PDA

View Full Version : Is Fastpass-collecting while my girlfriend is in line for another ride wrong?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Pureevents
04-21-2005, 10:56 PM
I had plans to collect Fastpasses for both my girlfriend and I for an attraction, while she waits in line for another ride. After collecting the passes I planned to join her in line.
Do you all think that this is

A)wrong
b)Unethical
C)None of the Above

I never really thought of it as wrong or unethical, until I thought of the people I would be cutting in front of. I think the main group this would affect would be little kids with single parents.
In my mind, if a family went in line for a ride and one of the parents (probably the dad), went and collected fastpasses for other ride, it wouldn't really be wrong.
Yet I do feel really bad if it's a single parent with a little kid. I know I wouldn't leave my little one behind while I ran to collect passes.
That's why I ask all of you magical and wonderful people...what do you all think? Am i Evil if I do so? Or is normal , and good strategy?

charpaul
04-21-2005, 11:06 PM
IMO - I think it is ok to do this.
I think this is something a lot of people do. I have done it myself. When I do this, I ALWAYS let the people in front of me AND the people directly behind me that I am expecting someone else to join me soon. (I don't tell them that they are getting a fastpass.) I have had this conversation in line with many people. They seem to feel that it is ok as long as it is only one ( or maybe two) people who are going to join me in the line. The feeling is quite different if there is a parade of people moving up in front of you to catch up with their party.

sdfilmcritic
04-21-2005, 11:11 PM
I don't see anything wrong with this at all. It's being smart, I think.

stinkerbell
04-21-2005, 11:31 PM
I'm all for it! Sounds like a good plan to me.

I've been told before that it's unfair when you have a group and one or two people stand in line, and then are joined mid-line by the rest of their party. I've never thought it was rude....especially if it's a family. If it's twenty people, sure, it's rude, but I'll stand in line while my husband takes the kids to the bathroom or he'll go grab fastpasses. I've never thought anything of it.

evrythngwmn
04-22-2005, 12:31 AM
We haven't done this for fastpass but if we're getting in a long line some of us will get in line while someone else gets snacks to eat in line. What bothers me is when I've waited in a half hour or so line and we're almost to the front and someone joins their group at that point. That to me says they weren't off doing something like fastpass or bathroom trips but probably riding another ride. That's rude.

bradk
04-22-2005, 12:50 AM
I guess if DLR policy allows for it, it's okay. i mean, what can ya do? I do know Six Flags policy prohibits people from doing that, but I think it has to do a lot with the design of the queue and the inconvenience it causes everyone when someone else in the party comes charging through the line. it's happened tho, but mostly with kids, so i don't think anyone could mind.

that sort of thing happens everywhere where you have to be in a line anyway, so i think it might be an annoyance for people behind you, but it's hard for anyone to be unreasonable enough to complain about it.

sdfilmcritic
04-22-2005, 12:53 AM
it's happened tho, but mostly with kids, so i don't think anyone could mind.Do you mean at DLR or Six Flags that this mostly happens? I've seen just as many adults cut in line as I see the kids do when I'm in line for a ride at DLR. And I've seen a couple of very disgruntled guests who do mind the line cutters.

bradk
04-22-2005, 12:56 AM
i've seen it happen at six flags (whose policy explicitly prohibits it). i'm sure i'll see it happen at DLR too.

Tutter
04-22-2005, 02:38 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with it, and I'd certainly have no problems with your girlfriend standing in front of me in a queue and then you joining her but..... (there had to be a but)

...the queues for getting a fastpass are never long and so it might take say 2 minutes. So you would be missing out on simply spending more time together, maybe seeing something you want to share with each other out of the blue, otherwise it sounds a bit rushed.

Crazy4DL
04-22-2005, 02:55 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with it, and I'd certainly have no problems with your girlfriend standing in front of me in a queue and then you joining her but..... (there had to be a but)

...the queues for getting a fastpass are never long and so it might take say 2 minutes. So you would be missing out on simply spending more time together, maybe seeing something you want to share with each other out of the blue, otherwise it sounds a bit rushed.

I'm with you Tutter, it sometimes seems like the goal is to race around the park, frantically riding as many rides as one can, rather than enjoying each others company while enjoying the Happiest Place on Earth. :)

sdfilmcritic
04-22-2005, 02:57 AM
I'm with you Tutter, it sometimes seems like the goal is to race around the park, frantically riding as many rides as one can, rather than enjoying each others company while enjoying the Happiest Place on Earth. :)Very true, guys. Very true. Disney said it himself about wanting DL to be a place to spend time with those who are close to you.

Colin
04-22-2005, 03:19 AM
Maybe this is a european point of view on this, but I would personally still consider this as Queue Jumping? I have to admit when I originally read the initial post I was expecting to see a lot of negative responses, maybe this is a situation where Europeans and Americans differ? I have moaned at people at DLP for doing this (not specifically fast pass, just in general) and I know many others who have done the same! Mind you in DLP Queue jumping is quite prevailant (and when you shout at a french person in English they just laugh at you LOL)

Not meant as Argumentative, just a different point of view :)

C°o°lin

sdfilmcritic
04-22-2005, 03:24 AM
Well, I'm an American and I get more peeved at the person standing behind me in line who doesn't give me some space and insists on bumping into me everytime the line moves forward a little bit and then comes to a stop. Or even worse -- standing in line behind a person with terrible BO and they forgot to use deodarant that day. (I've recently dealt with one of those BO people. Gut wrenching I tell you!)

DisneylandForever
04-22-2005, 05:06 AM
The answer is C.

