PDA

View Full Version : Splash Mountain closed as of tomorrow (4/20/05)

Pages : [1] 2

HorizonsA
04-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Critter Country will be dead starting tomorrow. It is listed that tomorrow the 21, Splash Mountain will be closed. I'm kind of glad, maybe they'll fix the problems that they're having. I think they should've just kept the logs the way they were. They're only seating five people in a log as of now anyway. Oh well. May it only be closed for a short time. They should have kept the old logs rather than destroying them because you never know if situations like these will happen.

ima_mickeyfan
04-20-2005, 04:09 PM
that is exactly what I said yesterday bout keeping the logs.

Yesterdays post:
It doesn't seem fair. it's like telling my oldest, sorry honey it's your birthday, but your little brother is getting all the gifts! what's up with that? I think alot of it has to do with Disneyland being such a small park, but that is no excuse for DL not to have every ride up and running with out refurbishment during the celebration, not to mention the new logs on SP that can't even be used to the full potential because they jam up, who was the tard that thought of burning or disposing the old logs before they were absolutly sure that the new ones were going to be perfect for the ride? personally I like the old ones better! JMO!
the only thing we can do is keep our fingers crossed and see what DL gets for WDW's birthday.

kimbopotamus
04-20-2005, 04:33 PM
"It is listed that tomorrow the 21, Splash Mountain will be closed."

HorizonsA, I am not discrediting your knowledge and information at all, but where is it listed? I just want to know for certain, as I will be there the 28th and 29th and will need to remove this ride from my itinerary if it is closed. Darn! Shucks! Poo doo! Argghh!

Poster_SF
04-20-2005, 04:41 PM
"It is listed that tomorrow the 21, Splash Mountain will be closed."

Yes, it isn't on DL.com?

HorizonsA, I am not discrediting your knowledge and information at all, but where is it listed? I just want to know for certain, as I will be there the 28th and 29th and will need to remove this ride from my itinerary if it is closed. Darn! Shucks! Poo doo! Argghh!

Yes, it isn't on DL.com?

Poster_SF
04-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Yes, it isn't on DL.com?

It is on DL.com for only one day. I don't think this will be a major rehab...

kimbopotamus
04-20-2005, 04:43 PM
Updating my previous post: It is listed at Disneyland.com that Splash Mountain will be closed on April 21. However, it isn't listed for the 10 days after that. Why? Are they going to close it down for just one day?
Man, I am freaking out here! I have really been excited to take my daughter on this!

bradk
04-20-2005, 04:43 PM
it's on the disneyland.com calendar, but only for tomorrow. there's of course a chance it might be down more than that at anytime unless they get all the kinks out.

mkcbunny
04-20-2005, 05:24 PM
I can't believe they got rid of the old logs, either. At the very least, I thought they would sell them on Disney Auctions, but wait until they knew they wouldn't need them anymore. What I don't quite understand is why they didn't just go to all 2-seaters instead of the weird combo log? A full 2-seater would be great, since you can ride next to someone that way, and it makes the photo op easier, and they can load tiwce as many people. I guess a real 2-seater would be too wide?????? [I haven't seen the new logs up close in person, but it sounds like the back seat isn't a real 2-seat seat but a wide seat, like a 1.5 seat of some sort?]

Hawaiian Cinderella
04-20-2005, 05:33 PM
What I don't quite understand is why they didn't just go to all 2-seaters instead of the weird combo log? A full 2-seater would be great, since you can ride next to someone that way, and it makes the photo op easier, and they can load tiwce as many people. I guess a real 2-seater would be too wide?????? [I haven't seen the new logs up close in person, but it sounds like the back seat isn't a real 2-seat seat but a wide seat, like a 1.5 seat of some sort?]

My daughter and I rode together in the back last month. She kept scooting forward because she couldn't see very well and my husband kept telling her to sit back. I was going to get the picture but it didn't come out because you couldn't see one of us (don't remember who) due to the chair with the high back in front of us.

mkcbunny
04-20-2005, 05:42 PM
My daughter and I rode together in the back last month. She kept scooting forward because she couldn't see very well and my husband kept telling her to sit back. I was going to get the picture but it didn't come out because you couldn't see one of us (don't remember who) due to the chair with the high back in front of us.

That's too bad. The all 2-seat logs at WDW's Splash Mtn are better because you can sit in the front together and both be in the front of the picture. My friend and I finally got a good pic at DL Splash in the old logs, but it took a few years of coordinating which way each of us was going to lean and wave and all [let alone what we actually looked like in the pics; that's a whole different problem!]. I don't remember any vision/blocking isssues in the all 2-seat logs at WDW, so the seat design must be different.

Hawaiian Cinderella
04-20-2005, 05:44 PM
That's too bad. The all 2-seat logs at WDW's Splash Mtn are better because you can sit in the front together and both be in the front of the picture. My friend and I finally got a good pic at DL Splash in the old logs, but it took a few years of coordinating which way each of us was going to lean and wave and all [let alone what we actually looked like in the pics; that's a whole different problem!].

hmmmm I wonder why it doesn't work at DL?

mkcbunny
04-20-2005, 05:48 PM
hmmmm I wonder why it doesn't work at DL?
See the last line I just added above. The 2-seater logs at WDW are designed for two adults to ride side by side in all rows. We usually sit in the front if we can, just because we prefer it, but we've been in the middle, and I KNOW we could see the back of the heads in front of us just fine without blockage because the guy in the front seat was talking to his mother ALL THROUGH THE RIDE and it was driving us crazy.

