PDA

View Full Version : Mary Poppins, anyone?

wonderful
01-14-2002, 11:25 PM
Maybe it's just me (and it very well COULD be) but I think i remember Walt mentioning on a television broadcast at the park that "From now on, Mary Poppins will be a part of every celebration here at Disneyland" and down came Mary from the sky, yet...
She doesn't have an attraction...
She doesn't have a show (and Steps in Time doesn't count)...
and she doesn't have a lick of merchandise (save the porceline figurine)...
Not to mention her absence from the Parade of the Stars (oh, just another reason to hate that parade) and she happens to be, by any account, one of Disney's BIGGEST stars!
Heck she doesn't even have a restaurant (she RENTS a room at PP Hotel!) It's shameful!
The music is cool enough, the characters could all get into it, plenty of chance for great dance sequences, the floats could look outstanding (a merry go round and race track, the rooftops of London, a "feed the birds" float with the cathedral, etc.), and it's long overdo... I say give Mary Poppins her own parade! (And bring Bert to the park while you're at it!)
What do you think?

cemeinke
01-14-2002, 11:50 PM
I've actually been very happy to see Mary Poppins out in the park lately. Nothing like having her walk past you with a cheerful "Good Day" or seeing her gently admonish the children to stand up straight for their photos.

I'm all for some more Mary Poppins in the park.

tabacco
01-14-2002, 11:52 PM
And since Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke are still around, they could host a dedication event type of thing. I think it'd be cool.

Now, if only they don't give into the temptation to listen to the bird woman's calls of "all it takes is tuppence." :)

(That happens to be my favorite Disney song of all time :))

Though her words are simple and few,
Listen, listen, she's calling to you:
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag,
Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag."

Nigel2
01-15-2002, 12:38 AM
They said that "MP will be a part of..." on the 10th aniversary show(its on the dvd)
Yeah, she does get the short end of the umbrella, oddly that movie probably has had tons of design sugestions (I can't remember which book it was) and most were either umbrellas or horses.

jslivinski
01-15-2002, 03:29 PM
Slightly off subject, but Mary Poppins will be shown on ABC this Saturday night.

mousey_girl
01-15-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by tabacco

Though her words are simple and few,
Listen, listen, she's calling to you:
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag,
Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag."

grrrrr... a pox on your house ;) I read this post 20 mins ago and the song is STILL in my head!!! again I say grrrrrr ;)

zapppop
01-15-2002, 07:22 PM
A ride may not work well but a stage show would be great.
It would definitely be a hit and a step up from Animazement.

NOTE: althought Mary Poppins is not in 45 Years Of Magic: Parade Of The Stars, the penguins from the movie are in it towards the end.