PDA

View Full Version : So... is wearing your AP on a lanyard a bad idea?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mark Mywords
04-22-2005, 09:20 PM
We're going to be going to Disneyland in June for our annual trip. Usually we just get park hoppers, but it turned out that the way our trip is structured this time, purchasing an AP for each of the family members made the most sense (and opened up the possibility of a return trip in fall or spring).

So here's the question...
Usually my wife and I use lanyards for our park hopper tickets. My original idea was to do the same with our AP. But then I read some of the posts over at stupidguesttricks.com regarding CM views on AP. So now I'm wondering, are the lanyards a bad idea? I mean, really, how much of a bad reputation do AP holders have amongst CMs at the park? Would we be treated differently (badly I would assume) if we display the passes by wearing them in lanyards? Would it be wiser to just keep them in my wallet?

HorizonsA
04-22-2005, 09:27 PM
We're going to be going to Disneyland in June for our annual trip. Usually we just get park hoppers, but it turned out that the way our trip is structured this time, purchasing an AP for each of the family members made the most sense (and opened up the possibility of a return trip in fall or spring).

So here's the question...
Usually my wife and I use lanyards for our park hopper tickets. My original idea was to do the same with our AP. But then I read some of the posts over at stupidguesttricks.com regarding CM views on AP. So now I'm wondering, are the lanyards a bad idea? I mean, really, how much of a bad reputation do AP holders have amongst CMs at the park? Would we be treated differently (badly I would assume) if we display the passes by wearing them in lanyards? Would it be wiser to just keep them in my wallet?

Forgive me, but that's stupid. Forget what everybody says. IF you have an AP, be proud of it. If you notice that some CMs are treating you unfairly, then report it. They have no right to treat you any different then people with different tickets. I mean, you don't want show it off and let the world know that you have APs, just wear it around you neck as if it's nothing. I see people do it all the time.

Mark Mywords
04-22-2005, 09:33 PM
Yeah, sure. I know it's stupid and that it shouldn't make a difference. I would certainly hope it wouldn't make a difference. I'm just wondering if anybody out there has had a bad experience that seem to have stemmed from being identified as an AP (and being stereotyped as a jerk because of the few morons who abuse it).

sunfun94
04-22-2005, 09:37 PM
Forgive me, but that's stupid. Forget what everybody says. IF you have an AP, be proud of it. If you notice that some CMs are treating you unfairly, then report it. They have no right to treat you any different then people with different tickets. I mean, you don't want show it off and let the world know that you have APs, just wear it around you neck as if it's nothing. I see people do it all the time.

bingo...

as a former cm (man i miss DL), I can honestly say it was those with AP's that abused the situation, meaning thought they were better than others and deserved to be placed on a higher pedestool. On a normal basis, I loved talking to AP holders...Now being an AP carrier myself, I carry them on my lanyard and it is soooo much more convenient then having to repeatedly get them out of my wallet...I have NEVER been treated unfairly because of wearing them there. and HorizonsA is ABSOLUTLY correct, if you do get treated unfairly, then report them!!! :)

BWthespian
04-22-2005, 09:58 PM
well no offense or anything but most pll who are wearing the lanyards carouse(pardon my spelling)about the park as if they own the place and being defyent towards other ppl and from what ive witnessed,verbally abusing the younger employees(IM A VICTIM) ever been verbally abused by some stuck up house mother,ughh there was so much i couldve done to her to,but it was really crowded ,and knowing how ppl are these days, i probalby would have gotten sued.
and personally,me being a local and all i think they look really dorky lol like when i see guys wearing those hats lol i think yall are very brave and everything but just NO lol ok done ranting, buh byw

sunfun94
04-22-2005, 10:05 PM
well no offense or anything but most pll who are wearing the lanyards carouse(pardon my spelling)about the park as if they own the place and being defyent towards other ppl and form what ive witnessed,verbally abusing the younger employees(IM A VICTIM) ever been verbally abused by some stuck up house mother,ughh there was so much i couldve done to her to,but it was really crowded u know,and ppl these days, i probalby would have gotten sued

Not of all of us strut around I promise! :D ... I am sorry to hear though that you were treated so disrespectfully...I have had that happen so many times (working Fantasmic especially) it really sucks...but remember that there are many of us out there that respect you CM's!!!! :)

BWthespian
04-22-2005, 10:07 PM
sry i didnt mean to say i was a castmeber, what i meant was that as a guest and being 17 ive been a victim of these ppl and how they judge and treat you and stuff.

SilverStyle
04-22-2005, 10:48 PM
I treat everyone fairly esspecially APs. I treat everyone like a VIP, however there are some APs that feel that you own them the world. Not only that, they tell you how to do your job. Most of the time they (good APs) are really nice, and understand when you (CM) are having a problem.

04-23-2005, 03:43 AM
A slightly different perspective: I actually looked for people wearing an AP on a lanyard and purposely struck up conversation. The DL RR was fantastic for that.