This isn't even close to being wrong. People do it all the time. Last trip when everybody was waiting for the Electrical Parade to start, I grabbed their passes and got everybody a FastPass for ToT. That's what FastPasses are for. So you can do other things. If one of those things is going on other rides, all the better! Of course, they (Disney) prefer you to be in a shop. :p

SCUBAbe
04-22-2005, 05:39 AM
Do you mean at DLR or Six Flags that this mostly happens? I've seen just as many adults cut in line as I see the kids do when I'm in line for a ride at DLR. And I've seen a couple of very disgruntled guests who do mind the line cutters.

that would be me...it irritates the heck out of me. Some of the queue areas are so small and to have people squeeze by is just annoying. I have been known to block the way. I have also been known to give my two cents on the matter if they insist on going forward. Why do people do this agagin? The above reason seems weak to me.

SCUBAbe
04-22-2005, 05:43 AM
The answer is C.

This isn't even close to being wrong. People do it all the time. Last trip when everybody was waiting for the Electrical Parade to start, I grabbed their passes and got everybody a FastPass for ToT. That's what FastPasses are for. So you can do other things. If one of those things is going on other rides, all the better! Of course, they (Disney) prefer you to be in a shop. :p

the difference being that is a parade and you can easily find them agagin. You are not going through an entire line with, "excuse me...my party's up there...excuse me...oh sorry...excuse..." all the way to the front or where the party is. No matter how pretty you paint it, thats cutting and it's rude!

DisneylandForever
04-22-2005, 05:53 AM
the difference being that is a parade and you can easily find them agagin. You are not going through an entire line with, "excuse me...my party's up there...excuse me...oh sorry...excuse..." all the way to the front or where the party is. No matter how pretty you paint it, thats cutting and it's rude!

It depends on the ride. If it's a ride like the Matterhorn, it's easy. Just go to the exit and tell the CM "my party's right there." Big Thunder is easy too cuz it has a wide line. But with rides like the queue inside Space Mountain, I see your point. But if your party is that far ahead, like I said you could always go in through the exit and tell the loading CM. Some people do leave the line for other reasons and have to come back. People were going to the bathroom long before FastPasses. :p

And no offense Scuba Babe, but if you were to attempt to "block my way," I'm pretty sure I could still get by. ;)

tstan70
04-22-2005, 06:00 AM
First of all, I think it is better to stick together - If you want to run all over the park collecting fastpasses, then go for it.

It drives me crazy when I am with my family getting close to the ride in a long line when a bunch of people start moving up through the line to meet up with their friends/family.

My wife and I have this ongoing battle where she will ask me to park the stroller while she takes the kids in the line and wants me to "catch up" to them in line. I absolutely hate doing that as I see it as being rude to those that you pass by. We now park the stroller together and go to the line together so we aren't rude to others that wait in line.

Disneynerd
04-22-2005, 06:30 AM
Yup, it's wrong. I'm surprised more people don't agree. It's not fair to others. I guarentee you are getting dirty looks when you do this and spoiling someone else's happy day.

hlbtimes2
04-22-2005, 06:34 AM
I dont have a problem with it. But, in my mind, I picture you quickly getting a FP in the area you are already in, so you would be catching up with the rest of you party quickly. There probably wouldnt be very many people in line between you and them. If you are trying to make it to the other side of the park and back, and get in the front of the line, than I would say its not nice.

The last time we went we were a party of 7. Three of the people we in there 60's and 70's. My husband, the older people and our kids would head toward a ride. I would gather fast passes for all of us. I would then catch up with them. Gathering FP if quick enough that I would usually catch up with them before they made it to the next attraction.

sdfilmcritic
04-22-2005, 06:36 AM
Yup, it's wrong. I'm surprised more people don't agree. It's not fair to others. I guarentee you are getting dirty looks when you do this and spoiling someone else's happy day.Well, it can get annerving (is that a word?) when a large group of people do it, but if it's a small number, like four or less, then I personally don't care.

jon80flt
04-22-2005, 06:45 AM
I thought the point of Fastpass was to help streamline your visit... division of labor is another excellent way to be efficient with your time... therefore, I think if one person goes to get fastpasses while the other waits in line with the kids is totally fine, and even tacitly(sp?) approved by Disneyland... otherwise, there wouldn't even be fastpasses available.

I agree, however, it should only be one or two people that are cutting the line... not a herd of people! :D

Jon

JeffG
04-22-2005, 06:59 AM
Count me as another that finds it highly irritating when someone starts shoving their way through a line trying to join his/her party. I'm definitely of the belief that it is correct to wait until everyone is together before entering the queue.

This whole strategy also strikes me as exceptionally pointless. As someone else pointed out, getting a Fastpass rarely takes more than 2 or 3 minutes. Basically, you are inconveniencing other guests without really gaining much of anything.

-Jeff

MsYumiBr
04-22-2005, 07:04 AM
I think one person makes no difference when they are meeting their significant other or ride partner. It just makes sense when a two seater ride is just going to hold that other person in the same seat. But, when they are so rude as to take up two two seaters so they can each go solo after cutting in line irritates me. That's just plain rude. Can mom's get their place back in line because their four year old "has to go potty"? Nope. Sometimes it's okay, sometimes not IMHO. I think with the crowds people will get overly grumpy and it's not a wise idea. Of course I get annoyed with the control freak party/family leaders who think the only people in the park are the people in their party.

Elways way
04-22-2005, 07:10 AM
Here's one vote for it being totally wrong. There is nothing more frustrating than waiting in line and having people "cut" in line. Regardless of how you look at it.....the fact of the matter is that is "cutting" in line. If everybody had someone hold their place in line (or worse a couple of people's place) the waits would be ridiculous....regardless of what the boards set.

I understad the intent but I think it is totally unfair to those people that have been standing patiently in line.

Beware!!! On a hot day some frustrated park guests do not take well to people "cutting" in line while they bake in the sun (especially if it keeps happening).