PDA

View Full Version : Monorail Red!!!

Polar33
01-14-2002, 09:34 PM
I was working in the Small World Mall area today and was more than happy to notice that Monorail Red has returned to the beamways of the Disneyland Monorail System! It was running for at least 6 hours today without any passengers, except for a few monorail CMs in the nose cone. Purple, and Orange were also running today, causing a bit of back up when they hit certain zones. It's good to see that the monorail 'flagship' that is always in the commercials, photos, park maps, even merchandise, is finally back after it's year-long disappearance. Anyone know the specifics on why Red was MIA for so long?

On a side note...the parks are practically empty recently. The longest wait that people were in today was the wait to get Pooh, Eeyore and Tigger's autograph. Last Friday night felt more like a Tuesday than a Friday. Now is definitely the time to visit, bring friends, bring family, bring anybody...it's getting boring with no people to talk to for up to 20 minutes at a time. :sleep:

MonorailMan
01-15-2002, 02:00 AM
I'm very gald to hear that Red is back! Seemed weird on out trip in Dec. to not get a ride on Red.

innerSpaceman
01-15-2002, 06:17 AM
Are we talking classic, old-time, bubble-top Monorail Red? Or simply modern, plain-wrap monorail with red stripe?

tabacco
01-15-2002, 09:31 AM
red stripe :)

Nigel2
01-16-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Are we talking classic, old-time, bubble-top Monorail Red? Or simply modern, plain-wrap monorail with red stripe?

I am pretty sure that those type of monorails aren't even in the "roundhouse" anymore (the one for RR is actualy part of a parade float)

innerSpaceman
01-16-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2

I am pretty sure that those type of monorails aren't even in the "roundhouse" anymore

Maybe they've auctioned it off on e-bay. In any event, I hardly think 'Monorail Red' is a very good descriptive name for a white monorail with a thin red stripe, especially when that name has already been taken for a classic monorail that was almost entirely red.

Nigel2
01-16-2002, 10:33 PM
Well monorail soda straw (think about that one:D ) would sound too wierd. But speaking of auctions, they sold some part from Journey into imagination. It was the blimp, minus the air bag part (I think thats what it said). They are also selling junk and art from Jones and star tours (Wow 50 bucks for a photo copy, sign me up:D)

bluepearl
01-16-2002, 11:09 PM
My friend and I rode one of the Monorails today - and noticed that the one with the Red stripe wasn't loading any passengers. I had no idea that it wasn't used for a year, and we were wondering why it wasn't loading passengers at all.

And as for the crowds, we were there on a Wednesday afternoon and DCA was practically deserted! I know that's basically expected, but it was absolutely quiet. And Disneyland was incredibly tolerable with almost non-existent lines! The longest wait was for the Matterhorn, but that was because they closed one side off at 7:15PM. I loved it!

Nigel2
01-17-2002, 12:38 AM
Mabey I am not noticing this but... Is it just me or do they only use the same monorails day in and day out? Woudln't it be wiser to use all the monorails (not at the same time:D) but rotate them daily?

tabacco
01-17-2002, 12:51 AM
Well, there are only 4. On a crowded day this summer they'd have blue, orange, and purple all out on the beam. Red, of course, was not because it was undergoing serious work in the barn. On less crowded days they'd usually leave blue out because from what I gather blue has occasional trouble with the door release mechanism (causing them to not always open automatically when they ought to).

Hades
01-17-2002, 05:48 PM
Just a note on the old Monorail Red. It is still in service, of sorts. After it was retired from the beam, it was sent to a company that makes limosines. The front car (the one with the bubble) was slightly shortened and joined with the end cone from the last car. It is now called "Mouserail One" and is sometimes used on promotional events across the United States.

I happened to come upon it on the 60 freeway once. Quite a site! One of the little details on it are it's rear view mirrors. They are shaped like... you guessed it! Mouse icons! It is usually kept in storage in the parade floats building at DL, but I haven't been back there recently. I'm sure some of the older CMs know of what I am talking about.

As to the fate of the other monorails of the original fleet, I'm affraid I can't shed any light on them. :cool:

tabacco
01-22-2002, 12:51 AM
Thought I'd post some quick pictorial evidence from westcoaster:

http://www.westcoaster.net/images/updates/011802/011802-dlr020-lrg.jpg

Looks like there're guests aboard, too!

tinkfreak
01-23-2002, 09:26 PM
Okay, I overhear lots of stuff, so my info may not be entirely correct. It is however, what I heard.

I dont know a thing about the old Monorail Red although I wish it was still in service.

I heard tale that the current Monorail Red was being prepped for some type of new system and was far more advanced than any of it's brothers and sisters. It was so advanced, in fact that most of the CM's and managers had no training on how to operate it or "bring it online".

A few days ago I overheard the following: It seems all of the CM's now in the Monorail rotation had to undergo and be signed off on training for it. Over the weekend Red had exceded the speed limit several times. Even though the train has a governer there is some kind of computer glitch nobody knows how to fix.

Needless to say, I will be bypassing all other Monorails from now on until I get a ride on this one! I've always wanted to go tearing around the track at 70mph!

I know, I know. If they're not letting guests on now they probably won't until the beautiful glitch is fixed. :crying:

bluepearl
01-23-2002, 09:36 PM
Today I was at the park around 4PM and noticed that the Monorail with the red stripe was filled with a few people. Thought it was interesting, as the last two times I saw it, it was empty.

Not Afraid
01-23-2002, 10:39 PM
We rode Monorail on Sunday from DTD into the Park. We were trying to get to the meet at 3:00 and were running into lots and lots of traffic. Fej called to say that the front gate was all backed up so we took the Monorail in. Monorail Red!

I knew it had been off line for a while, so I was very excited to ride it. Exactly why, I'm not sure. One of the privilages of being a Disney nut I guess.

I didn't notice anything different about the train or the journey except that Captain Bob did a Jungle Cruise style interaction with the recorded script. CB: "And what do we have on our left?" Script: "On the left is Fantasyland....." Very, very funny.

There may be differences in Monorail Red that I didn't notice since I don't know all of the details of that attraction. We'll see if its running tomorrow or Friday.

jslivinski
02-01-2002, 01:12 PM
There is something very wrong about being excited about Monorail Red coming out of the barn. But I'm just so happy
:D that it doesn't matter.

P.S. My son is almost as happy as I am. My husband thinks we're both nuts.:p

Polar33
02-02-2002, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by jslivinski
There is something very wrong about being excited about Monorail Red coming out of the barn. But I'm just so happy
:D that it doesn't matter.

P.S. My son is almost as happy as I am. My husband thinks we're both nuts.:p

:eek: It's a perfectly good and healthy obsession! And is much cheaper than any Disneyland obsession that involves the words "collecting", "trading", or "Dole". Besides...If Disneyland didn't have people that are so happy that they are boarderline on "nuts"...It would kinda feal like Knots. ;)

2CN
02-02-2002, 11:15 AM
I got to ride on Monorail Red last night... when I saw that was the one we were going to be on, I started poking my friend and saying "We're gonna get to ride on Monorail red..." and just going on about that it hadnt been out for a while... she thought I was nuts for being all happy about this- along with being such a nut about the resort..lol.