You AP holders are Disneyland and DCA connoisseurs. Fly that flag high!

MsYumiBr
04-23-2005, 05:56 AM
well no offense or anything but most pll who are wearing the lanyards carouse(pardon my spelling)about the park as if they own the place and being defyent towards other ppl and from what ive witnessed,verbally abusing the younger employees(IM A VICTIM) ever been verbally abused by some stuck up house mother,ughh there was so much i couldve done to her to,but it was really crowded ,and knowing how ppl are these days, i probalby would have gotten sued.
and personally,me being a local and all i think they look really dorky lol like when i see guys wearing those hats lol i think yall are very brave and everything but just NO lol ok done ranting, buh byw

What do you expect. It's orange county! Home of the *beautiful people*. It would be nice if money could buy tact and personality. That's one of the hardest things I had to overcome when moving here from Northern California. Don't they have anything deeper to talk about than where they buy their clothes or get their hair done?

Why not wear your AP to show that there are locals that are *real*, polite and unassuming. Heck, I don't have an AP anymore (just hasn't seem to be worth it because we stay on property now and we'd get more benefits from vacation packages) but yet wear a Tinkerbell starter lanyard because it's pretty and matches my girls' lanyards. The CMs give me scowls for that but I never ask to trade. I just want something to hold the passes so I don't have to go dig for them every time. The only problem is that the backs the pins come with come off and may lose some of those cool pins you (or your kids in my situation) have spent literally hours picking out. I'm investing in the locking pin backs next trip.

rentayenta
04-23-2005, 06:02 AM
What do you expect. It's orange county! Home of the *beautiful people*. It would be nice if money could buy tact and personality. That's one of the hardest things I had to overcome when moving here from Northern California. Don't they have anything deeper to talk about than where they buy their clothes or get their hair done?

That is a very bold statement. WOW! :(

Crazy4DL
04-23-2005, 06:21 AM
That is a very bold statement. WOW! :(

uh . . . yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Not usually a good idea to just lump everyone from an area into one category!

MsYumiBr
04-23-2005, 06:30 AM
Not *everyone* is like that, of course. Just like not *everyone* from California eats granola. It is one problem I had to overcome when moving down here and having to talk to people at work. Can't they say "How are you doing today" instead of "Wow, that's a nice outfit. Where'd you buy it?" My sister in laws aren't like that and they have lived in OC all their lives. However, it *is* a dominant theme of women in OC. I *should* know. I lived there for years.

rentayenta
04-23-2005, 06:39 AM
^^^I am from Orange County, born and bred. I was there for 24 years before moving to Utah. Interesting.

Werner
04-23-2005, 06:54 AM
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but just what is the purpose of having an AP out on display anyway? When I buy a one-day passport I just stick it in my wallet. I mean, once I'm in the Park, I'm in. It's not like back in the days when the passports _were_ different -- in that they were something special that meant you didn't have to get out your A-E tickets. Just wondering. Thanks!

Disnerd
04-23-2005, 07:07 AM
There was a case once where a creep was able to locate a young single lady via the many internet sites that will sell you personal info like an unlisted phone number. When questioned by the police they discovered that he had just used her name off of her SoCal AP to look her up on one of those sites and began staking her. He had even tailed her out to the parking structure and got her cars plate number and make. I don't think it's a good thing to display your full name for the whole world to see on a lanyard. Just think what could happen to a kid if approached by someone who knows his or her name and their parents last name.

MsYumiBr
04-23-2005, 07:07 AM
In response to the original question, this is not a thread about the common, but not all, Orange County (maybe I should narrow this to Costa Mesa/Irvine) elitists, the lanyard fastpass holder is used for convenience. If you need to whip out the AP to utilize the discounts, keep it in the fastpass holder. If you feel the AP may cause unequal treatment, don't display it. I even hesitated on buying a lanyard until I got tired of trying to remember which pocket I had what in while under a rain poncho and then trying to figure out where I put the hotel key. Nothing (except happy birthday wishes with a birthday button/sticker and congratulatory comments with an honored guest badge) prompts special treatment. But lanyards and APs may prompt scowls from traumatized CMs. Most of the time they are just too busy to notice anyway.

CoasterChickie
04-23-2005, 07:11 AM
The only thing I'd really be worried about is losing it, since I've seen people upset that the ticket/passholder detached from their lanyards. Make sure the plastic is in good shape if you're going to wear it!! :)

RStar
04-23-2005, 07:33 AM
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but just what is the purpose of having an AP out on display anyway? When I buy a one-day passport I just stick it in my wallet. I mean, once I'm in the Park, I'm in. It's not like back in the days when the passports _were_ different -- in that they were something special that meant you didn't have to get out your A-E tickets. Just wondering. Thanks!
Well, getting fastpasses and purchase discounts could be one reason. However, it takes me no less time to pull out my wallet and I have it out for purchases anyway. And as an AP holder, I'm there for a short time on the slower days most of the time and hardly ever use fastpass.

