PDA

View Full Version : Disney Class Project! :D

kristen
04-21-2005, 08:31 AM
Hey y'all, as you might know, I'm still in high school, so yup, I have another school project, but this one is really cool! We have to figure out something that had anykind of affect on American culture, and guess what I picked...Disneyland!! Yay! I'm tired and bored, which is probably why writing might writing might sound funny...anyway, I am doing some fun research, but I realized that I have a pretty great source that I was forgeting--you guys! If you have any books or web sites to recommend, I'd love to hear them!! Thank you so much, and no worries, I will be doing my own research, I was just prayin for some resources! Thanks again, God bless y'all and have a great weekend! In His love, kristen :D

Terri
04-21-2005, 08:35 AM
I love research! And what a great topic, too!

Check out old travel guides to the park (like Frommers, etc) and see how they have changed over the decades. Way, way, back when, travel guides would only donate a page or two to the park - now they have entire books!

Another cool book is the "Disneyland Detective." It has some great old stories and talks about movie props, etc. It also tells you all about the names on the windows all over the park - who they are and why they get a window.

Have fun! :p

stan4d_steph
04-21-2005, 09:07 AM
If you can find a copy: Disneyland the Nickel Tour: a Postcard Journey Through 40 Years of the Happiest Place on Earth.
by Mumford, David; Gordon, Bruce. Excellent resource, but hard to find.

You might also check out David Koenig's MouseTales books.

Just go to your library and do a book search on Disneyland History and see what comes up.

SeansMom
04-21-2005, 11:48 AM
If want to throw in a twist, you can look at the "dark" side of Disneyland. I have a cousin who won't buy anything Disney or go to Disney parks due to some political issues. Obviously, most here aren't inclined to look at that, but could put an interesting twist in your paper. Here's one piece I found doing a broad google search on sweatshop and disney...
Controversy about Kathie Lee Gifford's clothing line has thrown harsh light on a TV star accused of profiting from labor at sweatshops. While Gifford takes the heat, the conglomerate that owns her show -- the Walt Disney Co. appears cool and above the fray. But that's not fair.
Disquieting facts about Gifford's commercial ventures have surfaced in recent weeks. Some of the clothes with her name on the label came from a Honduran factory with girls as young as 12 working in abysmal conditions. Other Kathie Lee garments hail from a Manhattan sweatshop where even the paltry wages for adults went unpaid.

These revelations are painful for Gifford, who co-hosts the hugely successful "Live With Regis & Kathie Lee" program. Meanwhile, in private, Disney executives worry that news media might get around to widening the story. Their nightmare echoes the famous Mouseketeer tune ("Who's the leader of the club...")with a present-day version: "Who's the firm with sweatshops that make clothes for you and me? D-I-S...N-E-Y..."
(It doesn't stop me from loving Disneyland, but it does make one think!)
Good luck with your paper.

smd4
04-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Designing Disney's Theme Parks: The Architecture of Reassurance, edited by Karal Ann Marling, arguably offers one of the best discussion of the cultural effect Disneyland has had on America. You can find it on Amazon, or maybe your library.

Dream Again
04-21-2005, 01:35 PM
Can you include pictures? You can go on google images and type in something like "1950's Disneyland" or something like that.

tinkluver
04-21-2005, 03:43 PM
See if this page has anything you can use... http://www.dldhistory.com/
Hope it helps :)

lazyboy97O
04-21-2005, 03:55 PM
That's really cool. last year in U.S. History we had to do a research paper on something from post-World War II American history. I did Disneyland. M teacher laughed when I forst told her. I used Disneyland: Inside Story, another Disney coffee table book that Barnes & Noble seemed to have a bunch of, Ultimate Disney Guide maybe? I also used a lot of statistical data such as number of parks since Disneyland, and attendance to show its impact. Last years Comcast buy out bid seemed to cause a lot of business sites to publish articles on the Disney parks.

kristen
04-21-2005, 07:59 PM
you guys ROCK!!!! Thanks for everything!!!!!!! : D my paper should be awesome thanks to all this!! God bless y'all!!!

RemainSeatedPlease
04-21-2005, 08:08 PM
DUDE! Kristen, I have this exact same assignment!!! ..but my teacher would not let me do Walt or disneyland because she says she is sick of reading walt papers...she is so mean!!!! I'am glad you get to do d-land though!..are you a junior?

RemainSeatedPlease
04-21-2005, 08:15 PM
An American Original (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0786860278/ref=pd_sim_b_1/103-0007347-7099037?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance) book on walt is a great book, i'm sure it would be very very very helpful! :D

Chadsgal
04-21-2005, 10:05 PM
The best grade I ever recieved in High school was a report I did on Walt! I used Disney AtoZ for some odd facts and a show called the Disneyland Story, it came out in the early 90's I think. Good Luck it was the only paper I enjoied writting. :D

kristen
04-22-2005, 04:59 PM
DUDE! Kristen, I have this exact same assignment!!! ..but my teacher would not let me do Walt or disneyland because she says she is sick of reading walt papers...she is so mean!!!! I'am glad you get to do d-land though!..are you a junior?
Ouch! So sorry! Well, I'll try to make mine really good in honor of the cruel denial you recieved...lol, thanks foor the sources, yup, I'm a junior (you?), so close to college, yet so far, which is great and not so great all at the same time. Thank you all, you guys are fabulous fanatics! (it's true, we're all fanatics here, cause "fan" is short for fanatic and let's all face it, we all call ourselves disney fans!) We are too cool...So yay for us! OK, gotta get some cool stuff at disneyland like tshirts and stuff, we'll see, o, yeah, this thread is about homework....oops, have a great day y'all!!