PDA

View Full Version : WDW regular needs help with DL trip

DizMagic
04-19-2005, 10:08 AM
OK folks - i am usually over at the WDW site - being an East coaster and all. But my partner and I have finally decided to brave the airways (both afraid of flying) and make the haul out to the west coast to see some family (and of course the 50th anniversary at DL). Our tentative dates are arriving at and the hotel (HoJo or BW PPI) around lunch on 6/4 and spending that day in DCA. 6/5 spend all day in DL. 6/6 morning re-do anything we want/miss - fly out that evening. My questions are (for now):
Best Western Park Place Inn or Howard Johnson's
Any good places for hotel and/or ticket discounts (I already know about mousesavers).
Any not to be missed extras. (I know about all of the rides what I am looking for is overlooked or hidden gems - not hidden mickeys.)
Any other hints/suggestions appreciated.

THANKS!

stan4d_steph
04-19-2005, 10:20 AM
I would suggest checking out the MousePlanet Review Database (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi?product-category=Disneyland%20Resort) for MP reader reviews of hotels and restaurants at the DLR.

For discounts check out the MousePlanet DL Update (published weekly) for a roundup of current offerings. Here's the one for this week (http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr050418.htm).

DisneylandForever
04-19-2005, 10:48 AM
Hey DizMagic! I can relate to you. I am a DL regular planning a trip to WDW for the first time this year, and I am lost! LOL

Discount websites: I don't use many. I have heard of one called "mouse saver" or something on the boards here, but I have yet to visit it. I'm sure some other padders will come through for you on that one.

Park Place or HoJo: Park Place is closer, but the HoJo is superior. Better everything, pretty much. The Park Place feels just like another Best Western to me. But it is the closest non-Disney hotel to the main gates. However that's its only advantage over the HoJo.

Hidden gems: Hmmm. I would say the little things like ambiance are important to soak up. Eat lunch at the River Belle Terrace and sit outside, in view of the Rivers of America. Walk through (not by) New Orleans Square, past the shops, even if you don't plan on buying anything. The Disneyana shop on Main Street always has cool stuff to look at. Do you guys have a juice bar at the WDW Tiki Room? If not, stop by ours and get yourself a Dole Whip! Storybookland at night is terrific.

Those are just a few things to get you started. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

bradk
04-19-2005, 11:00 AM
it's a bit late, but it's worth a shot: you can call all the hotels that interest you and ask if there's an entertainment rate available. the entertainment rate is 50% off the rack price. if you can get the rate, you just have to buy the entertainment card which is $15 for the rest of the year (sometime in november i think).

for example, i have 3 nights at hojo. first night entertainment wasn't available (because they had reached their quota), so i took the mousesavers rate of 15% off the standard internet rate, which was about $58. but i got the entertainment rate for the next two nights of $50, so 2 nights alone paid for the card, plus i can use it for whatever other benefits it offers.

how each hotel handles the rate is different. in hojo's case, they evidently open up the whole year at once, so as long as they haven't filled 80% of their rooms for whatever date, they'll give you the entertainment rate. other hotels make you wait until 30 days prior to see what their vacancies are.

you aren't going to find much in hopper discounts. my best advice is to buy them in advance through disneyland.com. free shipping and usually buying in advance gives you a price break. if not, arestravel.com usually charges about $5 less per ticket, but there's an order fee of about $5 too, so it only helps if you're buying more than one ticket at a time.

mkcbunny
04-19-2005, 01:13 PM
These are not hidden, but ... Be sure to visit Fantasyland, even if more "thrilling" rides are your thing, as it's much more intimate and [IMO] magical that at WDW. Ride Alice, since Magic Kingdom doesn't have it. Matterhorn, too. And be sure to hit Pirates of the Caribbean. DL version is MUCH more elaborate.

bradk
04-19-2005, 01:17 PM
mr. toad is long gone from wdw as well.

mkcbunny
04-19-2005, 01:43 PM
mr. toad is long gone from wdw as well.

Ah, yes. Forgot about Toad. There are several other things, as well [casey jr. train, story boats, etc], so it's up to you what you want to fit in. The main point is to note how much more there is at DL Fantasyland. And Alice and Matterhorn are, IMO, the best things DL Fantasyland has over MK.

Mark Goldhaber
04-24-2005, 10:13 PM
Discount websites: I don't use many. I have heard of one called "mouse saver" or something on the boards here, but I have yet to visit it. I'm sure some other padders will come through for you on that one.
Clicky (http://www.mousesavers.com). There are separate links in the left-hand menu for Walt Disney World and Disneyland resorts.

Disneyfreak
04-24-2005, 10:40 PM
OK folks - i am usually over at the WDW site - being an East coaster and all. But my partner and I have finally decided to brave the airways (both afraid of flying) and make the haul out to the west coast to see some family (and of course the 50th anniversary at DL). Our tentative dates are arriving at and the hotel (HoJo or BW PPI) around lunch on 6/4 and spending that day in DCA. 6/5 spend all day in DL. 6/6 morning re-do anything we want/miss - fly out that evening. My questions are (for now):
Best Western Park Place Inn or Howard Johnson's
Any good places for hotel and/or ticket discounts (I already know about mousesavers).
Any not to be missed extras. (I know about all of the rides what I am looking for is overlooked or hidden gems - not hidden mickeys.)
Any other hints/suggestions appreciated.

THANKS!

May I ask how you knew it was Disneyland's 50th anniversary if you didn't already know the opening date? The reason I ask is because the way Disney is advertising it seems like WDW is the place to be for the 50th.

DizMagic
04-25-2005, 07:13 AM
DisneyFreak. I am a regular to WDW and to the WDW sites on this page and others - I guess I picked up the correct information about it being DL's 50th Bday somewhere along the way. Also, even if it wasn't - I would still be going to DL in June. We are going to WA state to visit some family. I have never been to the west coast and don't know if I will ever get a chance to go back - so I figuered in a side trip to Disney (yeah!)

Thanks,

SuefromRI
04-26-2005, 04:34 PM
Make sure that you stop and appreciate the detail on the exterior of Small World. It's so different than WDW. Also, even if you don't go inside much of Fantasyland walk through and feel the quaint coziness and detail of it.

Niwel
04-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Make a wish at Snow White's grotto, enjoy the ambiance of New Orleans Square, eat lunch at the Blue Bayou and Mickey Mouse pancakes at River Belle Terrace. :)