DangerMouse
04-20-2005, 05:53 PM
It is on DL.com for only one day. I don't think this will be a major rehab...

Oh, so there IS a chance that it may be open during my visit next week (24-27th)? I sure hope so! My ds(5) has been dying to try this ride bc his older sister has been bragging about it for 3 years!

Durliin
04-20-2005, 08:08 PM
it will be closed for one day only to work on the logs that is all.....

mkcbunny
04-20-2005, 08:47 PM
it will be closed for one day only to work on the logs that is all.....
You say "work on," and I picture the Seven Dwarfs whittling the logs down by one row in the back.... LOL.

"Heigh ho, heigh ho, the logs they have to go ..."

HorizonsA
04-20-2005, 09:16 PM
I can't believe they got rid of the old logs, either. At the very least, I thought they would sell them on Disney Auctions, but wait until they knew they wouldn't need them anymore. What I don't quite understand is why they didn't just go to all 2-seaters instead of the weird combo log? A full 2-seater would be great, since you can ride next to someone that way, and it makes the photo op easier, and they can load tiwce as many people. I guess a real 2-seater would be too wide?????? [I haven't seen the new logs up close in person, but it sounds like the back seat isn't a real 2-seat seat but a wide seat, like a 1.5 seat of some sort?]

Yeah, but Disneyland is the only park that has the single-file seating (with the exception of the back seat now), and I don't know about you guys, but I think we should stay unique. You know, like I think it's cool that our Magic Kingdom has Matterhorn Bobsleds and no other Disney park does. Yeah, so based on the uniqueness factor, I think our logs should stay single file. That's just my opinion.

Larilyn
04-20-2005, 09:34 PM
If they changed the logs to the 2 seaters like they have at WDW, they'd have to change the whole track of the ride, because the flumes aren't wide enough for a side by side log as they are.

Disneyfreak
04-21-2005, 12:09 AM
They must know exactly what they need to fix if it is only taking one day to do.

bradk
04-21-2005, 12:53 AM
yes and no. they know what's wrong with the attraction and i'm sure they've been working on paper with it up until now, but it's still very probable that things don't go as planned and the ride will continue to go 101 (although if it starts going 101 again, they know how to avoid it, so it won't be down for long), so it's still possible the ride will go down for repairs again at least once.

The old man
04-21-2005, 05:59 AM
They must know exactly what they need to fix if it is only taking one day to do.
I think they will take it day by day and keep posting a closing until they've got it right with a goal of 5/5/05
David

Durliin
04-21-2005, 09:01 AM
no they know what needs to get done they have been working on the problem around the clock today is suposed to be for testing and Fixing the problem so we can load 7... we did not stop loading 7 people because of its weight it was due to something else that is being fixed...

mkcbunny
04-21-2005, 10:41 AM
If they changed the logs to the 2 seaters like they have at WDW, they'd have to change the whole track of the ride, because the flumes aren't wide enough for a side by side log as they are.
That was my initial thought.

As for the comment about DL Splash being unique, I certainly don't advocate making a change that's problematic, as it is now with the current logs. But I don't see the benefit of remaining "unique" on the single-rider rows IF 2-person seating is do-able. Because the lines get so long for that ride as it is, with a 2-seater, you can load twice as many people through, and that would benefit everyone who wants to ride it. Plus you can sit next to your companion.

Again, I'm not at all suggesting they keep the combo logs if they can't fix them, since they obviously don't work well. But if DL could upgrade to a 2-seater successfully, without having post-upgrade problems as they are now, I think it would benefit everyone. And I would even be willing to do without the ride for an extended shutdown, if it came to that. I wouldn't ENJOY the down time, of course, but I'd survive. [And, for the record, it IS my favorite ride, so it would be quite a bummer.]

SeansMom
04-21-2005, 11:31 AM
I'm not sure they really DO know what is wrong or how to fix it. We were there 4/3 to 4/8, and the logs were having problems so the ride was down TWO days. The first day they went down it was maybe 9:30a.m., and we were maybe 5 minutes from loading. We WERE given fastpasses, but it never reopened and as far as I know was closed the entire next day too. We were sad because we'd passed up two pictures with our son (who'd just returned from Iraq) because we knew we had two more days to try for a picture where there wasn't an arm or hand in front of someone's face, etc. *sigh* Hope they have it all figured out by our next trip!

bradk
04-21-2005, 12:56 PM
i think when you were there, they didn't know what the problem was - i.e., were they using the back seat? initially, the ride went 101 a lot because they didn't realize that using the back seat triggered the e-stop (for lack of a better term). after they realized it, they stopped using the back seat for the remainder of april and it's my impression that the ride functioned just fine.

according to someone else here, it has something to do with the ride sensing when someone exits the vehicle (which is technically a weight issue i'm sure).

Vegitabeta
04-21-2005, 01:14 PM
You could get two people on a seat if they were thin!