolerances, and when we went to Harbor Boulevard, the Monorail passed directly under the beam for the incoming Monorail, with a clearance of about one inch. Up in the bubble, you see that concrete beam coming right at you, and you instinctively duck, which we did.

We heard a muffled chuckle from the pilot.

"A lot of people duck like that?" I asked.

"Uh-huh."

So from that day forward, The Lovely Mrs. tod and I made it a point to not duck. No matter how scary it looked.

--t

D-lander 1956
04-23-2005, 08:07 AM

This has always been a boat ride. I've got pictures in one of my DL history books with Walt riding the storyland boats. You must be confusing this with something else, maybe the Pirate Ship next to the whale?

By far, the thing that scared me the most, was the huge eyeball in the telescope of Inner Space. And then, the thought of "being shrunk." ;)

tod
04-23-2005, 08:10 AM
By far, the thing that scared me the most, was the huge eyeball in the telescope of Inner Space. And then, the thought of "being shrunk." ;)

That's a microscope. I suppose this makes me a :geek:

--t

Marox3
04-23-2005, 08:57 AM
My father convinced me and my sister that we really shrink in the Monsento ride. :mad:

MsYumiBr
04-23-2005, 09:01 AM
I don't remember that at all, and I was in high school in 1967.

--t
old timer

I have photos, and 8mm transferred to video, and my mom *loved* that whale. We have pictures of her with it in a number of different outfits. :)

kohl
04-23-2005, 09:27 AM
My parents took us to Disneyland about 3 or 4 times when we were little and I would never go on Haunted Mansion. The first time I went on it was with my 4 year old daughter! I have always liked Matterhorn, but would always close my eyes with the snowman

MsYumiBr
04-23-2005, 09:36 AM
Okay. I looked at the photos. My mom was next to it in one picture where it was a walkthrough and another photo was one of us in front of it that had the boats. My parents were together for 10 years before I was born so, I may have been thinking of some other "painted floor" tunnel that I didn't like. But I still don't like the Storybook ride because of that whale. :D