PDA

View Full Version : Ride the shuttle or park in garage?

beaver state rich
04-21-2005, 04:48 PM
Howdy all, my folks and wife and I will be taking my daughter to DL during the week of May 10th for her 4th B-day. My father is a disabled vet and has issues with walking for long distances. My question is, from the HoJo, is it better to take the ART shuttle ($3 X 5 people), or drive to the parking lot and pay the $10 a day parking fee. $$ is really not the issue, my concern is what will be easier at the end of the day.

Also, when is the last shuttle of the day? Do we have to really rush to get to it at closing?

Does the shuttle run all day? I think the little one (and Grandpa, heck Dad too) will need an afternoon nap. If it doesn't run all day is the parking garage fee good all day? Or is it pay every time you enter?

Thanks for your help

Hawaiian Cinderella
04-21-2005, 05:08 PM
I believe the parking garage is pay as you enter...no in and out privilages.

cstephens
04-21-2005, 05:11 PM
Actually, for the parking garage, you do get in and out privileges as long as you show your receipt. At least that's what it used to be, and I don't recall hearing that the rules have changed.

Niwel
04-21-2005, 05:22 PM
Just keep your parking ticket and you can go in and out all day...
If you do park at Mickey and friends and your dad has a handicap tag, make sure to display it -- each level has a handicap parking area.
End of the day -- I know the DL trams run constantly.

According to the ART Web site (http://www.anaheimresorttransit.com):
During peak periods or special events, 10-minute frequency services early morning and evening high-demand periods. Non-peak periods are serviced with 20-minute frequency and a mid-day service break is taken from approximately 1 - 2 p.m. You'd be on Route B and (it looks like) are the first to be dropped off and last to be picked up.

Hope that helps....

teach
04-21-2005, 05:25 PM
Our last trip, we parked in the lot and did have in and out privileges. But we found that the time it took to get to the lot, park the car, walk to the tram, wait for the tram, ride the tram, and then make our way to the gate; it took a huge amount of time. On average, it was over 40 minutes. On our last day, we took the ART, and it was actually much faster, down to about 20 minutes (including a few minutes wait). We were at the Holiday Inn by the Park, which is actually on the same route as HoJo.

Emma
04-21-2005, 05:27 PM
I would take ART. The parking tram/garage is such a pain in the butt.

--Emma

charpaul
04-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Does dad have a Handicap Parking Placard??
If so - bring it with you!!
I would recommend the parking garage. It has been better for me and my friends.

Hawaiian Cinderella
04-21-2005, 05:29 PM
dang...i should of consulted you guys before our last trip!!!! we just assumed there were no in and out privilages and didn't bother to ask...thus we thought once we parked we were stuck there so ended up spending 12+ hours there a day...

jennia
04-21-2005, 05:43 PM
Definitely you are allowed in and out of the garage WITH your receipt. I can't address the HoJo vs tram issue as far as proximity but I will say that I have found that the closest place to park in Micky and Friends is to ask for Pinnochio when you pay for your parking. Then you exit the parking structure and park right next to the tramway with all the RVs. DH and I both have mobility issues and this discovery saves us some wear and tear before we get to the park. Once you get to the tramway, you have the option of the handicapped vehicle which will let you load a wheelchair without transfer or the tram which lets you load without transfer. If he is able to transfer we find it fastest to hop on the tram, transfer to the bench seat and just lock up the wheels of the chair unless the handicapped vehicle is sitting there waiting/ loading.

Darkbeer
04-21-2005, 06:53 PM
I vote for the ART tram from HoJo's.... First off, kids are free on the ART :)

But all ART trams are wheelchair accessable, and will take you from the lobby of the HoJo's to the Main Entry Plaza quick and easy...

If you take your car, you have to get everyone in the car, drive it to the parking structure, then either park in the structure, usually on the 1st level, or in the Pinocchio's lot (which is usually better). You then have to unload the car, and if you are sent to an upper level, take an elevator down to the first floor (which usually has a wait of a couple of elevators), then go to the trams (or special van), the walk from the lower level (Chip n' Dale) is fairly long, especially for folks that need assistance.

You then take the tram/van to Downtown DIsney...

As mentioned before, the ART is a lot quicker....

beaver state rich
04-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Thanks for all the help. Dad can walk, in fact he can even stand still for a while, his knees are the problem and it is the act of walking that is the issue. He says that as long as a line is not more than an hour he should be O.K. He does have what he lovenly calls his "gimp pass" no disrespect intended. However the ART if it is less hassle sounds like the way to go. If I read the schedule correct it is only down for 1 hr a day between 1 & 2 pm? That sounds like it will work just fine for taking the "Princess" back for a break and nap. Once again thanks for the advice.

P.S. is it true that it is the worlds largest parking structure? I might have to park there one day just to see this beast.

Hawaiian Cinderella
04-22-2005, 10:56 AM
P.S. is it true that it is the worlds largest parking structure? I might have to park there one day just to see this beast.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was the largest parking structure but the tram operator told us it was the 2nd largest.... :confused: ...it is REALLY HUGE...but they are sooo efficient on directing traffic and it was well planned...we were saying that Hawaii should take some lessons from them. When we have a football game at Aloha Stadium, the traffic is horrendous all the way down the freeway and the people working there are clueless and don't direct everyone to fill in every stall in order....anyhow..sorry to get off subject.....when we parked at the Mickey and Friend's once the tram operator was soooo funny...one witty thing he said when he was taking us back...REMEMBER THE SPEED LIMIT IN THE STRUCTURE IS 15 MPH NOT 51 MPH...

bradk
04-22-2005, 11:01 AM
i'm guessing #1 is considered the parking structure at TDL oddly enough.

itig
04-22-2005, 02:39 PM
One tactic we have used is to divide and conquer...my wife takes the double stroller and walks it to the little 15 minute parking lot at the entrance (can't remember the name right now - Pumba?). I run to the Mickey garage and get the car on my own and drive around to pick them up. This way we don't have to wait for the tram and in the long stroller line, although this may not be an issue with the special access loading area. I just hop into the first open seat and go. It also saves us the time of having to wait for the elevator. We've done this for both arriving and departing and it seems to save us time and hassle. I know your situation isn't exactly the same, but the tram experience can be somewhat annoying and long and we like to avoid all the loading and unloading.