PDA

View Full Version : Early summer vs. late summer

ae's mom
01-14-2002, 11:03 AM
I will be going to DLR this summer. I usually go during the "off season" but my brother, my son and I are going this summer. We know it will be very busy, but I would just like to know if early summer is better than just before Labor Day? Does it really make a difference? We are going for 3 or 4 days during the week. Also, any additional summer tips will be appreciated! Thanks for the info.

Ghoulish Delight
01-14-2002, 12:25 PM
Really, anything after Spring Break is going to be pretty bad. If there's no way to wait until after Labor Day, I'd guess early summer would be best. And as long as it'll be weekdays, not weekends, you'll come out pretty unscathed.

My best summer tip...if they do it again...is the fruit platter. Best lunch in the park. I haven't seen it in a while, but I figure it's only a summer thing. There's an ODV fruit cart by the canoe entrance. Last summer they had a $5 fruit plate that came with 2 small muffins and a bunch of fruit. It was enough food to split as a big snack between 3 of us (including 2 twenty-something eating machines), and would make a good light lunch lunch for 2. And, as is always the case in the park, the fruit was fresh, juicy and sweet. Exactly what's called for on a hot Anaheim summer day.

mad4mky
01-14-2002, 12:41 PM
If I were you, I'd opt for early summer. Not only is it not as hot...it seems as though everyone and their dog rushes in August to get those family trips in before school starts again. And in August...it can be VERY hot...especially standing in lines.

Drink lots of water. If you can, bring it into the park. Buying water and sodas can add up very quickly. They are quite pricey in the park. If you have little ones with you, bring your own baggies of snacks to keep the little ones happy as you wait in lines, or travel to and from places. Food lines tend to get long...so eat early for lunch(before 11:30 am) or later (around 1:15 or later).

If you could...wait until October to go. Less crowds...beautiful weather. We usually go every May and October. (course, this year we skipped October to go in December).

Oh, and if you go during the summer...try and take a break by going back to your hotel/motel for a refreshing swim and maybe a nap. You'll feel much better when you do...and be ready for more of the park.

Ghoulish Delight
01-14-2002, 01:17 PM
Yes, taking hotel breaks is definitely called for. Especially since you'll have 3-4 days. If I were you, use the first couple days for the rides. Save as many of the shows as you can for the last day when your energy is the lowest. Then you can just spend the day revisiting your few favorite rides with lots of breaks sitting in air-conditioned theaters.

Fastpass can be your friend, but if you find that you don't master it immediately, don't bother. It takes a lot of extra forethough and planning for it to be effective on a crowded day, and I'm sure with kids in tow, the likelihood of any sort of planned schedule materializing is slim and none. So don't let running acoss the park to meet a Fastpass schedule be an added stress. But if you are good at time management, don't let me scare you away from it. Done right, it is by far the most efficient way to get stuff done.

tjrj
01-14-2002, 01:47 PM
If summer is the only choice-early summer-late May(my kids get out of school before Memorial Day) to early June. As mentioned above, water is a must-so are sunglasses and hats. I truly believe in getting to the Parks as early as possible in the day-crowds are smaller, temps. are cooler-and returning to the hotel mid-day for a break-then going back in the evening. When we don't take our breaks everybody is more cranky-not just the kids-but me and my hubby too.

Ace
01-14-2002, 03:18 PM
STANK!!!!! my birthday is in august...... when can I go to Disneyland???? someone give me ideas!

Ace
01-14-2002, 04:08 PM
I am the master of line-avoiding and fastpass-getting. I hate to wait, like most people, if I have a choice, but it's better, if you're there on a crowded day, to just accept the lines and deal. remember, you can always use a fast pass after the window... for example, a 3:00 to 4:00 fastpass can be used any time after four. It's not a written rule, but it is a rule. This means that you should get a fastpass whenever you can, since it doesn't limit where you can go and what you can do if you don't have to be back there by set time.

Not Afraid
01-14-2002, 06:08 PM
The busiest day we had at DL last year (except New Year's Eve) was Wednesday, June 20th. Early summer, mid-week, and incredibly crowded.

I think that school had just gotten out and everyone local descended on the park as well as early vacationers. My poor niece and family from Colorado didn't get a chance to do as much as they would've liked. From then on the crowds never matched that day (and we visit the park 1-2Xs a week).

Also, it was also hot and humid that day, untypical for early June.

My suggestion would be to pace yourself and use fastpass accordingly. Our strategy for FP is to get one then, when the time window passes get another FP before you even do the 1st FP ride, etc. etc. (Make sense?) On a hot day, Splash will have the most delayed FP and will be the first to stop distributing FPs. Probably Indy is #2.

Buy one of those sport water bottles and refill it as needed at one of the restaurants. You can get a convenient lanyard for your drink bottle at the ODV carts - just don't leave it on Indy (like we did on Sunday:( ) We never buy sodas only the occasional Mocha, Hot Chocolate or Mint Julep. Water is the key.

Ghoulish Delight
01-14-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
just don't leave it on Indy (like we did on Sunday:( )

Shoot, sorry about that. Clearly you were too awestruck by our presence to pay mind to such trivial things as water bottle straps.

ae's mom
01-15-2002, 08:14 AM
Thank you everyone for your input. Since we aren't going until summer, please feel free to keep the wonderful tips coming!!! You are all so helpful....I appreciate it so much!!

donkthemagicllama
01-15-2002, 08:27 AM
My girlfriend and I are planning on going in early May. We went to WDW at this time last year, and had very little crowds. Can we expect the same at DLR?