Also, I would love to see a study done to find out if the attitude between APs and regular ticketed people are that different. I never act as though I own the place. I think people are going to act the way their personality is. I don't think a peice of media will change one's personality a great bit.

I love Disneyland, and I try to help people out including CMs while I'm their to help keep Walts dream alive. Heck, I'll even pick up a peice of trash when I see it. That's just my personality. And CMs have a personality (really! ;) ) and if they like their job they will be nice no matter who the guest is.

So if it is really more convienant, wear the lanyard. A CM who looks down on you doesn't belong at the Happiest Place on Earth. But neither does the AP who acts like a tyrant and they should be repremanded (can the AP be taken away for misstreating a CM?).

tod
04-23-2005, 07:48 AM

No.

Why not wear your AP to show that there are locals that are *real*, polite and unassuming. Heck, I don't have an AP anymore (just hasn't seem to be worth it because we stay on property now and we'd get more benefits from vacation packages) but yet wear a Tinkerbell starter lanyard because it's pretty and matches my girls' lanyards. The CMs give me scowls for that but I never ask to trade. I just want something to hold the passes so I don't have to go dig for them every time. The only problem is that the backs the pins come with come off and may lose some of those cool pins you (or your kids in my situation) have spent literally hours picking out. I'm investing in the locking pin backs next trip.

I don't wear my AP for everybody to see because -- unfortunately -- some jerk AP holders ruined it for everybody. I would much rather talk with a CM and then let it drop, casually, that I'm an AP holder and have the CM think "Wow, maybe they aren't all jerks" than walk up with my AP showing and have the CM throw up all the shields and try to make contact through that.

My choice. YMMV.

--t

SCUBAbe
04-23-2005, 07:49 AM

and this is what I do with my AP. It goes in a pocket. It's not a trophy it's a ticket in. I have been treated differently when I use my AP. At first I thought I was being hyper sensitive. the ticket takers at the gate are all smiles and talking to people with regular tickets. I get up there and it's ...scan the pass, no smile, and barely mumble have a good day. One time it was so obvious my daughter noticed. Still I'm thinking ok maybe I looked at her funny her something...on with the day. The big difference came when I renewed my pass. We bought 3 day park hoppers first. When we used those they were sooo nice to us. On Sunday we renewed our APs and when we use those it's the same treatment as before. This is mostly the people who work at the gates scanning tickets. when using them for discounts the CM's are normally nice about it. ...another person with an AP has told me she noticed a difference when she got an AP as well. To me it's not a bog deal, because I see those ticket scanning CM's for all of 10 sec, but some do treat AP holders with barely concealed contempt....and no I'm not going to complain to city hall about it....it's not that big of a deal.

as for people wearing them around their neck. They are often very weird or rude. I have seen some act in the strangest ways in the park. One was trying to do guest control away from their party's scooter doing the 2 finger point and saying stay to the right as they moved through the crowd...it's just sad to see how they act sometimes...and yes they do give all of the AP holders a bad name...now for the other game we play...based on behavior...pot the AP holder...most of the time we don't have to guess if we're right or not because the pass is proudly displayed around their necks. We just have to get close enough to see if we were right...hey it could be fast pass tickets in there...LOL

SCUBAbe
04-23-2005, 07:53 AM
I never act as though I own the place. I think people are going to act the way their personality is. I don't think a peice of media will change one's personality a great bit.

I don't act that way either. We are often asked if it's our first time in the parks...LOL..the attitude of some AP holders is not only the fact that they have an AP...some even own some stock in the company and then feel as if they do own it....yeah...I know...LOL..I own Disney stock as well, but I do NOT feel as if I own any part of the company...LOL

tod
04-23-2005, 08:02 AM
I have been treated differently when I use my AP. At first I thought I was being hyper sensitive. the ticket takers at the gate are all smiles and talking to people with regular tickets. I get up there and it's ...scan the pass, no smile, and barely mumble have a good day. One time it was so obvious my daughter noticed.

I always make it a point to be nice to the ticket takers and the parking lot people. What a lousy job. Smile, say hi, a cheery "Here ya go" as you hand the AP to be scanned.

I usually get a smile in return and a "Hve a nice day."

Then I get ignored by the little drones with the hand-held computers, but that's another story... :rolleyes:

--t

SCUBAbe
04-23-2005, 08:04 AM
Then I get ignored by the little drones with the hand-held computers, but that's another story... :rolleyes:

--t

how do you manage that? I have been stopped so many times to take sueveys. OMG..I MUST look like a total tourist...maybe thats why I always get asked if it's my first time at the park...*sigh*

MsYumiBr
04-23-2005, 08:11 AM
Those survey people with the handheld machines always ask us where we are from. When we say San Diego we get immediately *shunned*. lol. Next time I'm going to say Laytonville!