PDA

View Full Version : Is an AP better than a 5-day park hopper? What to do?

ima_mickeyfan
04-20-2005, 07:59 AM
I have purchased 2 adult and 4 children 5 day park hopper with our vacation pkg. now I am wondering why I was'nt offered an AP instead (obviously so we buy more tickets next year), seems to me that they are they same price right? except for the childrens passes which is $30 more apiece. ok here's my question, if I call the travel co. back and request the AP's instead, 1 - Do we loose out on the early entry to the park & the Mickey's toon town madness, 2- do we get a discount on our hotel room Suite and 3-do I switch now or wait till we get to the park, I have seen some people post that they wait untill the last day to upgrade, is there an extra charge to do and why wait till the end? I am so confussed! :confused: :(

Osky
04-20-2005, 08:05 AM
I have seen some people post that they wait untill the last day to upgrade, is there an extra charge to do and why wait till the end? I am so confussed! :confused: :(

People wait till the last day because the annual pass that they are upgrading to has block out dates. If you upgrade on day one, and your pass is blocked out on day three, you are hosed. However, if you use it every day, and then upgrade the last day, you are not affected by the blockouts on your current trip. If the day that you upgrade is blocked out (if the last day is blocked out) you are exempt from the blockout on the day you upgrade.

Osky
04-20-2005, 08:07 AM
1 - Do we loose out on the early entry to the park & the Mickey's toon town madness, 2- do we get a discount on our hotel room Suite and

1. Not sure about this, but I think they give you an extra ticket. (So even if you change your admission media, you still have the early entry ticket)
2. With an AP, you can get a discount on rooms, but only if you book direct with the hotels. I have not found a way to get the discount *and* book with a vacation package.

ima_mickeyfan
04-20-2005, 08:08 AM
People wait till the last day because the annual pass that they are upgrading to has block out dates. If you upgrade on day one, and your pass is blocked out on day three, you are hosed. However, if you use it every day, and then upgrade the last day, you are not affected by the blockouts on your current trip. If the day that you upgrade is blocked out (if the last day is blocked out) you are exempt from the blockout on the day you upgrade.
do you have to pay extra to upgrade for the adults? does everyone have the same blockout dates? all the AP holders?

hlbtimes2
04-20-2005, 08:10 AM
Yes, there is a price difference. Right now, if I'm not mistaken, an AP is $209 vs a 5 day park hopper at $169 or maybe its $159?

Osky
04-20-2005, 08:13 AM
do you have to pay extra to upgrade for the adults?

As far as I know, you only pay the difference.

ima_mickeyfan
04-20-2005, 08:14 AM
Yes, there is a price difference. Right now, if I'm not mistaken, an AP is $209 vs a 5 day park hopper at $169 or maybe its $159? I thought I saw on the DL web site that a 5 day and an AP are the same price. we are not going on during the "sale" price for the tickets.

hlbtimes2
04-20-2005, 08:24 AM
I thought I saw on the DL web site that a 5 day and an AP are the same price. we are not going on during the "sale" price for the tickets.

If you look a little further down the price list, it will show a "prepurchased" park hopper is discounted over the "bought at the gate" price. $209 is the gate price, the other price is what you pay with a package deal.

ima_mickeyfan
04-20-2005, 08:27 AM
If you look a little further down the price list, it will show a "prepurchased" park hopper is discounted over the "bought at the gate" price. $209 is the gate price, the other price is what you pay with a package deal.
ic :)

atalmi
04-20-2005, 08:35 AM
Are the AP prices at DL different than the ones posted on their website. We will be upgrading our 5 day hoppers this week, so just wondering?

Darkbeer
04-20-2005, 09:36 AM
First, ONLY the ParkHoppers get the Early Entry and ESPN Zone game card, so do NOT get an AP voucher.

Mickey's Toontown Mdness is a special ticket, so you could get that if you got an AP voucher.

If you are buying a package, there is already a "built-in" discount, and no other discounts are valid. Some days, an AP discount is available if you go a la carte, and reserve directly with the hotel. The best place to check that type of info is MouseSavers.com.

The best thing to do is to upgrade on the last day, as mentioned earlier, you get the Early Entry and ESPN Zone game card and you don't have to worry about blockout days if you get the Deluxe AP.

You pay the difference in what the ParkHopper cost in relations to the AP you want (Deluxe $209, Premium $329). AP's do not come with a kids price, anyone 3 and older pays the same price.

atalmi
04-20-2005, 09:45 AM
I assume that both the park hopper and AP can use the fastpass?

kohl
04-20-2005, 09:51 AM
I assume that both the park hopper and AP can use the fastpass?

Yes, both can use the fastpass

ima_mickeyfan
04-20-2005, 10:05 AM
can you park hop with an AP pass?

stan4d_steph
04-20-2005, 10:12 AM
can you park hop with an AP pass?Yes, the AP is for both parks.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
04-20-2005, 01:10 PM
When we got our APs last May, they were $179. We had paid $129 for a 5 day parkhopper and had decided to stay in the park one more day. It only cost us 25 cents more to upgrade to a Deluxe AP, so it was worth it since we knew we would be back in a year, at least once.
Now they are $209 so you have to really be sure you will be back again. Adult and kids prices are the same for an AP.

Aussie MouseFan
04-20-2005, 03:00 PM
I have always purchased a 5 Day hopper, then upgrade to the Deluxe on the last day. Best of both worlds IMO

Then I plan my next trip to avoid any block out dates.

;)

ima_mickeyfan
04-20-2005, 03:03 PM
We are thinking of going back next year, that is why I was wondering about upgrading. that way we only have the expense of airfare and hotel. I was telling dh that it's a good excuse to make sure we go back! lol
Or for that matter, sending our boys on spring break to their Aunts house and she could take them.